U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:03 PM

22 posts, read 15,514 times

Advertisements

Went to an estate sale last weekend. The widow of a prominent doctor who predeceased her by 18 years. A beautiful 5-6000 square foot home on 18 acres. The interior of the home looked like it had not been updated since the 70's. Very dated wallpaper, carpet, heavy dark wood paneling in the office, olive green oven with matching drop in stove, bathrooms that need to be gutted and updated. I expect that family members removed any furnishings they wanted to keep prior to the estate sale, but what remained at the sale, and there was a massive amount, was just as worn and dated as the house itself. It was just so sad to see that beautiful home with so much potential in such a state. My 75-year-old mother went with me to the sale and was shocked to see how "the wealthy" lived. Her own house is completely redone in various shades of pastel at least every 5 years. Like her, I like to refresh my house (not complete renovation but paint, new couch, curtains, etc., on a regular basis. It got me to wondering if we are just foolish with our money or are we the norm. How often do you do mini renovations or updating of you home and furnishings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:48 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,888,017 times
I replace major appliances when they break. Most last about a dozen years. I would feel wasteful replacing one that still worked. I'd rather have money than a house worthy of HGTV. As long as my home is tidy and comfortable, whom am I trying to impress?

Old 07-14-2014, 09:23 PM

19,848 posts, read 18,874,270 times
I like my home to be comfortable and interesting. I replace furniture when it is worn out but most of it is antique or handed down so it doesn't really go out of style. Having downsized, I don't have that much left anyway!

No, I would never have an avocado green stove. I would never have junk left over from the 70s. That would be depressing. I don't need to be reminded of those days, LOL. But I don't have to get the latest and greatest up to date item either. I have a leather couch that's sort of modern but I also have a Boston rocker that is a classic. I have a swivel rocker that fits just right in the room and is comfy.

I know what the OP means because an old friend contacted me and he emailed me a photo of his family in his kitchen. Everything was 1975 but the picture was taken in 2014. It sort of creeped me out. The flocked wall paper, the green fridge. It just doesn't fit unless you are into that era and are purposely trying to make your house a mini museum. This looked like he was just clueless.

People might laugh at my kitchenware but I love vintage kitchen stuff--old cast iron frying pans, interesting dishes, old mixing bowls. But I do that on purpose, it is my mini museum and it's interesting to me.

I don't try to impress anyone. I enjoy things that mean something to me but if there are too many depressing and out of date things around I get rid of them. Mostly I like to rearrange and if I'm not moving furniture around I'll be switching curtains. I have boxes of nice curtains and like to switch to change the mood or season. It's just for the fun of it.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:24 PM

21,541 posts, read 44,039,638 times
If there is excess, I'll spend here and there to freshen up. But, will not erode capital to do it.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,671,079 times
We do our own painting and wall papering when we had it. By the time we finished with the last room, it was time to do the first room. We have old wood paned windows and radiators that need painted in each room, so it wasn't just painting walls. So probably every 10 years. Furniture and appliances replaced as needed. Or when company is coming. There's nothing more motivating when you look at your house through the eyes of your coming guests to realize things need freshened up.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,344,497 times
I live in a 120 year old Victorian house.

The furniture I have been buying over the years, if not literally "Victorian," are traditional. The only "updating" I've been doing is replacing an appliance when it breaks down, or acquiring a piece of furniture that blends in with late-19th Century ambiance I am trying to create.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 PM

21,896 posts, read 14,390,517 times
I own the furniture I need. Sometimes I wish for change, but honestly I don't need another piece. Much of what I own has been purchased in the last decade, when we got rid of some really worn out stuff. I don't plan on replacing very much of what I now own, ever.

Repainting and rearranging are different. But I don't do this all that often either. However, I would never live in a house with furniture and furnishings that dated back to the 1970s!

Our major purchase when we made our last move was furniture for our bedroom which replaced furniture we had bought in 1970. So, I guess I kept that furniture a long, long time. I was glad to be rid of it finally.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:10 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,195,305 times
Default How often do you update furnishings?

Every divorce!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:54 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,220,203 times
If I had the opportunity to redo my past mistakes, I would have salvaged the old kitchen rather than rip it all out and start over. My current home was built in 1925.

My former home, built in the seventies, had the coppertone ? colored stove. It wasn't replaced until it "broke", sometime in the early 2000's.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,444,536 times
I have updated nothing except my kitchen in the 37 years I've lived in this house. There is a certain style I love (late Victorian, Edwardian) and I've spent my entire life searching for, buying antiques or antique reproductions from that era. To each their own but I can't imagine "updating" my home every 5 years. Seems unsettled and wasteful to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement