U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:02 PM

9,137 posts, read 8,281,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
You must have been the first ones to jump on granite countertops and stainless steel appliances.
I redid a home in 1991 and used granite and stainless and I remember the contractor telling us it was very popular. I had to use sub zero and Viking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 05:14 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,577,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
You must have been the first ones to jump on granite countertops and stainless steel appliances.
Yes to granite, but the fridge is Subzero built in to look like the custom cabinets.
Some people can't find it .

Old 07-15-2014, 05:27 PM

17,005 posts, read 17,327,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I have updated nothing except my kitchen in the 37 years I've lived in this house. There is a certain style I love (late Victorian, Edwardian) and I've spent my entire life searching for, buying antiques or antique reproductions from that era. To each their own but I can't imagine "updating" my home every 5 years. Seems unsettled and wasteful to me.
I'm embarrassed to say how long it has been since I updated my home but I agree with LDG, I can't image anyone "updating" every five years. Most of my friends and relatives do a major update every ten to fifteen years but I don't think that I know anyone who does it more often than that. Perhaps, people with a lot more expendable income may be able to do it but no one that I know can afford it.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 PM

11,262 posts, read 8,417,691 times
That's a great question! I've downsized to 2 suitcases twice in 2 years. When we went to Hawaii I was determined not to accumulate anything I'd fall in love with so... I succeeded except for one platter. Which I gave to a friend.

Now, in GA, I'm picking up stuff that I do love but it fits in certain spots of this rental we're in. When we get to our forever home it has to fit or it goes. I still can't spend much on furnishings. There's to much available out there that's awesome and cheap.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:15 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,623,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I redid a home in 1991 and used granite and stainless and I remember the contractor telling us it was very popular. I had to use sub zero and Viking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Yes to granite, but the fridge is Subzero built in to look like the custom cabinets.
Some people can't find it .
I was joking, but I see from your replies that granite really was a popular contender over 20 years ago. I had no idea.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:28 PM

2,042 posts, read 3,626,610 times
I update as NEEDED~ have all flat screen TV's. But I cry when I watch people on HGTV rip out beautiful kitchens and replace them with ugly granite and stainless steel. They rip out flourescents that actually light up the kitchen and put in the ugliest lighting I've ever seen that leave the area dark, rip out tile backsplashes and replace with ugly glass. And listened to one HGTV program the other night that said granite was becoming passť to be replaced with manmade surfaces. It's only a matter of time when warm wood surfaces will return to the top. I did however replace all my windows and put in wood flooring except in kitchen which has tile so water doesn't affect it. Most of furnishings are antique oriental.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:52 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times
It's an ongoing process. We lean toward classic, transitional furniture pieces that we replace only when worn. I change out accessories to keep things fresh. The kitchen's never been a problem for us, ours has a good layout, great cabinets, and stainless appliances that still perform well and look fine 15+ years in. I indulge a hankering for a new sink and faucet every now and then, but that's a minor change. Our dream is to find a 1940s sideboard sink. If we do, we'll be happy forever, it goes well with just about any decor.

Wall color is always an issue. I like colors to flow from one room to another so we can't just do one room, have to do the whole house. Combined with our odd-duck floor plan, it's a major pain to re-do. I try to select a fresh, current hue and then tone it neutral enough so it'll be good for 10-12 years.

edit to add: We treat light and hardware fixtures as 'accessories', something to be updated regularly. DH doesn't mind changing them out and they're easy to find on sale. We change out our kitchen and bath cabinet hardware and light fixtures as frequently as every 7-8 years. Costs about $150 a room and makes a big difference.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 07-15-2014 at 11:03 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 06:52 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are very smart to have held onto that Henredon sectional!!!! Quality that can no longer be purchased!!!

My son is always on the look out for authentic mid century modern. Seems Millenials are intrigued by that style/look. His dream is to find an Eames chair.
Your son would like our house . We started buying high end "mid-century" furniture (new) in the 70's. Continued through the 80's. Our kitchens have always been black and white. It's pretty much a timeless look (although it goes through cycles in terms of being "in fashion").

When we moved into this house in the 90's (and in the early 2000's) - we had some pieces reupholstered. Also bought some new pieces (like a wall unit for the then new flat screen TVs).

Over the years - when certain pieces die (like Saarinen tulip chairs - they start to craze/crack after 15-20 years) - we replace them with the same thing (they're still in production).

Our house was a little over 15 years old last year. So we started on a 2 year "refreshing" process. Painted. Gave everything a really good cleaning. Put in new floor coverings. Reupholstered some chairs. Sold a couple of others that I was sick of that needed a super expensive reupholstery job. Got new drapes in the MBR (only room with drapes). Put in some new lighting fixtures. Installed LED bulbs in most existing built-in lighting. Rearranged/reframed some art/photos (some went into the closet - some came out of the closet). We're down to the end of the job now - a new floor in the kitchen.

The only thing that is really out of date in our house is the vertical blinds. But I've never found anything better for windows in the Florida sun in terms of lasting and controlling light. Window fabric gets eaten alive here - fast (our MBR drapes last because those windows also have vertical blinds). And the vertical blinds (unlike horizontal blinds or similar) are a breeze to maintain. We just take them down every 5 years or so - hose them down in the driveway - and they look good as new.

FWIW - we did have an Eames chair. Didn't buy it - my parents gave it to us (they bought it about 1960 or so). It is a supremely uncomfortable chair IMO (I like comfortable chairs). And - at age 40 - the leather was in pretty awful shape. So we sold it on Ebay. Even in its wretched condition - we got a pretty penny for it. We replaced it with this chair (more comfortable - and I like the way it looks more than I liked the Eames chair):

Womb Chair and Ottoman - Design Within Reach

Robyn

P.S. We also replace appliances when they die. We've replaced our washing machine - wall ovens and dishwasher in the last few years.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:52 AM

491 posts, read 597,865 times
I usually replace as needed but, 18 months ago I moved into a smaller place. So I sold a good portion of my old furniture and bought stuff that worked here. I went for things I could move myself-so 4 chairs and not a sofa in the living room. I sold my round heavy table and got a used smaller table that can extend to seat 12, or the way I usually use it would seat 2, maybe three in a pinch. I sold a bedroom set and just got a bed. I now have a walk in closet and baskets on a shelf to hold things that were in the dressers before. Now it is back to when it wears out I will replace it.

One thing I will do here at some point in the next few years is replace the countertop in the kitchen with something lighter. The kitchen it kinda dark and the countertop is dark. I have been know to not be able to find my readers without turning on the light. The older I get the harder I think that will be.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:02 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
LOL I refresh a little each time I hit a garage sale; but we're moving, so now we ARE the garage sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement