U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 10:15 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,175,019 times

Advertisements

reading the when to take SS thread, got me thinking.
I know that if you are FRA and you want to let your benefits increase to age 70 but you do not file, then if you die before you file that your spouse if you have one, will get the increased benefit as a survivor benefit. But all those suspended benefits are gone.

I also know that if you file and suspend at FRA then at some point later you decide you need the cash, you can just have them unsuspend and send you a lump sum for all you would have been due since you suspended, but you would not then get extra credits, instead your ongoing payments would be for what you would have got at FRA.

HOWEVER, I have not been able to find out what happens if you Filed and suspended and say 3 years later before you state collecting, you die?
It would seem that your estate should be able to collect that suspended lump sum since you had filed for it.
Or as above the widow/er could choose the lump sum or the increased benefit, but I cannot find anywhere where it says what happens in this case.

Does anyone know for sure? or know where to find anything about that?

In any event I strongly urge those that are going to wait to still File and Suspend at FRA married or single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 10:35 AM

71,717 posts, read 71,829,507 times
your widows survivor benefits are based on the fact you suspended. The fact you filed and suspended with a spouse means she is getting your spousal benefit too.
That is a bonus for suspending right there. She gets the higher rate on survivor benefits too if you suspended. That is all anyone but you gets.

Only you could take a benefit reduction and a lower payment if you were alive.

It is no different than a pension where the pensioner has lots of options but the beneficiary has none.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:44 AM

So the best thing is if you think you are dying call the SS and unsuspend! LOL

Old 07-12-2014, 10:49 AM

thats the whole idea. it leaves you with the option that if expenses or health take a turn you have that ability.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:52 AM

Is it safe to assume that if you have called or written SS to unsuspend and send you the lump sum, but they have not done it yet and you die that THEN your estate would get the payment?

Old 07-12-2014, 10:54 AM

i would think if paperwork is in they have to honor your request.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:02 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,221,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
reading the when to take SS thread, got me thinking.
I know that if you are FRA and you want to let your benefits increase to age 70 but you do not file, then if you die before you file that your spouse if you have one, will get the increased benefit as a survivor benefit. But all those suspended benefits are gone.

I also know that if you file and suspend at FRA then at some point later you decide you need the cash, you can just have them unsuspend and send you a lump sum for all you would have been due since you suspended, but you would not then get extra credits, instead your ongoing payments would be for what you would have got at FRA.

HOWEVER, I have not been able to find out what happens if you Filed and suspended and say 3 years later before you state collecting, you die?
It would seem that your estate should be able to collect that suspended lump sum since you had filed for it.
Or as above the widow/er could choose the lump sum or the increased benefit, but I cannot find anywhere where it says what happens in this case.

Does anyone know for sure? or know where to find anything about that?

In any event I strongly urge those that are going to wait to still File and Suspend at FRA married or single.
b. Survivors - Do Not Reinstate

If a numberholder dies during a period of voluntary suspension and a survivor requests that benefits for months prior to death is reinstated and paid as an underpayment to the estate, do not reinstate benefits. There is no basis to change the numberholder's decision merely because an underpayment is created.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0202409130
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement