U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:21 PM

5,174 posts, read 8,694,591 times

Advertisements

[quote=NorthmeetsSouth;2726796]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

Boy... I know how you feel. I moved to GA 14 years ago and I have been so busy working all the time that I never took the time to develop much of a social life. I hope that when my husband and I move someplace to retire we are able to (and remember how to) make some friends and have a fun social life. I like working, but sometimes I think there must be more to life.
We are going through that now. It seems we always had to look after someone financially - parents - in my case, rare - my dad just made a lot of bad financial decisions but otherwise, he was a sweetheart and we miss him -there are days I really miss him - our children are great (23, 18) and are getting there but we work a lot - I do think it keeps you going - we just need to work out more - 2 times a week is just not doing enough - our kids go 7 days a week and complain if they miss one day and how they feel it - we are thinking what you are thinking, though - we were in Buckhead in Nov 2007 - do you like it there?

My husband and I would love to have more fun! We both enjoy working but we are looking for that balance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,651,503 times
Yes, I was born after 1946 but before 1964.

Since I don't know what lies ahead, would have to say my best days are behind me. That would be the time I spent as a wife. My only regret is that I didn't say "yes" sooner. Perhaps then I could have lived in wedded bliss longer.

Still, the old adage rings true: it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:02 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,077,851 times
Born in 1947.
I feel I've been successful in meeting my obligations of raising our 6 kids, providing a decent home and family life, and trying to instill pride, a sense of responsibility, respect for others and all the other things you try to teach your kids so they will grow up to be decent human beings. So I feel the earlier years are good in that respect.
I retired from my 30 year job but still work part time. I'm into restoring old motorcycles and I have a 1949 Plymouth I drive around in good weather. Things I couldn't afford to do when the kids were growing up even though I worked every hour of overtime that was available to me.
The kids are all grown and doing well so I don't have to help them support themselves. Neither them nor I were blessed with being born into a family with money. We have all earned what we got.
I think that if my health stays fairly good the days ahead will be good ones. The wife and I can live more for us than having to live for the main purpose of raising kids. We can appreciate our kids accomplishments in their adult lives and watch our grandkids grow. I feel like we did the best we could with what we had and are very lucky to have raised 6 kids that are responsible, working adults that don't have any serious bad vices. I'm not saying they are perfect, but in todays world, I think they turned out pretty good.
I don't regret anything that I thought I may have missed out on during the past years, but now it's time to relax and enjoy the things that hard work and good family values have given us.
I look foward to the future and some more good days.
There is one thing I firmly believe. When you retire, you can't just sit in the recliner. You have to stay active and do things as long as health permits. I remember seeing my then 81 year old Dad up in the top of a big old maple tree pruning some limbs. He always found something to do to stay busy. If a persons idea of retirement is to just sit, then the best years are definitely behind them.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:55 PM

857 posts, read 4,473,090 times
[quote=Bette;2749853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post

we are thinking what you are thinking, though - we were in Buckhead in Nov 2007 - do you like it there?
I used to like this area and I thought I would want to stay here in retirement, but it has changed so much over the last decade. I look forward to finding an area that is much friendlier and much less violent than the Atlanta area, making some new friends our age, and learning how to do something other than work.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:06 PM

5,174 posts, read 8,694,591 times
Smile Best days...

We live in Florida so great weather, etc. We would keep our home in Boca Raton but want a 2nd home where we can meet more people our own age, etc. We are very active people, fun, love to go, go, go, we work a lot now but we missed a lot. We are looking at The Villages in central FL, Greenville, SC and Cary, NC.

We are 10-15 years away from fully retiring but planning. We could buy a home in one of the above and always rent it out, check out the area often and see if we like it and it likes us!!

We are very positive people, have had a lot of negative things happen in our lives but we keep truckin!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:13 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,430,042 times
I retired a few years ago, after working for over 30yrs ,we moved to another area of Australia but after 4 yrs decided it wasn't for us ...we hadn't made friends but i do think that was because of our attitude, we are not really geared up for retirement are we? after years of working always busy ...what do we do ? well anyway we moved again,now we live in a real community where i have made lot's of friends i joined things and thats the answer i do voluntary work wiht the local auxilliary,fund raising..also keep fitdoing water aerobics twice a week,have met some great poeple but it's up to you life can be great if you just get out there...the past was good but this can be better if you try.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:37 PM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,591 times
Well, it's 50/50 to me, I guess. I've been through the "angst" of the younger years, and I'm more settled now. I've had cancer, and some other health problems, which are over. I've been through several bad relationships, and think I might have a good one now. So, things are better. I have depression, but it's being treated, unlike in my younger years before all the new anti-depressants.

On the other hand, I'm tired, my body doesn't do what I want it to do, it's harder to keep weight off, and mostly, I miss my family who have died off. I miss my father, aunts and uncles, grandparents. We had a sort of extended family when I was growing up, and I miss them terribly. My mother is the only one left of the older generation, and she's 85. As I get older, I think a lot about the past, which I guess is typical.

So, half the time I'm grateful that I'm not young, and half the time, I am sad that I'm not young.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:48 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Not really. Once you hit 50, you are just waiting for the Lord to take you home. "life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone" John Cougar
I love that song! I feel the same way sometimes. That phrase hit me, too, when I first heard it.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:46 AM

324 posts, read 505,993 times
I'm 55. Growing older, I've been gradually losing the ability to enjoy life. There's no comparison to how much I enjoyed my life some 20, 30 or more years ago.
So, definitely, the best years are not ahead of me.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:13 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,973,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post

I'm 55. Growing older, I've been gradually losing the ability to enjoy life.
I'm 70. Hoping to grow older. I have lost the ability to do a lot of things I used to do, however enjoying life is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement