U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 PM

39,591 posts, read 47,849,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I think you may have misheard this. SPF 50 would be a waste of money because it isn't needed. SPF 30 is more than enough and even that is pretty ridiculous.
Not so, more and more gp doctors and dermatologists are recommending SPF-50 as the higher the number the better the protection. SPF 30 users rarely apply enough for protection.
Sunscreen Ideally Available in SPF 50, 30 and 15 as High Quality Skin Protector

SPF 30 keeps out 97 percent and SPF 50 keeps out 98 percent...that 1% makes a big difference in the majority of UV skin cancer cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 02:30 PM

19,913 posts, read 18,921,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Heh.
Baby oil on the body, lemon juice on the hair.
If we couldn't get to Huntington Beach, we laid out in the backyard.
For years.

Now I'm almost as white as clean polar bear.
Heh heh, I remember the baby oil. We even made REFLECTORS out of a sheet of cardboard covered with aluminum foil. Lying at the beach or in the backyard for HOURS at a time to get a tan.

I wear lotion constantly now and even a straw hat with a wide brim but still I am tan! Never been deficient in vitamin D though because it's in my daily vitamins, even in the winter I always test okay for vitamin D.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:04 PM

6,411 posts, read 3,600,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Heh heh, I remember the baby oil. We even made REFLECTORS out of a sheet of cardboard covered with aluminum foil. Lying at the beach or in the backyard for HOURS at a time to get a tan.

I wear lotion constantly now and even a straw hat with a wide brim but still I am tan! Never been deficient in vitamin D though because it's in my daily vitamins, even in the winter I always test okay for vitamin D.
I live in FLORIDA year round. Very few people up north know that based on the way I look. I am NOT SUPER TANNED from living in the "Sunshine State" year round, because I work on it NOT TO BE. I learned very early on after moving to Florida, that the highest SPF only prevents you from getting SUNBURN. It does not prevent you from TANNING. I don't want to be tan, so my roof and 4 walls is far better.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:05 PM

2,442 posts, read 1,680,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Same here, laying out to get a tan and I had some wicked sunburns as a kid which may haunt me as I get older.

We sail so I've used sunblock and good sunglasses for years now. My grand kids get slathered up without fail in FL, I'm glad their parents don't blow it off.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:21 PM

13,346 posts, read 25,607,620 times
I had two blistering sunburns (with fainting!) as a teenager and very little since, especially since I work third shift. I am never in the sun. When I vacation out West, I do wear sunscreen religiously, largely because I am quite fair and burn very easily. I came back from last vacation with a tanned face, and got all sorts of compliments for how good I looked. It's very tempting, isn't it? Your eyes show up more against a tanned skin. But the women I know who were beach goers earlier in life (and maybe smokers, too) look more and more like saddles as time passes. I also take Vit. D for a low level and I do think it's due to working third shift.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:14 PM

19,913 posts, read 18,921,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I live in FLORIDA year round. Very few people up north know that based on the way I look. I am NOT SUPER TANNED from living in the "Sunshine State" year round, because I work on it NOT TO BE. I learned very early on after moving to Florida, that the highest SPF only prevents you from getting SUNBURN. It does not prevent you from TANNING. I don't want to be tan, so my roof and 4 walls is far better.
Well that's interesting. So it only prevents you from burning, not from tanning. I don't really want to be tan either but I'm an outdoor cat. I mean, I would just die if I had to stay inside all the time. I love the outdoors, fresh air. I love gardening or just sitting on the deck.

I think my wake up call occurred in Florida back when I was in my twenties and a friend pointed out some woman's brown spotted hands. He said, "look at her face, all wrinkled and she's probably not even that old." I was young enough to still be vain and to not want wrinkles and brown spots. Now the issue is more one of not wanting to get skin cancer.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:22 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,532,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Not so, more and more gp doctors and dermatologists are recommending SPF-50 as the higher the number the better the protection. SPF 30 users rarely apply enough for protection.
Sunscreen Ideally Available in SPF 50, 30 and 15 as High Quality Skin Protector

SPF 30 keeps out 97 percent and SPF 50 keeps out 98 percent...that 1% makes a big difference in the majority of UV skin cancer cases.
My dermatologist also recommended SPF-50 or higher. When I mentioned this on another forum, several members posted internet articles that SPF-30 was sufficient. There are a couple of studies that found that a higher SPF was needed in high altitudes and I live in an area that is at 5000-6000 ft elevation and regularly travel to areas at 7000 ft or higher (and I live in the southwest). The intensity of the sun increases about 6% with every 1000 ft increase in altitude. Other internet articles state that most people don't apply enough sunscreen or reapply at adequate intervals and the higher SPF may give you a little more protection in those cases. One article indicated that the sunscreen does not get absorbed as well into the skin in dry climates like the southwest. I am fair skinned with family history of melanoma and had some bad sunburns during childhood. Also I'm allergic to the chemical sunscreens and have to use the mineral sunscreens which are generally SPF-50 or higher anyway.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:54 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,680,623 times
I like the mineral ones myself. There is no doubt about whether you put it on an area, it needs rubbed in to somewhat disappear.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:13 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,587,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
Your link is total baloney. Don't believe any of it.

In the very least you should wear sunscreen on your face, neck, and tips of your ears, and you should wear a wide brimmed hat. You can absorb all the natural Vit D you need through your arms and legs.

You do NOT want any skin cancers on your face, especially your forehead, or your ears. The surgeries to remove even tiny basal or squamous cancers can be disfiguring. I know because I have had these surgeries - called Mohs surgery - and it is expensive, and you often have to have skin grafts to replace the thin skin removed from your ears.
My bh had MOHs surgery on his nose. Disfiguring, but on a man not so bad.
An inverted 7 half inch by an inch.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:29 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,960,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I wonder about the difference between moving around in the sun, as in working in the fields, and lying about on a beach. If there's a difference.

Anyway, I now feel I ought to use sunscreen at all times but that somehow feels unnatural. Not having any sun exposure means I have to get vitamin D from a bottle.
Well the more you sweat (or get wet) - the more you have to reapply sunscreen.

Also - it's possible to get a vitamin D deficiency even if you're out in the sun a fair amount. Especially if you're older.

Furthermore, an elderly person over the age of 70 produces <30% of the vitamin D of a young person with the same sun exposure - See more at: Vitamin D Deficiency: The Silent Epidemic of the Elderly | International Society for Clinical Densitometry (ISCD)

It's impossible to spend more than 5 minutes outside here in the summer in the afternoon without sweating (and having any sunscreen run into my eyes). So I pretty much avoid spending too much time outside then. And - when I am outside - I always wear a hat to keep my head/face shaded. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or