U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:49 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,647,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
You do NOT want any skin cancers on your face, especially your forehead, or your ears. The surgeries to remove even tiny basal or squamous cancers can be disfiguring. I know because I have had these surgeries - called Mohs surgery - and it is expensive, and you often have to have skin grafts to replace the thin skin removed from your ears.
I've had Mohs surgery twice on my face for skin cancer and fortunately it didn't leave me disfigured, but the scars are very visible.

I wear sunscreen on my face every day whether I'm going out or not. However, I firmly believe that the sun damage that led to my skin cancers started with numerous bad sunburns when I was a kid (I am very fair-skinned), and that the use of sunscreen on my face now is like closing the barn door after the horse has run away.

I try never to spend an extended period of time in the sun, but if I have to spend more than a few minutes in the sun I wear a Tilley hat with a wide brim all around, and 30+ sunscreen on all exposed skin. I learned as a child that sunburn HURTS. (Aaaaah, Noxzema!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,900,996 times
I wear SPF 30 on my arms, neck and face even if I just go out for a few minutes to look at the garden. Often times I end up staying out there longer than I thought I would. Anyway, from what I've read, most of your sun exposure comes from these short stints between the house and the car or out to pick up the mail, or just running out to the store, walking across the parking lot. It all adds up.

My dermatologist said that most of the damage was done decades ago before we knew any better. Yet anything now will just add to the damage that was done. Sunscreen is in my survival kit--my purse. Also in the car and by the front and back doors. One of my favorites can be bought in CVS and it's just a jar of zinc oxide cream but others are by Avalon or maybe Aveeno. Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Those ingredients are supposed to be safe although there are other safe ones too. Google is your friend--I should check again and see what's up to date because there are some unsafe ingredients out there and newer, safer things are getting approved.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:28 AM

8,410 posts, read 9,160,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
My dermatologist says all you need is 30 minutes in the sun, daily, to activate skin cancer cells. .
Given the choice of only being outside for less than 30 minutes a day or risking skin cancer, I'll take my chances.

IMO the health and psychological benefits of being active and outdoors far outweigh the risk of developing skin cancer

Old 07-08-2014, 10:41 AM

6,075 posts, read 9,543,766 times
I suppose everyone's susceptibility to sun damage is different.

I'm ridiculously pale. I used to use sunscreen religiously. Last summer I was found to have a severe vitamin D deficiency. So now I'm somewhat less rigorous in my sunscreen usage.

I have had several severe sunburns as a kid, before the danger was known. Fortunately (so far) no ill consequences from that.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:45 AM

6,409 posts, read 3,594,818 times
The Employee Wellness Program (in Florida) asked this on employee questionnaire when I was still working. I replied that my sunscreen is a roof and 4 walls.

I only go out 2 or 3 times a week now. Drive to the store, run to the store, inside shopping, then run back to my car. I HATE the sun, heat, and humidity of South Florida, and I will not go outside unless it is absolutely necessary.

My husband calls me "the Vampire". Still hot and humid at night, but at least there is no horrible Florida Sun.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:23 AM

6,409 posts, read 3,594,818 times
Little personal story if you don't mind. The last year before I retired I had playground duty from Noon to 2. Absolute nightmare for me and many a time I just wanted to run away. I went out and bought a huge straw sombrero, UVF long sleeved shirt, and long pants. I stood under the nearest tree (not palm tree). You cannot imagine how BLINDING, HOT, and HUMID South Florida can be in the early Summer sun.

My transplanted co-workers razzed me on how I dressed. They WORSHIPPED the Florida sun. One day a Cuban custodial worker came up to me and COMPLIMENTED me on my mode of dress. "These Gringos are crazy", she said. She was wearing the same type of hat, long sleeves, and long pants that I wore. She rolled up her sleeve, took off her watch, and said, "Do you see a TAN LINE there?" "You COVER UP, or stay inside, in Tropical places", she said.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:03 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,245,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My dermatologist said that most of the damage was done decades ago
Heh.
Baby oil on the body, lemon juice on the hair.
If we couldn't get to Huntington Beach, we laid out in the backyard.
For years.

Now I'm almost as white as clean polar bear.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:10 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,737,802 times
I don't use sunscreen at all but might if I were going to spend an inordinate amount of time outside during peak hours. I prefer to wear a big hat and cover up over using a product. I think sunshine is good for us - just not in excess.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:23 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,315,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I suppose everyone's susceptibility to sun damage is different.

I'm ridiculously pale. I used to use sunscreen religiously. Last summer I was found to have a severe vitamin D deficiency. So now I'm somewhat less rigorous in my sunscreen usage.

I have had several severe sunburns as a kid, before the danger was known. Fortunately (so far) no ill consequences from that.
Same here, very pale; it's either too muggy to be out or have to cover up due to all the bugs. I swear a horse fly bit me on the leg yesterday through my Levi's. I got burned a few times as a kid but only lived ten years in a sun state so I need more sun than I get. I haven't used sunscreen in at least five years. I would only use it now on my chest, ears and nose. I don't even have a farmer's tan yet.

LMAO, Jo, growing up in SoFla we never went to the beach as a family, only when skipping school. Never any locals, just tourists.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:47 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,630,605 times
My facial moisturizer has sunscreen in it and I use it every day. I use sunscreen on exposed areas of my body if I'm going to one of the grandkids' sports games but not for normal outdoor activity. I also figure any damage was done long ago as I grew up on Florida beaches, never heard of sunscreen back then, and got a few bad burns. I'm sure I'll be sorry later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or