U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 04:48 PM

6,370 posts, read 3,580,666 times

Advertisements

His WIFE got what I was saying. In fact, the rest of the people trying to get down that aisle did too. They were LAUGHING. Yes, it really was absurd trying to tell an OLD WOMAN that she didn't have respect for the ELDERLY. You mean, MALE elderly? His wife kept looking at me smiling and shurging. SHE was the one who took his cart, and HIM, and pushed it out of EVERYONE's way.

I have to say that I have never had a problem with Senior WOMEN. It is only the SENIOR MEN who seem to have some kind of chip on their shoulders. Maybe I should have played the GENDER card and called him a SEXIST PIG? Thought of that but bit my tongue. It was a totally absured confronation which never should have happened if he wasn't rude and obstinent. HE was in the wrong, and even his wife agreed by the looks she gave me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 05:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
The huge wave of boomers going toward being elderly are going to likely cause a lot of frustrations for those younger. We ate at a reputable restaurant last night where, ironically, when I was in my early twenties I was a "hostess." I remember so well working there, young with long hair, slim....those were the days. Anyway, I cast my glance around the place and I would estimate that 4 out of 5 tables, or 80%, were boomers or older, just judging by their looks.

So that means...we'll be standing in line in front of whippersnappers trying to find the debit card, we'll be slowly rolling down highways at 40 mph, we'll be clogging up the system everywhere we go. LOL. Get used to it, you young guys.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:06 PM

858 posts, read 950,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
His WIFE got what I was saying. In fact, the rest of the people trying to get down that aisle did too. They were LAUGHING. Yes, it really was absurd trying to tell an OLD WOMAN that she didn't have respect for the ELDERLY. You mean, MALE elderly? His wife kept looking at me smiling and shurging. SHE was the one who took his cart, and HIM, and pushed it out of EVERYONE's way.

I have to say that I have never had a problem with Senior WOMEN. It is only the SENIOR MEN who seem to have some kind of chip on their shoulders. Maybe I should have played the GENDER card and called him a SEXIST PIG? Thought of that but bit my tongue. It was a totally absured confronation which never should have happened if he wasn't rude and obstinent. HE was in the wrong, and even his wife agreed by the looks she gave me.

Yeah..........Men get mean when they get old. I reckon it comes from a lifetime of being jawed at by women

Seriously - I work in elderly housing and by far, the nastiest, most conniving, two-faced, backstabbing, nitpicking people I deal with are women.........'course, they outnumber the men by at least 7 to 1....and if you're wondering why, refer back to my first statement.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:11 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,956,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I said "if she resented it, she didn't tell me". She was in her twenties, a little nervous about a visit from her MIL, and I offered a suggestion.

They had 2 bedrooms and two baths, their bedroom having the private bath. I remember saying to my daughter that this would really work out better for everyone since she and her husband could use the whole apartment, stay up as late as they wanted, etc, and the guests (one a great gramma) could have privacy.

I think the post I took this quote from is the sort of post the OP and I found disturbing in the other thread. I'm not sure how old the original MIL is or what sort of issues they have in general. It was the general lack of manners and respect as well as the wife being caught in the middle that bothered me.
It appears I missed that "if" when responding. My apologies. I stand by the assessment that in most circumstances giving up the master bedroom is not the best solution, though I am also used to living in a 3 bed/3 bath/3 story house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement