U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:10 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times

Advertisements

As much as I love the climate in Taos and Santa Fe, I don't think of them as "warm places" and Taos especially has little public transport.
I should think almost any southeastern smallish city would have a suitable climate and public transport. Don't a lot of people retire to small cities in Tennessee and Georgia and all for the climate, or Arkansas?
I personally can't stand humidity, but keep my mind open for places to live where I won't be car-dependent. It's tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 08:16 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,911,600 times
Yes, neither Taos or Santa Fe are warm year-long, but compared to NYC or where I am now (in the Appalachians) it is very comfortable. And, in town, not the outskirts, both are walkable and easy on the feet.

And as a footnote, as a former New Yorker, I did explore the South, and found in fairness to myself the cultural differences, regardless of other pleasures, it might have upset my secularity.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:52 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,322,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
As much as I love the climate in Taos and Santa Fe, I don't think of them as "warm places" and Taos especially has little public transport.
I should think almost any southeastern smallish city would have a suitable climate and public transport. Don't a lot of people retire to small cities in Tennessee and Georgia and all for the climate, or Arkansas?
I personally can't stand humidity, but keep my mind open for places to live where I won't be car-dependent. It's tough.
It sounds like you may like Nevada. You can live in Vegas or Boulder City which is nearby. Both are nice and have good public transit.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:13 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,580,637 times
I would not want to live in FL without a car. How would you evacuate in an emergency? I would not want to be at the mercy of the state. There is a small N.Calif town called Chico. The rents there are not bad for a CA town and the public transportation is very decent. It is a university town and surrounds Chico State. Lots of art, educational programs, etc. It can get chilly, but not like N.Y and the heating bills would not bankrupt you. Best of luck to you.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:24 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,051,697 times
In Chico, the heating bills wouldn't bankrupt you, but the air conditioning might. Hot, hot summers. It's an easy drive up into the Sierras and Lassen Park, tho. Chico State always had the well deserved reputation as a party school. But you might like it if the California vibe isn't too much of a culture shock to New Yorkers. Pretty much polar opposites.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:31 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,580,637 times
It does get a little toasty. They named the baseball team Chico Heat for a reason. LOL

Old 12-19-2007, 05:14 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
In terms of living in a walkable town, many great places are very expensive for just that reason- they're walkable, but not affordable. I think of Santa Fe and San Francisco specifically.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:52 AM

3,752 posts, read 9,604,552 times
The Villages in Central Florida is fully golf cart accessible. Shopping has golf cart access and the entertainment is self contained. They have a variety of sizes of homes and prices. Rentals and purchase.

I have been watching it for some time and thinking about just what you are considering and it might just hit the spot. You dont even have to have a car to get from the Orlando Airport. They will arrange a shuttle service.

thevillages.com

They have a cheap "try us out" week, where you can rent and get meals, entertainment tickets, etc. and see if it is what you are interested in.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,590 times
Might you be thinking of Boca Grande. My ex and I used to vacation there it is near Gasparilla Island close to Port Charlotte, Englewood, Punta Gorda etc.? We always used
golf carts to get around. It is just BEAUTIFUL

Old 12-22-2007, 06:17 PM

137 posts, read 670,349 times
Athens, GA is a great town and so is Peachtree City, GA. Both are good for different reasons. The public transportation system in Athens is excellent and there are lots of rentals within walking distance to everything. Peachtree City is great due to the golf cart paths. They connect everything and you can easily get by without a car. The only place you wouldn't be able to go on golf cart would be the hospital. There are also some decent rentals and a fairly active senior citizen center. The weather is good too. It is hot in the summer, but pleasant the rest of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement