U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,782 posts, read 54,440,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Dad was electronics engineer, Mostly doing Radar Systems,
Mom was secretary , then home maker/Mother, then Office manager, then Executive assistant.

Older Sister SR Executive assistant to CEO of Multi-Million Company.
Me Computer System Programmer.
Sister Department Level Executive assistant
Sister HR Manager
Wow, that's weird, same with mine. He worked for the US Navy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 07:59 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,319,935 times
My mom was a RN and Dad was several different things. He went to school on the GI Bill after WWII to be an accountant so I'll just use that. No I haven't done either of these things.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:45 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,255,667 times
No. My mother was a housewife and my father was a mold maker for cars. My sister is a housewife and my other sister is a gas station attendant. I am an Ivy League graduate working towards my PhD. I took quite the departure from my family. I am the youngest in my family and I think that is the reason why I chose such a different path.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:27 PM

79 posts, read 80,640 times
Kind of... For a while. Dad was a cop. Mom had different jobs but mostly labor in a lumber mill. I worked for a few years at the same mill, doing the same job. As she intended, lesson learned; I didn't want to be a millworker. College (first in the family) then military.

My military job was in health care. I got out after 5 years because I had taken an aptitude test and it showed that the proverbial apple indeed doesn't fall far. Some crafty marketing by state police agencies piqued my interest and I embarked on a decade+ LE career.

Though I enjoyed being a cop, I learned what people were making (WAYYY more than LE) doing what I did in the military with my education. I completed my Masters, turned in my badge and gun and am now what could be classified as a health care administrator.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Not even close for career, but quite close in hobbies that make money (much more than career earnings), and having the eye / skill / ability to envision a successful venture. Wage income is about to become VERY unpopular.

I don't want to follow my parent's lead in POST retirement matters.

(they went broke several times... Both I and spouse were left with $xxx,xxx of our parent's debt to cover. (family and friends)

I don't plan to go there... but one insurance claim / medical event during my 50+ yrs of retirement can seal my doom. (I stay well insured, but $20k deductible / yr medical and can add up + liability exposure and hungry attorneys )

My odds are not good.... (Heredity / genetics / 40 yrs hazardous chemical exposure / growing up under power lines / farming in high uranium soils, weaned on the smokestack of a diesel tractor for 16 hrs / day, & statistics)

Old 07-08-2014, 01:07 AM

6,561 posts, read 3,662,092 times
Nope...two sons and neither one followed the parents' job choices. We followed them in other ways.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:45 AM

3,946 posts, read 4,139,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
My parents now deceased were musicians, farmers, and a machinist.
All of us children are musical, some professional. We all also know something about farming,
But only one machinist.
When you chose your profession, what did you choose?
Did your parents occupation influence you?
Were you glad you did?
For the time being, and looking at the big picture for now. Moving onto bigger and better, soon, I hope!

Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 AM

71 posts, read 65,221 times
No, not at all.

My father was a blue collar worker and my mother a sahm.
My mother is mentally ill. We were never encouraged to do anything in life.
She told us we could either be a secretary, hairdresser, or a nurse. That was it. She was really offended by anyone who had an education or made money.

My oldest sister wanted to be a scientist and mother told her that was the stupidest idea ever and to forget it. She went to secretarial school and has had a low level clerical job for the past 20 years. Such a waste.

I worked hard and put myself through school. The first and only one. I've had a pretty successful career in IT.

My mother refused to go to my graduation. I graduated summa *** laude. I guess she was just really envious. When I moved into high paying consulting work, she would insult me asking when I was going to stop messing around with temp work and get a full time job. Yes, she would call me a temp worker lol.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:53 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,579,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trembler View Post
No, not at all.

My father was a blue collar worker and my mother a sahm.
My mother is mentally ill. We were never encouraged to do anything in life.
She told us we could either be a secretary, hairdresser, or a nurse. That was it. She was really offended by anyone who had an education or made money.

My oldest sister wanted to be a scientist and mother told her that was the stupidest idea ever and to forget it. She went to secretarial school and has had a low level clerical job for the past 20 years. Such a waste.

I worked hard and put myself through school. The first and only one. I've had a pretty successful career in IT.

My mother refused to go to my graduation. I graduated summa *** laude. I guess she was just really envious. When I moved into high paying consulting work, she would insult me asking when I was going to stop messing around with temp work and get a full time job. Yes, she would call me a temp worker lol.
Lots of friction there!
Glad to read you rose above it.
Parents should encourage.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:54 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,579,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Not even close for career, but quite close in hobbies that make money (much more than career earnings), and having the eye / skill / ability to envision a successful venture. Wage income is about to become VERY unpopular.

I don't want to follow my parent's lead in POST retirement matters.

(they went broke several times... Both I and spouse were left with $xxx,xxx of our parent's debt to cover. (family and friends)

I don't plan to go there... but one insurance claim / medical event during my 50+ yrs of retirement can seal my doom. (I stay well insured, but $20k deductible / yr medical and can add up + liability exposure and hungry attorneys )

My odds are not good.... (Heredity / genetics / 40 yrs hazardous chemical exposure / growing up under power lines / farming in high uranium soils, weaned on the smokestack of a diesel tractor for 16 hrs / day, & statistics)
Fathers hobby was musical, but also a money making job.
As I said we all followed that path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or