Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:17 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,791,339 times

Advertisements

Now that I am old and semi retired I have lots of time on my hands and spend lots of time looking at pictures and thinking about people, places and things from the "good old days." Those were the days. I wonder why there were so many protests in the 1960s, we never knew how good those days were.

What do you think about the past and the people, places and things from the past when you were young? When were the good old days for you and why were they better than today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:39 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,309,862 times
The good ole days for me are right now. I've been retired so long that I can barely remember my working years and my childhood seems like some one else's life.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:59 AM

3,576 posts, read 4,498,790 times
My good ole days are now,too.
Can't change anything.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,663 posts, read 57,799,275 times
Good old days? When healthy, fit, and had healthcare (In the rare event you might actually need it )
Money was not important, either had just enough... or found something cheaper to do!.
Planning... that was for 'retirees' and bosses.
Need a job? only when absolutely necessary !

Those who are retired and in good health have a lot to be grateful for, even more if they have available healthcare! (Just in case...).

This is not a given in much of the world, including the USA.

If you are in good health... ENJOY it! (Don't waste another minute 'working' / accumulating (too-much) for later.

Retire early, retire often!

Old 07-08-2014, 08:45 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,509,692 times
For me today, in many ways, Are the Good Ole Days.

But one thing I do miss...

How society has changed. People seem to be more afraid these days than in the 60s-70s. Less trusting. I see social isolation due to technology. Not good. Kids sitting in their room playing on line games instead of being outside playing with friends. Parents overscheduling their kids so there is no "goof off" time.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,577,587 times
What "good old days"? Time past is time past and the less happy memories fade. To dwell upon the past is such a waste of time but living in the now and looking forward to the future after having learned so much from the past (and continuing to learn more and more with every passing day) is joyful. My today is always better than yesterday and my appreciation of it grows the more I age.

When I was very young I worked for a very odd little man who, on my first day at the job when I wished him a cheery "Good Morning!", solemnly and seriously advised that there was no such thing as a "good" morning because the day one is born is just the beginning of the long decline. Our relationship was short-lived!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:21 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,395,667 times
I've always treasured something or many things about every age of my life. But today has always been the best day of my life.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:30 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,269,607 times
I have viewed life as a journey and there has been no period of "The Good Old Days." I have tried to make every day as good as it can be and haven't spent a lot of time looking backward. I stay focused on moving forward.

Of course, I have treasured memories! But they span my entire lifetime.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:47 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,881,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Now that I am old and semi retired I have lots of time on my hands and spend lots of time looking at pictures and thinking about people, places and things from the "good old days." Those were the days. I wonder why there were so many protests in the 1960s, we never knew how good those days were.

What do you think about the past and the people, places and things from the past when you were young? When were the good old days for you and why were they better than today?
I rarely ever think about the past or the "good old days" which weren't always that "good". I was a child in the 50s and, of course, they were good years. No responsibilities to speak of, no worry about paying the bills or making a living. Had parents to do that 'for me'. Just school, having fun with friends and all that jazz. Fast forward ten years, married, four kids, husband and home to take care of. NOT so "good old days" sometimes. Vietnam going strong and served up a daily death report at dinner every night. Ugh. Depressing. Looking back I don't think the 60s were so great. Lots of upheavel on many levels at home and elsewhere.

I am happy to have made it this far in life and think that EVERY day should be a "good day". I really do try to make it happen. It does nobody a bit of good to sit around and think about the past. You can't change it. You can't live today by yesterday's standards either. It's a whole different world and I really wouldn't want to go back. I do occasional 'nostalgia trips' here and there and I'm usually disappointed.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,663 posts, read 57,799,275 times
One thing I really enjoy about retirement, is the opportunity to make it a GOOD day for someone else!

You have the time to stop and help people in need. That is really great! (For you and for them!)

Consider doing that for your Grandkids! and your neighbor's who may not have access to grandparents.
My own grandparents were a treasure throughout my (Their) life!

Much more than a 'precious memory', they formed my personality, skillsets, attitude, intentions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement