U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:33 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,226,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Boy... I know how you feel. I moved to GA 14 years ago and I have been so busy working all the time that I never took the time to develop much of a social life. I hope that when my husband and I move someplace to retire we are able to (and remember how to) make some friends and have a fun social life. I like working, but sometimes I think there must be more to life.
I agree so much. We relocated several times and found it easier just to immerse ourselves in our jobs and family. We tend to keep to ourselves rather than go through the efforts to make new friends and then have to move away. We are pretty much wave and "say hi" neighbors here, but that's about it.

I look forward to finally settling in one place and taking advantage of all it has to offer (meeting new people and seeing new places).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:00 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Physically behind me but meahtally at am at my best years because I am truely free and secure as I have ever been in retirement.i answer to me alone.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:26 AM

13 posts, read 20,661 times
Gunlovver2
Reminds me

!. When yer young you wonder what people think of you.
2. When yer a little older you dont care what people think of you.
3. When yer old you find out no one was thinking of you anyway.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 AM

12,686 posts, read 14,068,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somwhathip View Post
I was at a media conference about baby boomers in New York recently and they had a number of baby boomer experts presenting information (e.g.; did you know 1 out of 3 adults alive today are baby boomers?). Anyway, this guy asked a very provocative question - do you think your best days lie ahead of you, or have you already seen your best days.

I would really like to hear how other people would answer this question ( i promise to give my answer, but later). Please qualify by saying if you are a boomer or not (born 1946 -1964)
No, I am not a baby boomer. I was born in 1938, the year Hitler invaded Poland.

I had periods in my life when I felt I was losing something like "the best days of my life." And each time I was wrong, there was always something else that came along somewhere, sometime that took hold of me and made it feel like I had just found the best time.

At sixty-two I got rid of my apartment and furniture and most of my clothes, and with what I thought was enough money to buy an inexpensive apartment and a very small income I bought a one-way ticket to Europe and took off by myself. It's been the best time of my life, and after a 30-day return trip to the U.S. for the first time in a decade....I couldn't wait to get back to "the best days of my life."

Time only moves in one direction, and everything changes, don't make too much of an emotional investment in what currently seems like "the best."

Old 08-18-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Physically behind me but meahtally at am at my best years because I am truely free and secure as I have ever been in retirement.i answer to me alone.
Yes! yes! Amen.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 AM

874 posts, read 2,489,952 times
I am not a baby boomer either. I am retired on disability from the NYPD after doing 15 years. I had a heart attack at the age of 34 and had a stent put in that holds open two collapsed arteries. Knowing that the survival rate of people that have heart attacks at the age I did are low I take many less things for granted now and try to be the best person and father I can and enjoy life with my family as much as possible. I believe my best years are ahead of me since my outlook on living is much better than it used to be. I keep myself busy by working on old cars (currently am restoring a 1968 Chrysler Newport 2 door hardtop), doing projects around the house, doing things with my children (5,7 and 9), helping neighbors with projects and car repairs, etc.

I believe that sitting around the house doing nothing is definitely not the way to go since I believe it is actually not good for your physical or mental health. The way I see it, dealing with any problems that come up are better than dealing with the day I was laying in my living room with my arm numb, feeling like I was going to throw up, sweating profusely, finding it hard to breathe and feeling like there was a Mack truck parked on my chest.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:35 AM

Egobop, I feel exactly the same way...for much the same reason, though I am considerably older. In January I had six weeks of that agony, and then three stents. I already thought I was having the best days of my life, but since then I know that I am having them now.

Good luck, and enjoy! enjoy!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:46 AM

874 posts, read 2,489,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Egobop, I feel exactly the same way...for much the same reason, though I am considerably older. In January I had six weeks of that agony, and then three stents. I already thought I was having the best days of my life, but since then I know that I am having them now.

Good luck, and enjoy! enjoy!
Thank you and good luck to you as well.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:21 AM

11,083 posts, read 12,464,975 times
I think both. Retiring last July with 34 years as a law enforcement officer has given me some great (and not so great) times. I can look back at some of the goofier things people have done and laugh. I'm also looking forward to the future, a move to a smaller town in another state, a new adventure. The best times were behind me, the best times are ahead of me, the best times are now.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:45 PM

13,315 posts, read 25,550,246 times
To the poster born in 1938- Hitler invaded Poland in 1939, Sept. 1 being the official start of WWII.
To answer the question, in many ways I feel my best days are behind me.Physically, of course. I must admit that I had great difficulty with depression until about age 30, which blighted my earlier life, but I don't see that as related to best days or not- just an illness that I learned to live with (and fix where I can).
But at a younger age, there were far more possibilities ahead. Hypothetical, true, but more possible. I'm not sure how I would have chosen had I not been so compromised with depression, or how those choices would have worked out. But there was far more of a sense of possibility than now- partly because of time passing, and partly because I know myself better and did do many of those possibilities, know what they are and what they aren't.
I do look forward to a time without working, or not working fulltime. That could feel like best days ahead- I don't know what life is like without the ball and chain of making a living, and the physical difficulties of third shift.
Having done so many of the things that people hope to do "later"- travel, go back to school, relocated, take different jobs/careers, Peace Corps, etc. etc., I thinking I view retirement somewhat differently than someone who is waiting to do a lot of things, having spent a lot of years being responsible- job, marriage, or especially raising children. Those things take up the bulk of many people's adult lives, and I can see why they might see retirement as a freedom to try everything else.
As Bob Seger sang, "What to leave in, and what to leave out." It's a lot easier to parse as you get older and presumably wiser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement