U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 03:34 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Interesting. Your house is uniquely built. I am guessing that the lack of fixed interior walls makes most of the reason that the house cost under 100k to build. Your insulation job will shock some but if they knew the weather that you in Maine can experience they would love to have that around them.

Good luck on the operation. Remember if you don't finish you can ask for a person to finish the job or wait until spring since it will be too cold soon.
Since moving to Maine, it does amaze us that most homes here have very little insulation. Then people complain about the cost of heating fuel.

Knowing that Maine has winters going into it, we decided to go for a lot of insulation instead. So far the most we have gone through for winter heat has been 3-1/2 cords of firewood [roughly $800]. I hope to cut that down to 1 cord soon, with the addition of Active Solar. We already get some Passive Solar gain, but not enough to make the house comfortable.

We also did a lot of research on radiant floors and how much less heating fuel they need to maintain comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 07:47 AM

7,980 posts, read 11,663,426 times
By radiant flooring you mean heated floors by some sort of tubing underneath...............tile? I might like tile better if it were warm but still don't really like it. Too hard. Plus where does the dog lay?

Old 10-13-2014, 08:07 AM

8,969 posts, read 7,745,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Anyone thinking of planning and building a retirement home? Anyone considering zero-net-energy home, modular or otherwise? What is, has been, your experience?

I'm particularly interested in smaller one-floor designs, max 1400 SF.
Where?

Old 10-13-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
By radiant flooring you mean heated floors by some sort of tubing underneath...............tile?
Heated flooring works with hard wood flooring, tile, carpeting, linoleum, etc. I am not aware of any flood covering that it would not work with. I have read that 'engineered' wood is best. Though I have mine on OSB.

Quote:
... I might like tile better if it were warm but still don't really like it. Too hard.
Your floor is too hard? Have you tried carpeting?

Quote:
... Plus where does the dog lay?
Anywhere she wants to.

It was a lot cheaper than putting in baseboards. Cheaper than air ducting too. PEX is not expensive.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:43 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,459,035 times
[quote=Submariner;36826620]Our home is steel.

I sprayed 2" of foam on the walls and roof, and then hung 9" of fiberglass batting, so insulation is around R-60.
quote]

I would be intersted in how you calculated your R values.

Open cell spray foam has an average R value of 3.6 per inch. Closed cell almost doubles that at r-6.5 per inch. 9 inch fberglass batts, well installed, have a maximu r value of r-23.

So assuming you sprayed closed cell foam and installed 9 inches of fiberglass, that only equals r-36.
Where are you getting ther extra r-24?

Old 10-13-2014, 01:04 PM

2 inches of foam gives R=12

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedL...romPage=GetDoc

Fiberglass comes in R-38 batts.

Owens Corning R38 Insulation Kraft Faced Batts 16 in. x 48 in. (8-Bags)-BF80 at The Home Depot

At the time, I used an online calculator that said by combining these materials [steel skin, foam, fiberglass, wood paneling] the end result would be R-60.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:55 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,459,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
2 inches of foam gives R=12

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedL...romPage=GetDoc

Fiberglass comes in R-38 batts.

Owens Corning R38 Insulation Kraft Faced Batts 16 in. x 48 in. (8-Bags)-BF80 at The Home Depot

At the time, I used an online calculator that said by combining these materials [steel skin, foam, fiberglass, wood paneling] the end result would be R-60.
R 38 is 12 inches thick

Old 10-13-2014, 05:12 PM

8,969 posts, read 7,745,489 times
I think the OP was more concerned with an energy efficient home versus a steel encased bomb shelter......LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement