U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:23 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,981,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post

...It has no meanning at all.
A carousel has no meaning either.

You just go up and down and around in circles.

But that doesn't mean it's not a good ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 05:27 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,836,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
A carousel has no meaning either.

You just go up and down and around in circles.

But that doesn't mean it's not a good ride.
ROFL! That deserves a rep point!!

Old 12-29-2007, 05:50 PM

13,574 posts, read 21,729,972 times
I was born in 1941..Just celebrated 66 I am also just now experiencing the empty nest syndrom..I pretty much raised 5 of my nine grandchildren and finally their Mothers are able to leave them alone while they work since they are anywhere from 25 down to 14 yrs old..The 25 yr old is a quadraplegic that lived with me most of his life..His accident happened 6 years ago..Now it is just me and my h to take care of..We are 2 completely different people who really have nothing in common, due to the active life he lead, while I was a stay at home mom with 4 children and grandchildrenh arriving before all my children were raised..I did have my own business at home for 10 years while the children were growing up.. I am active, still do all the painting , housework and yard work...He goes to church on Sundays and plays computer poker the rest of the time, or goes to visit his various relatives for weeks at a time..I notice that I am tired now and I take more breaks then I used to My best days are definitely behind me, at least until I get used to not having a houseful of people to care for

Old 12-29-2007, 06:34 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,836,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Great post. Sorry to drift off topic for a moment--but could you tell me more about these museums? I love finding interesting museums, especially the ones you find in dinky towns!!!! Do you have any favorites?
ooops. Just saw the rule against going off topic. If you do see this, can you post yuor answer in a new thread? Thanks.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:38 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,849,660 times
Arrived 1946. Considering some of the things I've done in the past, in consideration of those around me, I hope my best days are ahead of me. For example, when people invite me somewhere they still say, "I'll bring you if you promise not to be yourself!".

Old 12-30-2007, 04:15 PM

857 posts, read 4,475,549 times
I'm curious... how many people who knew that the best days lay ahead of them decided to sell the house and move someplace brand new when they retired? And in doing so, how many found that it was easy enough to find new friends and new things to do in their new environment?
We are looking around for someplace to relocate to in the next couple of years, someplace in the Southeast, and I am curious how many of you have done this and found that your best days were indeed ahead.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:46 PM

30,693 posts, read 49,488,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I'm curious... how many people who knew that the best days lay ahead of them decided to sell the house and move someplace brand new when they retired? And in doing so, how many found that it was easy enough to find new friends and new things to do in their new environment?
We are looking around for someplace to relocate to in the next couple of years, someplace in the Southeast, and I am curious how many of you have done this and found that your best days were indeed ahead.
No problems here for us.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:51 PM

880 posts, read 2,586,910 times
Default Normie...new thread

Great idea...started a new thread titled "where are your favorite places to visit in retirement"..

MrsC.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:08 PM

4,235 posts, read 7,272,276 times
Born in 1946. Physically my best years are behind me but I sure do have some great stories to tell. Now if I could just
A: Remember them
B. Find someone who will listen to them.
C: Find someone who believes them.
GL2

Old 01-01-2008, 03:30 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,872,889 times
NorthMeetsSouth...in answer to your question, we moved to the Southeast, easily made new friends, are living a more relaxed lifestyle, living pretty simply, and are still active with our writing careers, and don't regret moving from our large metro area. Life is a smaller town suits us just fine.

Loved cities in my younger days but after a while they just seemed to be a hassle, noisy, crowded and not as much fun. Great for culture, though. But walking on the beach teaches me a lot, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement