U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 07:54 AM

957 posts, read 1,300,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The deception arises in the process into which the pursuit of a job has devolved, and agreed -- I'm not the one engaged in deceit. The corporate manipulations spring mostly from political necessity; Need we say more?
Yes. That is a very cryptic comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 07:09 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,517,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The deception arises in the process into which the pursuit of a job has devolved, and agreed -- I'm not the one engaged in deceit. The corporate manipulations spring mostly from political necessity; Need we say more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Yes. That is a very cryptic comment.
I guess the best way to express this is to admit that, while I don't have a particularly harsh, abrasive or uncaring personality, neither am I a "people person" in the manner encouraged by the over-sensitized environment in which an increasingly service-oriented economy is expected to function.

I recently considered pursuing a seasonal opportunity as an income tax preparer; I did some of it for friends and co-workers for a number of years, and have kept abreast of changes in the laws by occasionally assisting the friends to whom I turned the business over. Fortunately for many, but not for some, the rise of self-service software has "skimmed off" the most challenging and interesting portions of the clientele. What's left is either elderly and time-consuming, or not-well-educated casualties of the breakdown of responsible, traditional family structure -- often taking advantage of special credits, etc. I was expected not to analyze and re-check data, but to sell various "features" of dubious reliability as a form of insurance -- which would be unnecessary if the customer was honest, and useless if (s)he was not.

Another case in point: About five years ago, I worked in a call-center serving heating and air-conditioning (HVAC) businesses -- buying them up as components of a national chain. But instead of monitoring and dispatching crews, I was expected to engage in glorified "hand-holding" -- never letting on that customers with service contracts got far faster and better service than those who had major problems with older systems; they got service only after an appointment with a salesman was also scheduled.

These are two of many possible examples of our shallow, sales- and revenue-driven "consumerist" circus. As a person who spent some of his formative years at a "trouble desk" in a less-visible. more cost-conscious industry (motor freight) I have been well-schooled in getting the job done (or at least avoiding the most predatory tactics) for less -- and it's hard to reconcile my sense of ethics with what I often see going on "out there". Neither Mr. Trump, not Mr. Sanders, nor Ms. Clinton seem interested in this circus, in no small part because they are all eager participants.

Our media- and Madison Avenue-driven system is likely overbuilt, and it might prove increasingly vulnerable as the rest of the world continues to develop while the advanced economies are hindered by too much regulation and too much politics. If that comes to pass, fewer and fewer people from less-fortunate parts of the globe are going to be willing to come here and do our dirty jobs for us, and what is will likely be less trustworthy. I can probably make my way through this jungle a little better than most while "playing out the string", but the picture is not a pretty one, and it will take major upheaval or two before the process is seriously addressed.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-12-2016 at 08:17 PM..

Old 03-15-2016, 07:11 PM

2nd Trip Ops

Thanks for the insight on what takes place on the other end of the customer support phone line.

I've never been dragooned into sales, thank God. Like so many of the US public, I have experienced the elimination of customer service/support that was replaced by relentless/remorseless/ruthless/ethicsless Sales No Matter What.

[soundcloud=400]158720628[/soundcloud]

Old 03-16-2016, 06:57 AM

City Data won't let me fix my original malfunctioning link above

Try this one

Comcast customer service: An employee explains why they won't let you cancel your service.

This is the most infamous recent example but most of us encounter variations every day.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:45 AM

7,267 posts, read 4,154,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
2nd Trip Ops

Thanks for the insight on what takes place on the other end of the customer support phone line.

I've never been dragooned into sales, thank God. Like so many of the US public, I have experienced the elimination of customer service/support that was replaced by relentless/remorseless/ruthless/ethicsless Sales No Matter What.

[soundcloud=400]158720628[/soundcloud]

I just called to cancel DirecTV and it took about 10 minutes to get everything set up.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:45 PM

And unfortunately, the employment picture seems to be getting dimmer still.

I've already documented the increased scrutiny I'm encountering on physical issues alone; and last week, my "Plan B" involving call-center work outsourced from a utility company also fell through. Loss of two "tiers" of options within a short time could lead to as much as a $3.50/hr pay cut, and when you can't make as much, you won't travel as far. And unfortunately, most of what's left in my own backyard is low-skill -- which translates to a workforce with a minimalistic attitude and supervisors who tend to rule via intimidation.

So I'm researching a couple of opportunities in white-collar fields (mostly medical -- my "substitute kid", someone I met years ago who's about the right age to be the daughter I never had) is encouraging me to learn coding -- it seems a good match for some other work I had that involved complicated manuals and structures.

And I'm also giving some serious thought to challenging the temp agency's ruling head on via the EEO; we drew up a summary of everything we saved over the past four years, and the list of actions and documents alone ran to three pages. I'm fast approaching a stage where age and physical condition will render the point moot, but I know I'm far from the only person whose found him/herself in this position -- and an opportunity to set a precedent wouldn't upset me in the least.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-26-2016 at 09:57 PM..

Old 05-30-2016, 03:14 PM

And the strange journey continues:

I made several attempts at finding another call-center opportunity, and in two of those cases. an E-mail rejection turned up in my inbox later the same day. And Mother Nature continues to remind me that I'm no longer capable of the tem miles or more of walking that characterizes a lot of distribution center jobs.

So I spent several weekends reattaching myself to a theme park where I supplemented income from other hit-and-miss sources of a paycheck where I worked during the Great Recession of '08-'11. It took three trips to do it, and included a broken suspension on my not-so-faithful 1998 Mercury -- but I got the job.

And as luck would have it, this Memorial Day weekend marked the first real warm weather of the season -- a series of 85+ degree days, and plenty of sunburn potential; I went home to a gritty downtown hotel (my network of rooming contacts hasn't hit pay dirt -- as yet) feeling like a wrung-out wet towel) but it beats sitting idle and bored; most of my co-workers are young and very diverse, and it can be interesting working with an ambitious supervisor who's forty-plus years your junior.

And as long as I'm down here, I'll be "prospecting" for something better; you stand a better chance of finding the odd, but suitable opportunity in a larger market. It still beats watching the paint peel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or