Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,977,965 times

Advertisements

You need to see a WI attorney who deals with inheritance issues. He or she will tell you if you have a case.

I think change of venue, if this goes to trial, is mainly done in the case of notorious criminal trials. I would not expect it to happen in your case, but that is a question for an attorney. Whom you need to see posthaste.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 10:39 AM

4 posts, read 2,758 times
I am not his SO and yes, I am over 18. Wish I could go back...lol. My father had a few houses and cars. He did have some land in another state but I think that was sold prior to his passing. The other assets are personal items.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:46 PM

19,381 posts, read 27,631,199 times
Condolences on the loss of your dad.

Just out of pure curiosity, why do you think you are entitled to his assets instead of the woman he lived with for the last 25 years? (I am assuming that they were still together at the time of his death.)

Old 07-14-2014, 03:09 PM

4 posts, read 2,758 times
The will was dated within 1 year of my father knowing this woman....I know my dad. That is just not the way he was. He was very protective of his belongings. I am asking because my siblings and I are wanting a few of his belongings that really did mean something to us and she is being very sketchy about things. Im not stating she is not entitled to anything but, these small items we are requesting mean nothing to her. I just want to know if I am entitled to those things and if I have any right. I would think that if she is the women she says she is, she would allow this. Within 4 hours of my fathers death she emptied bank accounts, called for VA benefits, etc. That just raised a red flag to me. She has already sold 2 of the 4 houses. I would just hate to see his belongings sold in an estate sale without the option of the children having them.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 AM

19,381 posts, read 27,631,199 times
I sympathize and empathize.

Too late now, but your dad should have either gifted those items to you while he was alive or included them specifically in a written document, preferably a codicil to his will.

I'm assuming that you do not get along with his wife. You do need to see an estate attorney in the statevwhere he resided. That said, it's likely that you have no legal rights to any of his properyy, assets or personal effects. The wisest appriach might be to make nice with his wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement