Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,911,665 times

Advertisements

I am fair-skinned and so I'm aware of the sun and catch only about 20 min of it on some days rear-round to be sure to get natural Vitamin D. The other reason for the short stint is so I don't get weathered skin. I sit in the sun outside of the hours of 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. I don't wear sunscreens or lotions.

Today I got yelled at ("friends giving unsolicited advice") that I'm going to get cancer. There's argument for and against using sunscreen and I wonder what you all think and do. Here's an argument against:

Scientists Blow The Lid on Cancer & Sunscreen Myth | REALfarmacy.com | Healthy News and Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 07:49 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,843,313 times
I spent years bicycling and motorcycling in Southern California, so you can bet your sweet bippy I wore sunscreen on any exposed skin (which was more when bicycling and less when motorcycling). If I had not done that, serious sunburn would have been the result.

Now days I rarely use it, because sun exposure of more than 30 minutes or so is rare. I am about to embark on a road trip in my car during which I will be driving all day on some days. On those days I will apply sunscreen on the backs of my hands and wrists and forearms.

I am aware of the Vitamin D issues; I started taking a daily Vitamin D supplement a couple of years ago. But actual sunburn is something I am going to avoid one way or another, and staying out of the sun 24/7 is not my way, as I enjoy the outdoors. Therefore, I will continue some sunscreen use.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,479,583 times
Only when skiing.

I am not much into water sports or beach/pool stuff. As for mtn biking and hiking, it is well forested where I live. No need for sunscreen.

Last edited by Mr5150; 07-07-2014 at 08:58 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 08:12 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,986,493 times
I also am fair skinned and don't leave the house without it. I started getting serious about 10 years ago and now most things I put on my face (generally creams + sunscreen 50+) have some level of sunscreen in them.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:32 PM

5,671 posts, read 11,227,287 times
I am fair skinned and I don't have a lot of hair on my head, so I wear hats that have a wide enough brim to give my face & neck some shade when I walk around outdoors. If I am going to be outdoors for short periods of time, I don't wear sunscreen to cover arms or legs. I never sit in the sun intentionally, just to soak up sun. In my area, sun exposure is not something you have to make an effort to obtain.

I use SPF 50 Ocean Potion sunscreen when I go on bicycle rides that last 2 to 3 hours, several times a week. I also wear a long sleeve shirt most of the time when I bike ride, and finish my rides well before 11 am to avoid the strongest sun exposure. I think wearing sunscreen all the time is overkill for most people unless they are always outdoors. I prefer wearing a hat or a long sleeve shirt to sunscreen if I want to keep sun off of my face and arms.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,925,079 times
Arms and face, yes! Hats too. But it's like closing the barn door after the cow runs off. If only I had been smart enough to do this when I was a kid!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 PM

8,399 posts, read 6,770,093 times
I use sun screen every day even if it's cloudy. Bout of skin cancer several years ago taught me the dangers of sun on unprotected skin.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,911,665 times
I wonder about the difference between moving around in the sun, as in working in the fields, and lying about on a beach. If there's a difference.

Anyway, I now feel I ought to use sunscreen at all times but that somehow feels unnatural. Not having any sun exposure means I have to get vitamin D from a bottle.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:02 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,089,656 times
I live in southern New Mexico and am outdoors much of the time. When working in the yard I am totally covered up and use #60 sunscreen on my face. I ended up with a vitamin D deficiency. You figure. So now, I try to get a bit tanned up and it being summer, lay out about 4 hours a week or so with no sunscreen at all. So I guess we are supposed to get some sun and not use all that sunscreen.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:03 AM

44,554 posts, read 61,277,369 times
My dermatologist says all you need is 30 minutes in the sun, daily, to activate skin cancer cells. She also mentioned anything under SPF-50 is practically useless. She and other docs I've talked to say people over 50 are the most susceptible to having serious skin cancer problems as they age. I've had 28 skin cancer procedures and have witnessed in the doctors office how severe and serious this skin cancer problem can be. Some people have lost parts of their ears, noses and lips. It's not a pretty sight to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement