U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 04:54 AM

38,208 posts, read 14,924,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I am fair-skinned and so I'm aware of the sun and catch only about 20 min of it on some days rear-round to be sure to get natural Vitamin D. The other reason for the short stint is so I don't get weathered skin. I sit in the sun outside of the hours of 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. I don't wear sunscreens or lotions.

Today I got yelled at ("friends giving unsolicited advice") that I'm going to get cancer. There's argument for and against using sunscreen and I wonder what you all think and do. Here's an argument against:

Scientists Blow The Lid on Cancer & Sunscreen Myth | REALfarmacy.com | Healthy News and Information
Interesting study. By protecting ourselves from the sun, we get less vitamin D and are thus susceptible to all sorts of medical conditions associated with lack of vitamin D.

An aunt had basel cell carcinoma patches removed from her face and hands for years. Also from her lower back which was never, ever bared to the sun. If she ever wore a swimming suit, you can bet it was a one piece.

I use sunscreen to avoid sunburn if I will be out in the middle of the day. Some of my face creams have 15 level sunscreen. If I got hot, it melts into my eyes and stings so I have quite using them.

I garden in the morning and evening. Stay in the shade when I swim. So I get low levels of vitamin D and avoid sunburn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 05:01 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
My dermatologist says all you need is 30 minutes in the sun, daily, to activate skin cancer cells. She also mentioned anything under SPF-50 is practically useless. She and other docs I've talked to say people over 50 are the most susceptible to having serious skin cancer problems as they age. I've had 28 skin cancer procedures and have witnessed in the doctors office how severe and serious this skin cancer problem can be. Some people have lost parts of their ears, noses and lips. It's not a pretty sight to see.
That's a wake-up call, thanks for posting.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:09 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I live in southern New Mexico and am outdoors much of the time. When working in the yard I am totally covered up and use #60 sunscreen on my face. I ended up with a vitamin D deficiency. You figure. So now, I try to get a bit tanned up and it being summer, lay out about 4 hours a week or so with no sunscreen at all. So I guess we are supposed to get some sun and not use all that sunscreen.
I read to stay out of direct sun when it's strongest, from 11 to 2.

My son and DIL have active outdoor jobs. Really active. At 30, they are tanned and healthy and generally don't use sunscreen unless they go to the beach or on their boat. I also know folks even at our age who tan beautifully, they're out in their gardens or yards and don't wear sunscreen, maybe just a hat.

I wonder if there's a difference in risk between puttering in the sun in shorter spurts and lying for hours in a swimsuit on a lounge chair or beach? I also wonder if as we age we need to be much more protective.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:55 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,300,496 times
My wife as melanoma and uses sunscreen when ever see goes outside. She sees a skin doctor twice a year to get checked over.

She forced me to go to her doctor to get checked over for skin cancer since I spend a lot of time outside and never use sun blocker. After the exam the doctor said I was fine and that I don't need to come back. The doctor continued to say that I do not have skin that is susceptible to cancer and that I don't need to worry.

This was news to me that there was skin types that are not sun sensitive.

I can't remember the last time I had sun burn. However, I don't work outside without a shirt and a hat so that helps and the fact that I'm retired and can get out of the sun whenever I want is good also.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:58 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,580,382 times
Always wear sunscreen. Even have lotions with SPF in them.
You wouldn't want the bulbous nose that may result.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM
gg

17,931 posts, read 18,258,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
She also mentioned anything under SPF-50 is practically useless.
I think you may have misheard this. SPF 50 would be a waste of money because it isn't needed. SPF 30 is more than enough and even that is pretty ridiculous.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:13 AM
gg

17,931 posts, read 18,258,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Interesting study. By protecting ourselves from the sun, we get less vitamin D and are thus susceptible to all sorts of medical conditions associated with lack of vitamin D.
Best advice is don't burn yourself, but get some sun. Sun is good for you, unless you have a bunch of moles and burn really easily.

Doctors aren't trained to be harmonious with nature, they are usually on some ego trip and feel they control nature. That is why they pass out pills all the time instead of looking at the real issues. Sun has benefits to the body. We were designed to be in the sun. Some folks can be in the sun all day with no protection at all and they don't burn, some folks can burn easily. Just use some common sense and don't burn yourself.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:29 AM

8,618 posts, read 9,684,845 times
Quote:
I am fair-skinned and so I'm aware of the sun and catch only about 20 min of it on some days rear-round to be sure to get natural Vitamin D. The other reason for the short stint is so I don't get weathered skin. I sit in the sun outside of the hours of 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. I don't wear sunscreens or lotions.

Today I got yelled at ("friends giving unsolicited advice") that I'm going to get cancer. There's argument for and against using sunscreen and I wonder what you all think and do. Here's an argument against:

Scientists Blow The Lid on Cancer & Sunscreen Myth | REALfarmacy.com | Healthy News and Information
I don't spend enough time outdoors to require sunscreen. If I plan to spend a day at the river or lake then, yeah, definitely going to use it. I'm not fair skinned and I've never had a sunburn...even growing up in AZ and spending all day outdoors! I used to have people asking all the time if I was Mexican. lol

My mom has always been fair complexioned and was born and raised in Australia where going to the beach was a regular thing. She has had numerous small spots removed that 'could have' become cancerous.

When I was teenager I remember mixing iodine with baby oil for suntan lotion. I only did that a few times but I do believe it worked!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:35 AM

663 posts, read 816,653 times
Quote:

Your link is total baloney. Don't believe any of it.

In the very least you should wear sunscreen on your face, neck, and tips of your ears, and you should wear a wide brimmed hat. You can absorb all the natural Vit D you need through your arms and legs.

You do NOT want any skin cancers on your face, especially your forehead, or your ears. The surgeries to remove even tiny basal or squamous cancers can be disfiguring. I know because I have had these surgeries - called Mohs surgery - and it is expensive, and you often have to have skin grafts to replace the thin skin removed from your ears.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:36 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,172,097 times
I don't spend enough time in the sun, typically, to require sun screen. When I am on a beach, yes, I use sunscreen or I would fry. I have very fair skin.

I try to get outdoors daily. I wrote an article on SADD about 20 years ago and my research showed that 40 minutes a day in cloudy weather or about 20 minutes a day in sunshine, is enough to keep the body's circadian rhythm synchronized -- and also allows the body to produce Vitamin D.

I do not have Vit. D deficiency so I guess my method is working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or