U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 05:21 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,918,106 times

Advertisements

I vote for the storage unit and mail service. Since your husband really doesn't like your current locale you will more than likely find some place in your travels you'd rather call home, maybe even in a foreign country. Having less to deal with and less expense will free you up more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,484,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
The house with a MIL suite is a great idea. You could go one step further and buy a duplex, then rent one side. A wifi security system with cameras and alerts set on the a/c units, hot water heaters and fire/CO2 alarms might work.

Are there any other re;atives that could be a part of the equation?
I was widowed in my prior marriage and have a stepdaughter I care deeply for, but don't see much just because she is a busy wife & mother and has her in-laws and own Mom very involved in her life. There are also my late husband's other grandkids who are young adults (he had a daughter who pre-deceased him in a car accident) but again, they each have lots of family so I don't see them much outside of Facebook . So, don't really have anyone to put in another side of a duplex in a location I would find desirable......

Old 07-23-2014, 07:57 AM

38,290 posts, read 14,965,857 times
My friend in Sausalito found regular renters, not relatives, to rent her house. I think she's leased it for going on a decade now and has maybe three different tenants. She does credit checks, and checks references, first and last and damage deposit and has made it clear she will sue if there's any serious damage.

She has a separate entrance, but they share the driveway. She's thinking of getting one of those Next-Gen homes in another area she visits a lot. Apparently, these homes are built to accommodate separate driveways and sometimes even separate garages.

With the interest rates so low, and being able to write off a large percent of the mortgage (percent of square footage I believe) as rental expense, she is able to have a home base with minimal expense.

Duplex would work as well, but she likes living in higher end communities that typically don't have many duplexes available for sale.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:28 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,353,343 times
If it were me I'd sell everything so no worries about plumbing, etc if you'll be gone for more than 6 months. Even with a turnkey condo water breaks can and do happen and tenants underneath can sue for water damage. But again if it were me I'd make the first 6 months a test and see how things went before selling everything.

We've spent the last 4 years traveling part of the year in an RV but this year we're staycationing. Traveling takes a toll even when you are in the same place for a while. Have you thought about how to locate good doctors and good hospitals in new locations? We've never had anything serious happen but it's a matter to consider.

Coming home to familiar grocery stores, doctors and neighborhood makes traveling more fun for me. But that's me, YMMV. Getting rid of accumulated "stuff" however and downsizing is always a good idea for retired peeps. We're not ready for a "tiny home" but decluttering is this years project.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:12 AM

14,423 posts, read 7,939,946 times
I like the idea of selling your home and using the rental property as your permanent address. It serves two purposes. It's a great place to store your belongings and if it's your permanent address for two years you won't have to pay capital gains on the property when or if you decide to sell it.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 AM

13,893 posts, read 25,347,447 times
I would sell it all and use the rental property you already have as 'home'. For the tax advantages and the fact that you already own the property. Condo fees can really add up and in lots of cases are almost as bad as a mortgage payment. And they never go away either.

Have always thought I would love the Nomad life. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-23-2014, 11:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,649 posts, read 40,020,325 times
1) u r in a Tax free state...keep your domicile there
2) Sell Primary house and take the free capital gains
3) buy a duplex / condo that can cash flow AND have significant equity gain and EZ to sell (very important)
4) get rid of 'stuff' that you don't need or may never want
5) avoid storage

I would also buy a rural place with a shop and apartment for you and your stuff, and rent out the main house. (I do that near SA, and works GREAT ~ 15% ROI, plus free place to live / store stuff) Your always have a home to come back to if needed...

Be emotionally prepared to be international nomads. Not for everyone, but is certainly OK with me!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 PM

10,014 posts, read 16,688,406 times
It seems to me that you have a choice of buying a condo or storing stuff. Buying a duplex, using one side as your home would be an option IF you could find a very responsible renter for the other side. IMHO being a landlord while doing a lot of traveling is problematic.

If you have nice stuff and want to keep it that way you will need to store it in a climate controlled storage facility. Price those out as that cost should be compared to HOA fees of a condo. In our area they can easily exceed $200/mo. Keep in mind the fact that you will also need to insure your stuff and many insurance companies won't touch that market.

Whether or not a condo works for you really depends on your real estate market. Maybe you could find one that you know needs remodeling and use it as-is, then upgrade it when you want to sell or settle in for the long haul. There are moisture alarms that you can leave under sinks, for example, that screech like a smoke alarm. You could also ask the HOA property manager to check your unit periodically. Rarely is there a charge as they are looking for water not only from your unit but from those above and abutting you.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:20 PM

10,531 posts, read 8,778,692 times
As long as you own more stuff than you can throw in the trunk of your car, you'll never make it as a gypsy.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 AM

10,819 posts, read 8,075,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
1) u r in a Tax free state...keep your domicile there
Whether you decide on TX or elsewhere, be very sure to familiarize yourself with domicile laws. They matter.
In your OP, you said you plan to stay in some places as long as 12 months. Be aware that in most US states, a stay >6 months = legal residency, with all the tax and estate consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or