U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:20 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,675,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Part of the fun of getting to this age is to know that life comes in stages. When I started my family I wanted a big back yard and all the bedrooms on the same floor, then shortly thereafter I wanted the privacy of a secluded bedroom away from the family fray. I've had a rec room in the basement, great for teenagers, and I've had the big great room off the kitchen. I've had the laundry in the basement, on the second floor level, in the kitchen and I've had a separate laundry room off the MBR. Again they all worked at the time.

I don't expect that any amount of planning is going to get me the right house to suit my needs for the next forty years. When we retired to Florida, what we missed most was stairs. My butt fell off from lack of exercise. Now we live in a 3-level townhouse and hello again, butt! For now we relish the free exercise but in time maybe we won't. We've got extra sleeping places for 5 to accommodate grandkids and guests but we know that soon the grandkids will stop coming to visit and then they'll start up again. We're already finding ourselves discouraging guests. They're a lot of work!

I hope I remain flexible enough to roll with what's thrown at me. We talk about staying put, we talk about the possibility of two smaller houses, and we talk about going back to Florida someday when the little ones have outgrown us. I don't want to become so rigid that I'm the grandma that says, "Look, we moved back to be near you. Why don't you come to visit?" I don't want to bang around in a too-big house and I don't want to feel squeezed into a premature coffin of a small house. I'll know when it's time to upsize, downsize or organize.

The thought of a final house, a small square footage of accommodation to take me through to my death disgusts me. I'm not going to plan now for when my legs don't work when I'm walking 10,000 steps a day!
I don't think there is much to disagree with here, BUT. It is much easier to move from house to house to condo to whatever life stage you are in if you have money. Money cant buy you love but it certainly can buy comfort, what you desire and ease of mind.
I'm speaking more from a point of trying to put together something that I will like and will last me as I don't have those kinds of finances. It would be so easy to just buy that little rural place I have always longed for even knowing I won't be able to maintain if for more than a few more years, then move to a house in town, then a condo, then assisted living apt, then nursing home. But that costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 08:31 AM

6,955 posts, read 7,401,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I don't think there is much to disagree with here, BUT. It is much easier to move from house to house to condo to whatever life stage you are in if you have money. Money cant buy you love but it certainly can buy comfort, what you desire and ease of mind.
I'm speaking more from a point of trying to put together something that I will like and will last me as I don't have those kinds of finances. It would be so easy to just buy that little rural place I have always longed for even knowing I won't be able to maintain if for more than a few more years, then move to a house in town, then a condo, then assisted living apt, then nursing home. But that costs.
Ha! Look at all these wealthy old geezers with their extremely young wives/GFs. Love? But, you're right, it's not love.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:07 AM

30,697 posts, read 49,495,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Ha! Look at all these wealthy old geezers with their extremely young wives/GFs. Love? But, you're right, it's not love.
Not love? Sure it is, they love the affluence.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:35 PM

986 posts, read 1,179,825 times
When I retired, we still had a mortgage hanging over our heads here in N. California! So, we got rid of it just breaking even and moved to the Philippines. After 2 yrs, we had our home built here and after 12 yrs our mortgage was paid in full! Life is good!

Old 09-05-2014, 03:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I beg to differ. My old man is a geezer, even wears suspenders, and I'm a lot younger (-looking ) and it's love. He certainly didn't hook up with me for my money.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:02 PM

It seems that building a retirement house makes a lot more sense to me these days, even if it is quite modest and rather small. That would mean roof, plumbing and heating, infrastructure and landscaping are all new, never to be replaced in our lifetime (possibly anyway). Even at that, it's amazing how fast a new house turns into a 30-year-old house.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:10 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,575,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It seems that building a retirement house makes a lot more sense to me these days, even if it is quite modest and rather small. That would mean roof, plumbing and heating, infrastructure and landscaping are all new, never to be replaced in our lifetime (possibly anyway). Even at that, it's amazing how fast a new house turns into a 30-year-old house.
Usually that 10 year mark triggers the A/C and water heater to act up
But that's still nothing compared to moving into a really old home and have something go at every turn.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:40 PM
mlb

3,197 posts, read 2,863,927 times
Bingo.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:20 PM

I stopped by a modular home showroom the other day (models). It didn't give me any more to go on than actual illustrations/photos online. The designs are pretty nice for the size we'd be interested in (12001400 SF) but now the thinking is, since we don't want to live rural, we'd have to spend quite a bit on an in-town property to build on. But then, there'd be in-town water and sewer. Lots to think about....

On another note....yet another friend (mid 70s) has gotten to the point where she cannot access her second floor (walker). Seems like the closer we get to that age the more sense it makes to be on one floor. Unless we see the value of (and can do) stairs as daily exercise, which I'm inclined toward based on my mother's use of stairs to keep her fit.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:58 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,460,899 times
I realize this post started a while ago but will share our experiences. We are in the final planning stages of building our retirement home. We previously built a 1100 square foot two story, and will go single level now. Stairs can be great exercise but if you can no longer climb them ahat is an issue. I will eventually probably have to have both knees and one hip replaced (one has been done) so don't want stairs.
We were going to build net zero energy but found out due to very low utility rates, we would never be able to see a payback on alternative energy. But are building hyper efficent. Our plan uses a larger footprint than you want 2400 but part of that is to allow a large passive solar collection area in the Great room. High levels of insulation and good windows increase the cost but if actual analysis is done the smaller efficient heating system can offset almost all of it.

Our windows will cost about $1000 each on average. If we do not use wood heat at all, our calculated electric bill will be $520 per YEAR, for all electric. The Heating system will run $4500 installed (air source heat pump)

Building costs are estimated at $130 per square foot, but the two car garage cost is included. (land is not)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement