Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 02:59 PM

419 posts, read 2,018,749 times

Advertisements

When I turn 55 (soon!) I hope to semi retire and move to a golf course community for people that age or higher. I expect life to be so much more relaxed and personable. I expect that instead of worrying about where you are in the corporate hierarchy and social status, people will talk to anyone who they have things in common with.

Am I being naive about the social scene in the era of retirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 05:10 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,642 times
Yes. It can be very difficult to find and make interesting new friends in later life. Especially if you are new to the community you are living in.

As in earlier life, superficiality rules, but as you get older you will find that age discrimination rears its ugly head, and most people you meet already have friends, or don't have time for them.

However it is possible. I moved to a new community, and five years later I have many friends, have become involved in some new creative activities and am very busy. It helps if you have a church you attend regularly, (I don't) or grew up in the place you live (I didn't).

Old 12-19-2007, 08:14 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I worry about making and keeping connections as I get older, never mind retired. It does seem that people in couples/families get very much into the routine of their own closed circles and people who are solo are out of sync (or they're out of sync with us soloists).

Old 12-19-2007, 09:05 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,376 times
Join senior citizen activities of which there are many! . Senior citizen travel, walking groups, redhat ladies (if you're female), community education trips, etc. and many, many more (elderhosteling). Each city has its share. Take classes.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:42 PM

857 posts, read 4,877,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
When I turn 55 (soon!) I hope to semi retire and move to a golf course community for people that age or higher. I expect life to be so much more relaxed and personable. I expect that instead of worrying about where you are in the corporate hierarchy and social status, people will talk to anyone who they have things in common with.

Am I being naive about the social scene in the era of retirement?
I don't know, but I hope so. I am 50 and my husband is 60. We would like to retire sometime in the next few years and move somewhere less violent than the Atlanta area. I have been here for 14 years and haven't made any true friends, just lots of acquaintances, because we are always working. I hope to find someplace suitable in NC or SC where there are lots of peopel our own age to play with. I have kept in touch with my friends in NY over the years, and I hope that I can find some new friends. It's been so long since I left NY, I've forgotten what it is like to have a social life. My mother is retired in Fla. and she stays so busy that I can never find her at home. I envy her.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:45 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,142 times
I think it is harder to make social contacts when you aren't working and move to another area. Work and children often are common factors that pull people into friendships. I find that I have to work harder to meet people, but I live in the country with fewer neighbors. Our neighbors aren't retired and are friendly, but true "friendships" seem to be harder to build.

However, moving to a golf course community may actually make it easier to make social contacts as many of these types of communities have planned social activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement