U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:30 PM

8,784 posts, read 7,704,486 times

Advertisements

Without question, my best days are ahead, no doubt, but I'm also a believer in the resurrection and eternal life in heaven with Jesus my Savior. If I was not a Christian, well, then my best days would be behind me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,355,708 times
No doubt, my best days are ahead of me. Retirement with no financial worries, no children to raise and educate, and the ability to do what I want when I want are all important to me. I never had that before, so at this time, I am at the "prime" of my life. If tomorrow brings devastating information, I have and have had a good life and still will consider the days ahead better than the days past. I am blessed just because I can read and understand what you are asking.
When the time comes that I am no longer on this earth, I know that those days too will be better than days past.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,323,560 times
My best days are still ahead.

I am done with caregiving and the 30plus year grind of work every day. I'll probably still work part time at some no brain job. I earned my freedom and plan to enjoy every minute of my emancipation. At last I can do what I want to do, at least part of the time. For the first time in my life I have so much freedom that it's almost dizzying. Even if I decide to do nothing, it was a choice I got to make.

It's quite a wonderful feeling.

And I am a boomer.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,217,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
My best days are still ahead.

I am done with caregiving and the 30plus year grind of work every day. I'll probably still work part time at some no brain job. I earned my freedom and plan to enjoy every minute of my emancipation. At last I can do what I want to do, at least part of the time. For the first time in my life I have so much freedom that it's almost dizzying. Even if I decide to do nothing, it was a choice I got to make.

It's quite a wonderful feeling.

And I am a boomer.
Ditto. But I would not say my best days are ahead of me. I just don't know; no one does.
For now, I will try to stay "in the moment" and enjoy my freedom. Who would have thought something as simple as reading a book in bed until I become sleepy would bring such contentment? Or eating what I want, when I want it. Or working at a part time gig because I like it... etc.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:00 AM

638 posts, read 1,411,476 times
'49 Boomer

The one best year of the past I'd love to relive would be when I was 25. Life was FULL.. of good music, dancing, passion, and great expectations. So many things to learn and do. I had my sheepskin certificate and great memories of dorm life, dating and the world was there waiting for me.. I thought. (Plus, I was so tiny and cute back then )

After marriage (with very high expectations of good things to come) it all kind of started going downhill; full of tragic events, taking care of a special needs child and the disappointment of not ever having all the proud moments "normal" families have, not ever having a daughter to dress and shop with. With a special needs child, you become an outsider to other families with normal children and never quite fit in. My husband threw himself into work and became a workaholic; (altho, he could have done a lot worse things than that, of course and I'm very grateful that's all it was.) So you adapt and go on, make the best of what you have.

Age 50 was another favorite year, once past the hell of peri-menopause and physical calamities, (of mid to late 40's). My ob/gyn prescribed HRT and zoloft and it was like I was a new person and life was just beginning again. I felt younger and more energetic than I'd felt in a long, long time. So early 50's were good years.

Since then the euphoria has leveled off, of course (had to eventually get off the meds), but at least it jump-started me and got me in the habit of thinking good things can happen late in life. As a result, I was able to handle my husband's calaminous near death and subsequent years of caretaking without totally falling apart.

So as long as I have good health, I've accepted "this is probably as good as it gets" and will take it day by day. And if something great were to come along, what a wonderful surprise it will be!

What was the question again??

Old 07-10-2012, 02:20 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,730 times
I don't think you can answer that question, because in your 60's, as I am, you don't know how much time you have. I'm certainly having a great deal of fun right now. And those days of fun are more poignant and appreciated because I don't know how many more there will be.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:56 PM

638 posts, read 1,411,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I don't think you can answer that question, because in your 60's, as I am, you don't know how much time you have. I'm certainly having a great deal of fun right now. And those days of fun are more poignant and appreciated because I don't know how many more there will be.
Hear, hear! Who knows how many days any of us have left, so we should savor every one. Since my husband has semi-recouperated, we have fun with such simple things as a trip to WallyWorld.. even if we do have to wait in line for a motor-chair as we did this afternoon; and even if we spend our child's inheritance on simple pleasures like a Ninja smoothie maker and cheap sunglasses; it was "fun". Looking back, I used to avoid and detest WalMart, looking for something easy in, easy out. Now it's a fun outing for us on a hot afternoon.

Life is short. Make the most of it.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:34 PM

300 posts, read 656,006 times
Default An Xer

I am an Gen Xer (mid 40s) and I feel like its all down hill from here. Especially since I am diabetic and have mild retinopathy (they say it doesnt have to progress. Yeah right). What is left but diapers, death and decrepitude (and maybe blindness). I have a great wife but I feel like my best days are long gone. I dont feel depressed but when I take a hard look at things, I really believe the best has happened already

Old 07-07-2015, 05:35 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,056,653 times
My best days are all around me. I've got great memories and great plans.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:16 AM

362 posts, read 334,361 times
I'll be 58 this year. Work doesn't define who I am, it pays the bills and allows saving for retirement. For me, as soon as I'm 62 the good stuff begins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement