U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:59 PM

5,167 posts, read 8,691,075 times

Advertisements

When I grew up, I always wondered why no one stayed with us. Never. They stayed in a hotel.

Then, I looked at my life. Same thing. Kind of hard since most live nearby.

My husband and I will be visiting our daughter in NYC. We always stay in a hotel. In fact, our daughter is the one who picks which one it will be. Life is too short to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 05:03 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,490,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Oh rzzz seriously, get a grip. Your life is not in ruins because of people older than you. What are you going to say when you hit 55? Complain about the young?
I am 55...

Old 07-23-2014, 05:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I am 55...
The road is straight ahead.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:09 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

My husband and I will be visiting our daughter in NYC. We always stay in a hotel. In fact, our daughter is the one who picks which one it will be. Life is too short to complain.
That imo is a healthy way of going about things. You are sparing your daughter from having to play host, which can be stressful even with one's own parents. A lot of parents impose themselves, thinking it their right.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:38 PM

323 posts, read 418,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You are correct. But the amount of rage expressed in that thread is extraordinary. Apparently my post did have an ameliorating effect because some subsequent posts showed a marked change.

I must mention that the cuts in Medicare caused by Obamacare were intentional. The writers of that foul piece of legislation were without question a self-appointed Death Committee.

On a lighter note, I must mention that an indoor temperature of 78 would send me running. I can't conceive of sleeping in it.

Addition: I just noticed that they're at it again joking about a bed that repels a MIL. They want us dead.
You mean Medicare Advantage? So what? Just get regular medicare. $105 a month just like its always been.

I would think that people would have a care for their old stove up elders. After all, all they did to raise them.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:40 PM

323 posts, read 418,779 times
I am not disappointed in anyone since I chose not to have any children.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:49 PM

351 posts, read 456,960 times
Default I totally agree with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I read this and felt so sad for the mother and the couple.

When my first grandson was born, I slept on an air mattress with a slow leak at my daughter's house. I had to get up a couple of times every night to pump it up. My daughter had a new baby and I was a lot younger.

When my son inlaw's mother and grandmother went to visit, I told my daughter to give them the bedroom and make other arrangements (air bed, sleeping bags, sofa, whatever) for she and her husband.

I still thought of my daughter as a child and I instructed her on how to act. If she resented it, she didn't tell me. She is a gracious hostess today.

People don't seem to have manners anymore. Perhaps we are not teaching them to our children. I'm not sure they hate the elderly, but you sure don't get any respect just because you are old.

I think good manners, in general, are on the wane. Respect for elders and authority figures seems to be disappearing too.
When my parents who are now in their late seventies visit my brother and sister in law in North Carolina, they give up their master bedroom and sleep elsewhere to ensure that my parents are comfortable. I appreciate this, and my brother has a HUGH house! He has 6 bedrooms, 4 full bathrooms, etc., etc..

When my parents visit my sister and her husband who live in a small town in Indiana, they have my parents sleeping on a futon that isn't really comfortable. What a difference! It's hard to believe we grew up in the same family.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:51 PM

1,755 posts, read 1,945,227 times
"There was nothing of that in that thread but it will be nice when all the crabby old people die."

A-bloody-men! Along with their loaded Depends and Alfred Dunner wardrobes.

Just because an individual has failed to croak doesn't confer upon him/her special status.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:39 PM

9,745 posts, read 7,027,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
When I grew up, I always wondered why no one stayed with us. Never. They stayed in a hotel.

Then, I looked at my life. Same thing. Kind of hard since most live nearby.

My in-laws ( when they were well enough to travel) always did the same thing, stayed in a hotel/motel when they visited relatives, and my husband ( Travelad, I guess he'd be) and I have done the same thing most of the time when we visited relatives. Basically we all did this because we cherish our privacy, and just feel better staying where we can do exactly as we want to without worrying about putting out those we were visiting. We explained this to people we visited that were first a little put out that we didn't stay with them, but they understood, and found, when they thought about it, that they appreciated not having to worry about our accomodations, quirks, sleeping preferences, and could concentrate on visits.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:41 PM

9,745 posts, read 7,027,781 times
[quote=Zenstyle;35781739]"There was nothing of that in that thread but it will be nice when all the crabby old people die."

A-bloody-men! Along with their loaded Depends and Alfred Dunner wardrobes.

Just because an individual has failed to croak doesn't confer upon him/her special status.[/quote]

I guess the same could be said about an individual of any age. Including those who are put out because all the folks older than they are haven't "croaked".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement