U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:35 PM

8,187 posts, read 11,905,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Also, some folks see travel as a way to "one up" others around them, i.e. "Look - we have the discretionary income to travel all we want."
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No, I don't choose to give you a break. Seems to me you don't deserve one if the only thing you got out of my post was one sentence mentioning WHY some folks regale listeners w/ stories about their travels -- Especially since it is a true statement and was qualified by limiting the phenomena to "some" folks.
I don't care what kind of qualifier you use. It is not a true statement and the entire idea is beyond ridiculous.

BTW, I'd be interested to hear how you discerned that your statement was true. Did these mysterious "some" people confess to you that they undertook these trips simply so that they could "one up" you? Or was that simply another misguided assumption that you made?

Newsflash: People travel because they want to see and experience certain things. They're not doing it to impress you or anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 02:49 PM

2,734 posts, read 721,741 times
Thanks again, Armory.

Wellshonemoon, you are absolutely right. I have made progress in being true to myself and not just trying to please people in that I told her no and admitted that I don't like to travel/stay overnight anywhere else. But today I saw her (we went ahead with our previously scheduled plans of tubing down the river---day trip---90 miles away, leaving at 9 and returning home at 4---plenty for me). All was technically well---she seemed to have gotten over it. But because I was kind of explaining/apologizing my preferences and tried to soften the blow by reminding her that we all have quirks, she repeated that several times. I am fine about laughing at myself, but somehow this feels inauthentic and not warranted. My not liking to travel doesn't seem any quirkier than anything else most people like/don't like to do. I don't find it funny that some people prefer strawberry over chocolate ice cream. I don't think that's a quirk, just a preference. But at least it smoothed things over.

I'm just happy that even at my advanced age I can continue to develop as a person and to come back to what I used as a quote in my high school yearbook, but somehow lost along young and middle adulthood:

"Be yourself. No one can ever tell you that you are doing it wrong."

But we all need a little help from time to time and that's where some of you came in for me and I so appreciate it!

And whether I like to travel or not, I see there would be no way that I could spend 24 to 48 hours straight with another couple. This seven hours was as much as I could/would want to do. They are nice people. But I need to recharge after spending several hours with people and can only do that on my own, not continuing to hang out with others.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:09 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
It makes me sad to see what sheeple young people have become in their desperate need to conform to everything they see or hear on Social Media, TV, the Internet or other like sources. I would like think we Seniors have better sense that that. Do what makes you happy. Who cares what the so-called "norm" dictates?

Old 07-23-2014, 05:52 PM

3,937 posts, read 3,259,672 times
Home is where the average person has spent a lot of time and money to get it "just right", furnishings, rugs, paint, landscaping, and then we Americans dutifully run off and go elsewhere looking for whatever it is out there that enthralls us to the point that we spend a ton of money leaving the very home we poured our heart and souls into. Different strokes, that's us.

I do like to travel, but that's just me. I have little expectations of others and their business is definitely theirs. Is being a homebody OK? Sure it is, why in the world would one ask? Our society seems to be suffering from a type of socio/economic comparison malady, who really cares what others think, in the long run we all end up in the same predicament and residing in the same space, dead and gone. Relax, stay home, go or don't, it's your business.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:05 PM

662 posts, read 815,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Newsflash: People travel because they want to see and experience certain things. They're not doing it to impress you or anyone else.
I agree.

Like I mentioned higher up in the thread, we like to travel but we are not big socializers. When we travel, we tell our kids so they know where we are going, but beyond that, we don't really tell anybody anything about our travels; trying to impress others is the furthest thing from our minds.

I wonder where people get ideas like that? Very strange way of viewing the world...pretty pathetic, really.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:27 PM

3,937 posts, read 3,259,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
I agree.

Like I mentioned higher up in the thread, we like to travel but we are not big socializers. When we travel, we tell our kids so they know where we are going, but beyond that, we don't really tell anybody anything about our travels; trying to impress others is the furthest thing from our minds.

I wonder where people get ideas like that? Very strange way of viewing the world...pretty pathetic, really.
Well, I for one have heard these blowhards of travel expounding on the finer points of such and such a country, and, have you been there? There are people who love to lord it over the uninitiated untraveled souls and go to great lengths to show that their travelogues are sooo fascinating. In reality the poor people whom they are trying so hard to impress are darn near falling asleep and wish the blowhard would fall through the floor.LOL. Don't discount the stories of those who will go to a ton of expense and time just to impress those they think of as friends.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:39 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,803,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Well, I for one have heard these blowhards of travel expounding on the finer points of such and such a country, and, have you been there? There are people who love to lord it over the uninitiated untraveled souls and go to great lengths to show that their travelogues are sooo fascinating. In reality the poor people whom they are trying so hard to impress are darn near falling asleep and wish the blowhard would fall through the floor.LOL. Don't discount the stories of those who will go to a ton of expense and time just to impress those they think of as friends.
That can be true, but homebodies can do it too with where they dine and what they own (especially vehicles).

So that can cut both ways, you can be a smug jerk who travels or one who stays at home.

In our case, back to the original thread topic, we have a split point of view. Ideally, I'd like to travel about 50-70 days a year, but not really take any plane trips. Wife hates to travel, absolutely has to drag herself to go on a trip. Once there she generally has a decent time, but she will be just as difficult to get out of the house for the next trip.

Like the OP, we have our daily home routines and are fine with them, including regular stops by the gym and trips around the area. But I also like getting away for about 5 or so days a month, or for a week or so every few months. This is in addition to short term trips of only a couple of nights, to places fairly close by like San Francisco, Napa Valley or Monterrey.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,058,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2L8 View Post
Air travel used to be a lot easier before 9/11. I simply will not deal with all the current (*&&$#@ that is now involved.
Avoid airports and it's a non-issue. for road trips!

Old 07-24-2014, 06:06 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,578,241 times
Road trips are awesome except for the butt sores

Old 07-24-2014, 06:18 AM

19,786 posts, read 19,886,317 times
Road trips wouldn't so bad if there were no other cars on the road at the same time.
Three cheers for lightly trafficked rural roads and a pox on 75mph 4 and 6 lanes speedways and seemingly unending road construction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or