U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:23 AM

19,881 posts, read 18,894,234 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is a stereotype but so many of us mention that we do not like to be wasteful.

Compare that to the younger generation with the ostentatious huge houses and the amount of furniture it must take to fill them. A lot of us (older boomers anyway) lived our lives frugally. We had a practical car, a normal sized house, bought things that would last, and if we couldn't afford it, we did without.

Just a little observation.

(There are some wasteful people in our generation and there are some who use money wisely in the younger generation. I'm generalizing.)

Old 07-15-2014, 09:31 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,510,101 times
We bought our home five years ago and are just now having the inside painted to our satisfaction. Once finished, that will be it whether we live long enough to see it become "outdated" or not. As for furnishings and appointments, we have timeless art and artifacts from several countries. Those stay. The same with our furniture. Some pieces are antiques and the rest are good goods that will outlast us, especially the handmade Amish pieces.

We have replaced the dishwasher, stove, hot water heater, soft water system and washer and dryer. All that's left is the refrigerator but it will stay until it breaks.

What's trendy doesn't matter to us. Comfort and our own enjoyment do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 09:32 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,583,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingstrong View Post
Went to an estate sale last weekend. The widow of a prominent doctor who predeceased her by 18 years. A beautiful 5-6000 square foot home on 18 acres. The interior of the home looked like it had not been updated since the 70's. Very dated wallpaper, carpet, heavy dark wood paneling in the office, olive green oven with matching drop in stove, bathrooms that need to be gutted and updated. I expect that family members removed any furnishings they wanted to keep prior to the estate sale, but what remained at the sale, and there was a massive amount, was just as worn and dated as the house itself. It was just so sad to see that beautiful home with so much potential in such a state. My 75-year-old mother went with me to the sale and was shocked to see how "the wealthy" lived. Her own house is completely redone in various shades of pastel at least every 5 years. Like her, I like to refresh my house (not complete renovation but paint, new couch, curtains, etc., on a regular basis. It got me to wondering if we are just foolish with our money or are we the norm. How often do you do mini renovations or updating of you home and furnishings?
We completely redid our house 23 years ago with quality cabinets, etc.
I get a kick out of giving a tour. Then asking the person how old they
Think the renovation is.
The guess is never over 5 years old.
We were forward thinking.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 AM

3,044 posts, read 4,020,756 times
Years ago I was in the furniture game and those with money/style updated about every seven years.
We'd see them like a clock every seven years.

On the other hand, my parents, who certainly could afford it, haven't updated in fifty years.
I downsized ten years ago and don't even want furniture any more.
Less is more.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:46 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
It is an ongoing process - updating, to keep things fresh.

Furniture? Not so much. Upholstery, every 7 or so years (chairs - reupholster) . . . casegoods, never. I have all 18th C style furniture and started acquiring it in my 20s. So what I own is exactly what I want, it's timeless, never goes out of style (unless you don't like Williamsburg stuff, lol) and it is a collection I have acquired quite deliberately over a lifetime.

I would just like to mention . . . having worked in the antiques business at several times in my life, I learned that often, with estate sales, the family will come in and get "the good stuff" and then bring their OWN leftover or stored furniture into the house, hoping to get some pennies on the dollar out of it.

So don't be so certain that the items you see in any given estate sale are EXCLUSIVELY the homeowner's pieces. I have seen all sorts of crappy stuff being thrown into estate sales - from kids and grandkids, even.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:39 AM

23,634 posts, read 17,606,575 times
Throwing everything out every few years does seem wasteful.

When one of my grandparents' neighbors passed several years back, the kids sold/gave away most of the stuff. We picked up a couch from the 70s with an ugly floral pattern, but I've put a tan cover over it. It's still extremely comfortable, but just butt ugly.

If cats are tearing up your furniture, that's another thing.

Painting is cheap and relatively quick to do.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:52 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,751,034 times
Is this a retirement question...just wondering.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 AM

9,255 posts, read 8,323,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingstrong View Post
Went to an estate sale last weekend. The widow of a prominent doctor who predeceased her by 18 years. A beautiful 5-6000 square foot home on 18 acres. The interior of the home looked like it had not been updated since the 70's. Very dated wallpaper, carpet, heavy dark wood paneling in the office, olive green oven with matching drop in stove, bathrooms that need to be gutted and updated. I expect that family members removed any furnishings they wanted to keep prior to the estate sale, but what remained at the sale, and there was a massive amount, was just as worn and dated as the house itself. It was just so sad to see that beautiful home with so much potential in such a state. My 75-year-old mother went with me to the sale and was shocked to see how "the wealthy" lived. Her own house is completely redone in various shades of pastel at least every 5 years. Like her, I like to refresh my house (not complete renovation but paint, new couch, curtains, etc., on a regular basis. It got me to wondering if we are just foolish with our money or are we the norm. How often do you do mini renovations or updating of you home and furnishings?
You'd hate my house.

My mom spent an insane amount of money in the 1960s for a Henredon sectional sofa that she had recovered twice, then gave to me and I had it recovered.

There is nothing in the world as comfortable as that down upholstery.

Quality lasts forever. It only needs a little mascara and lipstick.

The wallpaper in my family room is Martinique from the 1940s. I love that wallpaper so much I've used it in all of my homes through the years.

Many old family pieces that are not antiques, some mid century modern, round out my home.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:53 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You'd hate my house.

My mom spent an insane amount of money in the 1960s for a Henredon sectional sofa that she had recovered twice, then gave to me and I had it recovered.

There is nothing in the world as comfortable as that down upholstery.

Quality lasts forever. It only needs a little mascara and lipstick.

The wallpaper in my family room is Martinique from the 1940s. I love that wallpaper so much I've used it in all of my homes through the years.

Many old family pieces that are not antiques, some mid century modern, round out my home.
You are very smart to have held onto that Henredon sectional!!!! Quality that can no longer be purchased!!!

My son is always on the look out for authentic mid century modern. Seems Millenials are intrigued by that style/look. His dream is to find an Eames chair.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:39 PM

1,662 posts, read 1,529,045 times
The last thing I want to do is to have to completely refresh my home decor every five years. It is too expensive and too time consuming. Like many of the other responders, I have furnished my home with a mix of antiques (early 1800s) and quality casegoods. I carefully chose the non-antique furniture to compliment the antiques and paid more than the norm so I would not have to buy new furniture every x years. No oak! Decorative items are generally original art, good prints, and antique clocks, china, gameboards, and lamps. My 1960 home has mostly hardwood floors and plaster walls. The kitchen and one bathroom have the original tile, plumbing fixtures, bathtub, kitchen sink, and stove which I like.

I get the walls painted about every ten years and only replace upholstered items when very worn. The 20 year old brown leather sofa in the den, which I understand is considered to be very outdated as is brown, is near end of life but then I plan to downsize soon and don't want two living areas. Also the leather is comfortable and easy to clean and there are no other colors of leather that I like. The living room furniture is newer and the sofa was probably a mistake but I'll keep it anyway - still love the two upholstered chairs though. Another mistake may be the guest bedroom furniture. I stopped having business trips back east and was having a hard time finding antique furniture locally so broke down and bought a matching bedroom set from Thomasville. I like it but it is a little too "matchy matchy" and wish I had held out for antiques. A young couple just bought the house next door and are going to give me the old drapes in their den which I love. These belonged to the previous owner, now deceased, and I find the colors in the floral pattern to be very rich and beautiful as compared to newer drapes.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 07-15-2014 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement