Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 12:45 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times

Advertisements

If I like the stuff and my stuff is comfortable and all my stuff works ..

Why listen to the advertisers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 12:55 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Years ago I was in the furniture game and those with money/style updated about every seven years.
We'd see them like a clock every seven years.

On the other hand, my parents, who certainly could afford it, haven't updated in fifty years.
I downsized ten years ago and don't even want furniture any more.
Less is more.
My parents were the same way. When they died roughly 25 years ago hey still had the bedroom and dining room sets they purchased when they were married 45 years before. They had tables, a desk and other pieces they'd purchased while we were living in China in the late 40s and Japan in the mid-50s. Like us, they had the attitude that if it ain't broke, don't fix it or, when it came to furnishings, if it's broke and you can't fix it, it might be time to replace it but not before. Their home was comfortable, they liked it and that's all that mattered. Sadly, my very much younger brother, whom I don't claim, emptied their house and sold everything when my father died a year after my mother.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:11 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
Most homes need to have some updating but I don't think casegoods need to be replaced very often unless you have something that screams out of date.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Most homes need to have some updating but I don't think casegoods need to be replaced very often unless you have something that screams out of date.
So much for restoration of Victorian and Craftsman homes.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:03 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
If you have it long enough, it comes back into date

Old 07-15-2014, 02:47 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
We live in a big old Victorian money pit and I love her. Over the years we've redone the woodwork, replaced the windows and done as much of the restoration as we've been willing to do.

She's freshly painted and shingled and I suppose we'll keep up with the maintenance. My flower beds have been, for the large part, converted to perennials over the years. I'll fill them in as needed.

Over the years we've managed to accumulate some good pieces and it's all things we're happy with. So, like a favorite pair of slippers, unless something breaks we'll probably keep what we have.

To me a home is supposed to be comfortable for us and, only secondary to that, acceptable to others. All four of us have that value. I've never had a desire to live in a home that I can't have animals in or track garden dirt through. (I draw the line at storing the Harleys indoors. Heh.)

When the kids were nine and twelve we voted: landscape and sod the lawn or go to Disneyworld? It was unanimous in favor of traveling and the kids spent the next summer digging out the dandelions one by one for a penny apiece.

Just writing this makes me realize how much attachment I have to this home we've lived in since 1978.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:01 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingstrong View Post
How often do you do mini renovations or updating of you home and furnishings?
When something breaks or is damaged. I rent in a modern suburban apartment complex so I can only speak to the inside items. A home to me means comfort. My TV, for example, is from 1995. I've got nothing against flat screens and I can easily afford to replace the old one but the one I have works fine. However, this past weekend I broke one of my lamps so I'll be buying new ones.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:06 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are very smart to have held onto that Henredon sectional!!!! Quality that can no longer be purchased!!!
My sister and I fought like cats and dogs over that sofa until my mother threatened to sell it if we couldn't come to terms. I ended up guilting my sister into letting me have it.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:49 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
We completely redid our house 23 years ago with quality cabinets, etc.
I get a kick out of giving a tour. Then asking the person how old they
Think the renovation is.
The guess is never over 5 years old.
We were forward thinking.
You must have been the first ones to jump on granite countertops and stainless steel appliances.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:49 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Our home is comfortable, the furniture is contemporary and I think will last.

I'd like to re-do our kitchen cabinets and floor, but having lived through serveral kitchen re-vamps, I'm just too adverse to the mess and confusion again..so I tell myself I'm fine with it as is. I've made some great meals in thi kitchen, so it works fine.

We've painted the entire interior, replaced major appliances as needed, and refreshed some asscessories and added in local art. It's cute.

Other than someday updating pasts of our kitchen, I'm very content with our cozy and comfortable home. My real challenge is too many books!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement