U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2014, 08:35 AM
 
Location: it depends
6,074 posts, read 5,335,268 times
Reputation: 5771

Advertisements

Wife followed her mother into career of 'big spender.' I followed father-in-law into career of 'trying to keep up.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2014, 08:56 AM
 
Location: in the miseries
3,302 posts, read 3,580,382 times
Reputation: 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Wife followed her mother into career of 'big spender.' I followed father-in-law into career of 'trying to keep up.'
Any hope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 09:18 AM
 
Location: it depends
6,074 posts, read 5,335,268 times
Reputation: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Any hope?
Yeah, I finally got ahead of her...but please do not let her know. She would take it as a challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 AM
 
Location: SoCal
6,069 posts, read 9,531,033 times
Reputation: 5807
Dad: mechanical engineer
Mom: sahm and then schoolteacher

offspring:
1) Respiratory therapist
2) Accountant/CPA
3) IT (computer systems) specialist
4) electrical engineer by education, software engineer in reality
5) Accountant/CPA
6) Artist

So ..... nope. I guess I (4) was closest (in fact started in ME but switched to EE), but then veered over to my own course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
Reputation: 19134
My parents left the Dust Bowl, at 8 and 10 years old. They mostly grew-up as migrant farm-workers.

My father; had a soda bottle re-filing operation as a teenager. It got him out from the fields. Then he drove trucks in Alaska, he was building up a fleet of trucks, until one day his trucks all fell through the ice. Then he got into Construction Electrician for the IBEW, and he did that until he was forced to retire from disabilities.

My mother was a migrant farm-worker, with a few gigs working in offices. As she was raising children, we all picked berries.

Eventually they were able to buy their own farm. Income from construction work supported their farm. They never saw farming able to pay for itself.

I went into the military. I got out and went through college. Then I went back into the military and I got the pension.



My siblings: Both of my brothers were drafted during VN. One brother later went into the career of home pest inspector [termites]. The other brother went into Law Enforcement. One sister became a RN. The other sister is an office manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Long Island
8,743 posts, read 12,193,444 times
Reputation: 5048
I'd wager there's more chance of it happening in rural / less populated areas. Especially the blue collar type stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,784 posts, read 4,838,667 times
Reputation: 19458
Nope not at all. Mom was a waitress for her whole life and dad, whom I never really spent time with, was a steelworker. Brothers are a mechanic, a bus driver, and a retired telecommunications supervisor, and I'm a retired energy specialist. My deceased sister was a hairstylist and a bus driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 09:43 PM
 
12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
Reputation: 10910
3rd generation techie on my Dad's line and 2nd generation techie on my Mom's line. I even got a different degree but still ended up in tech! Argghhhh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 AM
 
Location: in the miseries
3,302 posts, read 3,580,382 times
Reputation: 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My parents left the Dust Bowl, at 8 and 10 years old. They mostly grew-up as migrant farm-workers.

My father; had a soda bottle re-filing operation as a teenager. It got him out from the fields. Then he drove trucks in Alaska, he was building up a fleet of trucks, until one day his trucks all fell through the ice. Then he got into Construction Electrician for the IBEW, and he did that until he was forced to retire from disabilities.

My mother was a migrant farm-worker, with a few gigs working in offices. As she was raising children, we all picked berries.

Eventually they were able to buy their own farm. Income from construction work supported their farm. They never saw farming able to pay for itself.

I went into the military. I got out and went through college. Then I went back into the military and I got the pension.



My siblings: Both of my brothers were drafted during VN. One brother later went into the career of home pest inspector [termites]. The other brother went into Law Enforcement. One sister became a RN. The other sister is an office manager.
Very interesting early upbringing.
I bet you are a conscientious hard worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 07:03 AM
 
Location: in the miseries
3,302 posts, read 3,580,382 times
Reputation: 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
3rd generation techie on my Dad's line and 2nd generation techie on my Mom's line. I even got a different degree but still ended up in tech! Argghhhh!
Very lucrative I bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top