U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 09:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,222,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
Gosh I wish I could remember the name of the town on one of the FL west coast keys that everyone uses golf carts to get around to shopping, library, etc. No license needed! There is little to no car traffic there. Don't know about rentals there, though, I don't think there were many snowbirds in that area.
Sun City Center (Ruskin, FL) is well worth your time to investigate (google for the website). They have shuttles to shopping, performing arts, church, library, etc. Housing for all levels of income. Lots to do in Tampa, Brandon, Sarasota, Bradenton.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 10:59 PM

260 posts, read 798,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolgre View Post
My husband and I currently live in New York City but the cold is really getting to us. My husband is 75 and recently developed very bad arthritis and can barely walk when it gets cold out. I'm 63 and the cold weather is really going through my bones and I barely leave the house when the temperatue drops below 40 degrees.

My question: we don't drive and at our ages, aren't about to learn and get a car. Is there anywhere with a relatively warm climate where you don't need a car to get around (to groceries, libraries, drugstore, etc.)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, we are renters (always have been, always will be) and are not looking to buy.
I agree with a few other posters that The Villages would be a great place for you. You didn't say if you have ever been to any of the southern states in the warmer months (may-sept). I would suggest you spend a year in one area and a year in another and decide if you like dry heat or humidity.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:15 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,528,216 times
oxford missippi seems to be a great place. do you like to be near a college?
If I had $$$$$ I would love to live in Charleston S.C. In Ocala Florida there are many places where you just drive around with the golf cart. Get a pad of paper,
and put down what you want-then compare. Spruce Creek is it Ocala, and is a retirement place. New Tampa, Florida is near lots
and the stores are not far. Wesley Chapel, and the Land o lakes part of Florida. Dade City is more rural, as it st Leo . Renting in Florida, no worry over storms. The bad about Ocala, you need to travel somewhat to find good doctors. the tampa tribune, is the florida paper. or the web site TBO.com will give you an idea of the going ons here.

Last edited by maggiekate; 12-27-2007 at 03:28 PM..

Old 12-30-2007, 05:30 PM

880 posts, read 2,585,825 times
Default Walkable towns...

There are a couple of websites for retiree's that include walkable towns or towns with great public transportation. The problem with walkable towns is that if your within the walkable space, the rents/costs are generally sky high as everyone wants to live in the same few places.

I would suggest that you look into 55+ communities. Many of them are located in warmer climates (Del Web for instance) and you have access to both medical and transportation support.

Portland Oregon is gorgeous. The downtown district of Vancouver WA is going under rehab and may fit your needs.

I have first hand experience with Pleasanton CA if you can afford it. Wonderful town, good transportation for seniors, and the downtown is very walkable. While San Fransisco has good public transportation, I wouldn't call it a good "retirement" area. Lots of traffic, a high cost of living, and while the weather isn't really cold, it's seldom warm either. It's more or less a constant 55-65 degrees year round with some level of variation from time to time abd usually some level of dampness (coastal fog).

Franklin TN is a nice walkable town. And if I remember correctly, they have a senior bus service.

We now live in the Branson area and it's walkable in the downtown areas. There are also lots of senior support groups/transportation facilties that service the general area just because there are so many retirees. Fairly mild winters compared to NY.

Las Vegas has lots of retiree's but unless you land in one of the Del Web type communities, the public transportation is marginal (great on the strip, not so great in the 'burbs"). The weather in the winter is wonderful, but the summer is blistery hot even if there is no humidity.

If I can find the website that speaks to walkable communities or communities with good public transportation I'll post it.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 PM

857 posts, read 4,473,978 times
In my search for the perfect town to retire to I have visited Pinehurst/ Southern Pines, NC. I'm originally from NYC and this place really appealed to me. It was laid out by Fredrick Law Olmstead ( Central Park) and he designed it to look like a New England Village. It is very charming and very walkable, and there is a high percentage of retirees there. It is very golf-oriented, aand I feel like we would have to learn to golf just to fit in, but I can live with that. I think it might be worth your while to look into it. I liked it very much, but my husband isn't sold on it (yet).

Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 AM

186 posts, read 196,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
In my search for the perfect town to retire to I have visited Pinehurst/ Southern Pines, NC. I'm originally from NYC and this place really appealed to me. It was laid out by Fredrick Law Olmstead ( Central Park) and he designed it to look like a New England Village. It is very charming and very walkable, and there is a high percentage of retirees there. It is very golf-oriented, aand I feel like we would have to learn to golf just to fit in, but I can live with that. I think it might be worth your while to look into it. I liked it very much, but my husband isn't sold on it (yet).
Agree with NorthmeetsSouth... Pinehurst or Southern Pines, NC is a good place to investigate. If you live in the villages of pinehurst you will be close to the small shops and deli there. There are really nice and spacious condos you can buy and many retirees so I'm sure they have some kind of transportation for those who don't drive. Surely, there will be neighbors who can help when in need. I am originally from Brooklyn NY and have lived in Annapolis, MD for over 30 years. We moved to Wilmington, NC 2 years ago and now are looking to live in a small town with the feel of NY. Pinehurst has it!! We're in process of searching for a house there or in Southern Pines. Check it out! The Villages in Orlando, Florida may be another option...heard a lot about it. Suggest you plan a 2-week vacation and check out location before you decide. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:15 PM

923 posts, read 2,777,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolgre View Post
My husband and I currently live in New York City but the cold is really getting to us. My husband is 75 and recently developed very bad arthritis and can barely walk when it gets cold out. I'm 63 and the cold weather is really going through my bones and I barely leave the house when the temperatue drops below 40 degrees.

My question: we don't drive and at our ages, aren't about to learn and get a car. Is there anywhere with a relatively warm climate where you don't need a car to get around (to groceries, libraries, drugstore, etc.)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, we are renters (always have been, always will be) and are not looking to buy.
I know of condos in Boynton Beach, FL. All new, cheap rent, hard to believe
but, a beautiful complex and local trolleys take you everywhere. And you are of age.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:58 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,519,100 times
My husband and I currently live in New York City but the cold is really getting to us. My husband is 75 and recently developed very bad arthritis and can barely walk when it gets cold out

carol, I know what you mean about your bones aching . I don't think I ever was so cold as I was today (here on LI) where it is about 18 and the windchill factor makes it much colder even than that. Where oh where is it warm today?

+

Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,519,100 times
terms of living in a walkable town, many great places are very expensive for just that reason- they're walkable, but not affordable. I think of Santa Fe and San Francisco specifically.

I love San Francisco . Have the housing prices come down at all there lately????

Old 01-21-2008, 01:55 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,584,408 times
Some parts of San Fran have actually gone up. I can't believe it. How do most working families survive there. Happy to be in AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement