U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:33 AM

14,458 posts, read 7,961,842 times

Advertisements

The good old days. Hmmmm You mean my 20's when life was all about fun fun fun. The great body, the uncomplicated life, the early relationship with the love of my life? Or, my 30's with the house, a new career, the traveling? Or my 40's with the financial success, still traveling, the friendships that have survived decades. Or my 50's. Well OKAY they haven't been so great but the wisdom, financial independence, taking up roller skating, riding my new bike over 20 miles this week already, John's retirement and taking over all the house hold chores while I feed my work addiction. Now is the time for you more sensitive readers to stop reading. Okay I warned you. The sex How do you choose the good old days when there have been so many?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 11:49 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,329,980 times
'These are the good old days.' -Carly Simon

Carpe Diem

Last edited by CCc girl; 07-08-2014 at 12:14 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,025,446 times
I look back to the good old days: about 6 months ago, when a poster named "I'm Retired Now" wasn't on the message boards, ginning up worthless new posts.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:15 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,722,260 times
There were good old days there were bad old days. There are now days. Right now I am too busy trying to adjust to the present and preparing for the future. I don't have the time to waste living in the old days good or bad.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:20 PM

447 posts, read 574,206 times
The only thing I miss from the good old days is my skinny figure......

Old 07-08-2014, 01:20 PM

39,620 posts, read 47,896,564 times
The 50's were the best of times the 60's were the worst of times. After the Kennedy assassination everything changed.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM

7,124 posts, read 8,180,583 times
YES I think there were "good old days", but they were before I was born. Still I sometimes look at what kids today are doing (I have 6 grandchildren) and worry for their futures.

As I get older (I am almost 67), I find that I spend less time worrying about the past. I have another 15-20 years if I am lucky and follow my family's lifespans. I want to make the most of that time. I am still healthy, still strong, and am blessed with a wonderful family. Worked hard all my life and still do, though I am officially retired. The work has just been transferred to building, serious gardening, raising livestock. I have always loved animals, and am pleased to now have a chance to enjoy them!

Old 07-08-2014, 02:32 PM

1,779 posts, read 2,451,005 times
I don't think that thinking about the "good old days" or times when you had the best fun is living in the past. The good memories make me happy and I like to think about my departed friends who gave me so much pleasure: our partying, dancing, traveling, etc. It reminds me that life was fun for the most part. I do spend a lot of time thinking about it and looking at photos and videos and that causes me to recall more things and I laugh my butt off over some of the things we all did. I don't ever want those things to become the "past" or trivial because they were my life.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:21 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,531,049 times
I never realized how horrific The Good Old Days really were until I got some objective distance from them.

After I quit working so much I had time to do some "introspection". Some of the things I didn't understand when young and other things I was too busy to sort out turned out to be pretty hellish in retrospect.

I had no idea my family of origin was as screwed up as it turns out now that we were, I had no idea just how bloodthirsty and ruthless a lot of my employers really were, and some of my relationships were flat-out laughable as I look back.

It's amazing I'm not dead or in jail.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:59 PM

1,779 posts, read 2,451,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I never realized how horrific The Good Old Days really were until I got some objective distance from them.

After I quit working so much I had time to do some "introspection". Some of the things I didn't understand when young and other things I was too busy to sort out turned out to be pretty hellish in retrospect.

I had no idea my family of origin was as screwed up as it turns out now that we were, I had no idea just how bloodthirsty and ruthless a lot of my employers really were, and some of my relationships were flat-out laughable as I look back.

It's amazing I'm not dead or in jail.

Wow! You've summarized some of my thoughts and experiences. That is why examining the "good old days" is such a trip! It's like reliving some of it with a totally different outlook and then being amazed you survived or didn't end up in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or