Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 06:16 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times

Advertisements

Up to this point I have built every house I ever lived in since the age of twenty one. Building can take longer than you expect and cost more than you expect with a ton of decisions to make and still may not be what you need after awhile.

This is the first one I ever bought used. It took me a year to find. It's in a community with a manned guard gate for security, on a 1/4 acre lot just enough room for gardening and fruit trees surrounded by other seniors so as a person alone I can fall out of any door on any side and someone will find me relatively soon. There is also a switch for a flashing exterior light to alert roving patrols if you need help. It's within golf cart distance to a myriad of stores, restaurants, doctors, hospital, and free entertainment. The community center has a pool which I use daily, a wonderful workout room, a library, auditorium, and activity rooms with classes. Traffic is low so walking and bike riding are popular. Yes, there is a monthly amenity charge about what it would cost to have someone maintain a pool which is my desired exercise.

Hardwood floors make cleaning a breeze, and I've found that the cathedral ceiling makes this model look twice as big as the same one without it. It's a couple of years old so still in good shape and I don't mind the slightly dated kitchen as it fits in with my antiques. It has several solar tubes for natural light and an 80 gallon solar hot water tank to cut down on energy use. There is a passive sunroom and separate kitchen with pantry. I got the split bedroom plan for both a room mate and for a caretaker later on if needed. It would have cost me twice as much to build. Also has an attached oversized two car garage for storage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 07:20 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
... Hardwood floors make cleaning a breeze, and I've found that the cathedral ceiling makes this model look twice as big as the same one without it ...
I never thought about it before I moved in, but the cathedral ceiling in my home has proved to be one its most problematic features. I've painted every inch of this house myself, but I have to pay someone to do the cathedral ceiling. I can't change the lightbulbs even standing on a ladder and I live in terror that the smoke detector (which is wired together with all the others in the house) would go off because of a kitchen mishap. I have to get someone in here with an extension ladder on a regular basis to put in a new battery probably three times more often than necessary because heaven forbid it would decide the battery lacked juice in the middle of the night! I also have to have a special extension duster to clean cobwebs out of the corners and I can't clean the stuff on the plant ledge unless the guy I get to change the batteries takes it down for me and returns it after I wash it. They money and effort involved personally doesn't pay off for me, even though I agree it is an attractive feature of the house.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I never thought about it before I moved in, but the cathedral ceiling in my home has proved to be one its most problematic features. I've painted every inch of this house myself, but I have to pay someone to do the cathedral ceiling. I can't change the lightbulbs even standing on a ladder and I live in terror that the smoke detector (which is wired together with all the others in the house) would go off because of a kitchen mishap. I have to get someone in here with an extension ladder on a regular basis to put in a new battery probably three times more often than necessary because heaven forbid it would decide the battery lacked juice in the middle of the night! I also have to have a special extension duster to clean cobwebs out of the corners and I can't clean the stuff on the plant ledge unless the guy I get to change the batteries takes it down for me and returns it after I wash it. They money and effort involved personally doesn't pay off for me, even though I agree it is an attractive feature of the house.
I have had the same experience in the house that I just sold. I had to hire one of my neighbors to replace lights that were placed over the steps or were more than ten feet off the ceiling.

I had to pay people to clean the walls that were over 15 feet off of the floor.

One of my requirements for the new house were no ceilings over 8-9 feet high.

I just took three of my five ladders to the Habitat for Humanity in Tucson this afternoon.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:41 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
Cathedral ceilings make heating a home very expensive.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:58 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Cathedral ceilings make heating a home very expensive.
But they are probably better in hot areas where AC is the biggest expense.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I just got the estimates for a modular home, a modest 1000 SF. That is without the cost for any labor, a foundation, water/sewer hookup or well/septic, or indoor plumbing or electricity. I was taken aback, to say the least.
I recently found a ADA modular that was brand new (Grandma died before she got moved in). It sold for $26,500 but probably cost 2x that. It had a lot of nice features... roll-in bath, huge doors and bath and closets.

A senior MH park in the area is built on terraces, so each home is 100% 'ground level' accessible from under the carport (typically through sliding doors). Very nice when coming home for 'rehab'.
Safe in winter or slippery rain.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:03 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
I don't have light bulbs or plant shelves that are high up anywhere in the house so the only consideration of having a cathedral ceiling would come at painting time. My three step ladder is sufficient for whatever I may need on a normal basis around the house.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
delete

Last edited by brokensky; 07-22-2014 at 09:19 AM..

Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Is a single family home all that folks are considering these days?.
Well this thread is about building a retirement home.
One could buy land and build a town home if they so desire.
But I see lots not wanting more than a single story.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:05 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well this thread is about building a retirement home.
One could buy land and build a town home if they so desire.
But I see lots not wanting more than a single story.
Yes, you are right. I deleted the post to which you are referring. :-)

Last edited by brokensky; 07-22-2014 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement