Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:13 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
TurborgP,
I am a realistically optimistic person. To me, life is long journey. I prepare for the next leg of the journey everyday. When things are good, I enjoy the easy downhill stroll, stop to 'smell the flower, sip the coffee, enjoy the scenery'. When things are bad, I focus on climbing the hill, one step at the time, encouraged by the thinking that once I get on top of the hill, it will be again an easy downhill.

I am very blessed that I have enjoyed most of the days of my life. I am very well prepared for the future in all aspects (financially, physically and emotionally). I know that I will enjoy my retirement as much as my current state of contentment. I know that there may be challenges ahead (likely some health issues) but as long as we remain healthy, we will continue to do the things that we have been doing (flying, rowing, travelling, scuba diving, hiking, photography, volunteering etc). If health issues develop, we will just find new, less active, more suitable activities, When I retire, I will miss the intellectual challenges of work. I will just replace them with learning and doing new things.

I don't have a crystal ball to see the future but very confident that my future will not be much different from my present life in terms of enjoyment, satisfaction and happiness. So my best days are neither behind or ahead. I will just continue to try making each day either a great day or at least a good day.
That's what I thought from your previous posts. Our future days for each us are expected to be as good and barring the currently unforeseen not behind us. My response is in the context of having posted early in this thread back in 2007. I saw it as a update of sorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 12:22 PM

197 posts, read 208,767 times
"These are the good old days." —. "Anticipation" by Carly Simon

BUT . . . I'm a lifetime runner and all my PR runs are waaay in the rear view mirror!

(1950)

Old 07-07-2015, 12:28 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Someone bumped an old post? But it's a good topic.

I was born in 1948.
My best days are definetly not behind me, my health and physical condition are excellent and I'm happier and more content than I've ever been in my life. I have the time and the means to exercise, eat well, travel, or to just kick back and cook a pot of soup, do genealogy research, or enjoy a good book or movie.
Life is good.

It's hard though to say my best days are ahead of me - not just because at some point my health will likely deteriorate but also it's hard to imagine being more content and fulfilled than I am now.

So I guess my best days are right now. Today, in fact, is as good as they come.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:38 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Someone bumped an old post? But it's a good topic.

I was born in 1948.
My best days are definetly not behind me, my health and physical condition are excellent and I'm happier and more content than I've ever been in my life. I have the time and the means to exercise, eat well, travel, or to just kick back and cook a pot of soup, do genealogy research, or enjoy a good book or movie.
Life is good.

It's hard though to say my best days are ahead of me - not just because at some point my health will likely deteriorate but also it's hard to imagine being more content and fulfilled than I am now.

So I guess my best days are right now. Today, in fact, is as good as they come.

Me too! And I always say that since I don't know how many days I have left I'm going to make every day as good as I can.

I have the time to do all the things you do as well, even though I'm not retired. I just can't do them when *I* want to! I don't like following some else's schedule for ME but since I have no options I just accept and go with it. I still manage to do what I want and that's good too. I'm itching for a road trip though and been trying to figure out how to do that soon!

I am thankful for my own excellent health and physical condition as well. I'm happy and content but I have been for a long time now. As long as I'm left to my own devices and live my own life without someone else's drama and angst. I was thinking that even though my life has been good for a long time I somehow feel like I have "arrived". Better late than never I always say.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Well since I am 68 and unlikely to live 68 more the answer is obvious to a point. But then the free hours means I have more time to live as I like. Just see it as another phase in my life; really.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:02 AM

508 posts, read 663,036 times
Yup, my best days are behind me. Health is shot and my mental status isn't exactly topnotch either, LOL!

But so what? There are still plenty of good days to come.

I'm a realist. Things are as they are, and failing a miracle cure brought to Earth by aliens, I'm not going to get better or be young again (and I'd take 40, LOL!). But there are still sunsets, rainbows, hummingbirds, and sunny days. Things to plant in the garden and watch them grow. Good enough.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:50 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,285,179 times
Better off than me, Sojj. I so wish I could bend again to plant flowers, but I can no longer do that, (back fusion, L 3&4). But I have the rest. Sunsets, etc. I am learning how to do things differently but can't suppress the envy I feel when I see my neighbors, who are 84 & 90, garden & have beautiful flowers. I am not quite 62, but my problem was a car accident.
I live in a senior building & have wonderful neighbors. I used to have a house & had 3 flower gardens & a vegetable garden. It was small but what do you need for 1 person?
My goal is to figure out how to garden next year. I'm not ready this year. But I did see a raised garden in a catalog & a seat with wheels that might work. These are things I have to investigate to achieve my goal.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:01 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,251,965 times
I'll be 78 next week. I'm not going to buy any more green bananas from now on.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:49 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
I just finished reading normie's story (#13) from 2007 and have to say that is the most uplifiting report I have ever read in this forum. Thank you (normie) so much for sharing this--you are a gifted writer as well! Hope normie is still posting/participating somewhere.

Last edited by luv4horses; 07-10-2015 at 07:14 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 07:18 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I just finished reading normie's story (#13) from 2007 and have to say that is the most uplifiting report I have ever read in this forum. Thank you (normie) so much for sharing this--you are a gifted writer as well!
Normie and I were City-Data friends and had a rich posting history together. Private Messages and sometimes similar and other times differing opinions. Her post #13 influenced my post#14 considerably and I might not have been as up tempo at the time without Normie's post. Normie had a lot of challenges and still managed to smell the roses and find each day to be a positive one. How could I not be as positive with so many more advantages? Over the next few years we became fairly good CD comrades. Especially in the political arena. Often a lot of disagreement and many times agreement. Always up tempo and positive Normie was voice of reason for many. Unfortunately a few years ago many of us began to worry the worse or accept the worse, that health problems had eliminated posting or perhaps even worse. There is a reality for all of us and on here we often lose people and never are sure we lost them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement