U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:12 PM

190 posts, read 617,528 times

Advertisements

I was born towards the end of the boom so hopefully I am only half way through life. It has been good so far. I hope it will continue that way. I don't see either part of life as better, maybe just different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 06:43 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,995,880 times
Well your right went to a lot of great concerts the great rock and rollers of our times, raised in Los Angelus was a major part of the hippy stage and loved every minute of it wouldn't give it up for anything but the past is the past and I look forward to a great future

Old 12-20-2007, 06:12 PM

280 posts, read 970,738 times
Normie - not close to retirement yet, but just needed to tell you that was a beautiful post. (A very long answer to your question). I would love to hear the second half of the story. I'm waiting on the edge of my seat!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:17 PM

280 posts, read 970,738 times
Oh - I guess i might as well answer the question. I'm turning 40 in one month. I feel like the best moments are now. But I have been feeling like that since I turned 30. Since that age I got divorced, remarried, and finally had my first child not too long ago. And sort of retired from my corporate job two years ago. Yes, life gets better every single day.

I will never go back to full time, corporate work. But I want to do some kind of work outside the home because using my skills or 'gifts' provides me with a lot of satisfaction. I'm trained as an executive/life coach and I'm looking forward to building a part time practice which should bring me into "official" retirement - maybe 30 years from now, or maybe never.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,340,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Boomer. The best years of my life (so far) were between the ages of 18 and 21 and right now...so, kind of hard to say. In both of those two stages I was discovering things that were new to me.

I'm thinking new things were a part of the rest of my life but I didn't know/notice enough to appreciate them.
I would say mine were 23-30. I was in the military from 18 to 23.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,340,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Well your right went to a lot of great concerts the great rock and rollers of our times, raised in Los Angelus was a major part of the hippy stage and loved every minute of it wouldn't give it up for anything but the past is the past and I look forward to a great future
The good bands I saw are all history now. CCR, Three Dog Night, The Who, the Stones, Isley Brothers, Manfred Mann, Pink Floyed, Sly Stone- they are all over now. All we have now is stinking RAP!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:40 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,259,341 times
I was born in '62, and I also think the best days are behind me. Being in my 40's sucks, and I can imagine it only gets worse. Yuck!

Old 12-21-2007, 12:16 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,983,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
Born in 1937. I think the best days are behind.
How can you say that?

Something so wonderful might happen tomorrow that it becomes the best day in your life.

It probably won't though, but when you get our age, just taking another breath is better than not taking one.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:45 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,838,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novamom06 View Post
Normie - not close to retirement yet, but just needed to tell you that was a beautiful post. (A very long answer to your question). I would love to hear the second half of the story. I'm waiting on the edge of my seat!
Thanks, Novamom, what a sweet thing to say. I don't know quite what got into me when I started writing all that--there was a point I was trying to make but somehow it took me 20+ paragraphs to get to it!!!!

I don't think I'll write the rest of my life story--when I wrote that I got into a groove--but afterwards I realized I had waste a whole morning on it. And my life is so complicated, believe me it would fill volumes. And the funny thing about telling a life story is that you tell different details depending on the point you're trying to make. But thanks for the compliment, you made my day.

ps. Happy holidays everyone. I'm travelling for a few weeks, but I'll check in again in January.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:25 AM

55 posts, read 193,056 times
Wow, what great answers and thoughtful people. I love the range of responses, including Normie's wonderful saga (whew, what a ride!), and the simple but beautiful philosophy expressed by Ontheroad.

I promised i would mention the tale of how i answered the question - best days ahead or behind. The meeting was in NYC's Time Life Building in their very elegant big conference room. Lots of 30 somethings and a few boomers about my age (59). This baby boomer expert asked the question, what about you guys, how many people here think your best days are behind you? I rose my hand shyly - and I was the only person in the room of about 150 people who did so! The presenter was funny and said - "only 1 guy, but he is working it out with his therapist." Everyone laughed and I felt very odd - what's wrong with me.

Later i realized some of the things that have been said in this forum. Sure, physically i am beginning to go downhill. I almost broke 3 hours in a marathon 20 years ago - couldn't to that now, even without the achilles tendonitis I have. I am still in better shape than my 20 something children, but nothing like i used to be. Like many of you folks, i am in much better shape emotionally, people-wise, and leadership-wise, than at any other time of my life. i can deal with stress and conflict in a way that usually produces good results. I have developed the skills to lead several organizations that accomplish good things in a way i never could have, even 10 years ago. i've got more friends than ever before. Life is good.

Best of all what i have now is more time and freedom and resources to pick what i want to work on. That is a gift that very well should let me have my best days ahead of me. Now I see that happiness is all about attitude and looking forward - physical attributes are just one part of the equation. So i am glad the guy asked the question, and that I asked you folks. An excellent learning experience, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement