Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:04 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Except for not realizing that most people my then age of 55 are still working, I think I prepared just fine for retirement at 55 but not for being retired at 65 or 75. So, that would be my advice. Do your location plans take into consideration what it will be like for you 10 or 20 years later in the spot you are moving to or the spot where you remain? I'm coming at it from a health condition angle but I could see other non-financial reasons to consider what seems to be a faraway future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 12:28 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
LauraC, you said it. My dad knew this place wouldn't be good as we got older years before DH lost the hip. He begged, plotted and pleaded to get us to go south.

Did we listen? Heck no, 'O we have really good jobs, we love it here,' blah blah blah. BS. Can't wait to go.

You can plan for the money part but not for failing health. Stuff happens. Amazing how little is written on planning for failing health aside from insurance. You go from Superhero to injured/sick zero real quick when it happens......

Curm, we'll see you at the Villages if you come to the ranch up in Jupiter if you like!

Old 08-06-2014, 05:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Our retirement went well enough. But our plans to sell our home did not. It took us several years to get our house sold so we could move cross country.

We did manage to get it sold though. We have never regretted our decision to move. And it all worked out for us here. We bought at the bottom of the housing market, and we got a good mortgage rate. Things could have been far, far worse.

While we were in "limbo" with our home, I tried to make sure that we did as many things locally as we wanted to. We explored our home state, and traveled other places too. We were conscious that we had only the now for sure. So we tried to have a good quality of life, even at a time when we didn't get to do exactly what we wanted, when we wanted.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Our retirement went well enough. But our plans to sell our home did not. It took us several years to get our house sold so we could move cross country.

We did manage to get it sold though. We have never regretted our decision to move. And it all worked out for us here. We bought at the bottom of the housing market, and we got a good mortgage rate. Things could have been far, far worse.

While we were in "limbo" with our home, I tried to make sure that we did as many things locally as we wanted to. We explored our home state, and traveled other places too. We were conscious that we had only the now for sure. So we tried to have a good quality of life, even at a time when we didn't get to do exactly what we wanted, when we wanted.
So many good points in your post. I think the "only now for sure" statement says it all, really. No matter what our circumstances, that really is all we know and can deal with - what is actually there, on our plates, at that moment. Planning and goals - absolutely necessary! But making the most of what is at hand, and getting through it with a positive attitude . . . seems that is key to gracefully making transitions in life.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:46 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
^^^ Amen! Carpe diem!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:23 PM

987 posts, read 1,386,105 times
All I wanted was to retire early and I did! We took a leap of faith and moved to the Philippines, our roots! We have been here going on 18 years now and still enjoying our retirement lifestyle!

Old 09-06-2014, 09:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Except for not realizing that most people my then age of 55 are still working, I think I prepared just fine for retirement at 55 but not for being retired at 65 or 75. So, that would be my advice. Do your location plans take into consideration what it will be like for you 10 or 20 years later in the spot you are moving to or the spot where you remain? I'm coming at it from a health condition angle but I could see other non-financial reasons to consider what seems to be a faraway future.
Precisely my feeling. If a move now or soon does not put us in a place where we could function better at age 75–80 than we can now, it is not worth it to us.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:15 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,557 times
in the past,i've posted quite a bit about my "final" retirement plans- specifically where and what kind of housing. i've thought for some time that a ccrc would be the best situation for me for a number of reasons, and i've investigated quite a few . some of this interest and some of my concerns that led to seriously considering a ccrc were rooted in the experiences i had as a geriatric social worker.

however, in the last several months i've begun to consider other possibilities. i think one reason for the change is based on some issues that have been voiced here, specifically the significance that longevity has come to play in the aging process- we really are living longer. as much as some seniors want to make the next move their final move , not moving again- i'm one of them- i'm not certain that this is realistic given how current baby boomers and war babies- i'm one of those-are aging so differently than the previous generation. what might have suited a 75 year old 25 years ago does not necessarily fit those currently in that age group. also, for many women especially, who had careers as opposed to those women 25 years ago who were primarily homemakers, the expectations for retirement are different, more varied, and more individualistic.it may be that a ccrc is a possible alternative at some point, but if one is planning a move at 65 or 70, there will probably have to be some kind of interim alternative that would meet some of the individual's unique criteria, and many ccrcs do not, at this point, offer this.

i think we will see more retirees who can afford it, moving into condos, apartments in cities, small towns with cultural offerings, and perhaps remaining in these locations, for the long haul. they would have to be able to pay for care a s needed or have ltc insurance that would fund in-home care . for some, this arrangement would not be a final move but be an interim choice. i myself am looking at some alternative independent cottages/apartments which have maintenance, housekeeping, etc. included in their rental fee, but have on their campus assisted living and nursing components if needs change. they are in an area where there are a number of cultural offerings, as well as shopping, restaurants, etc.

unfortunately i'm in a hurry today and am not stating here what i would like to say, have become very long-winded, but this is the best i can do at the moment. i think this is a transitional time for people 60+ into mid/ late 70s, who have wanted to make what they consider to be permanent plans.that just may not be possible; it may be more important to remain flexible realizing that what you are choosing or accepting now may not be your final choice.

catsy girl

Old 09-07-2014, 01:09 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
catsy,

What you say makes a lot of sense. The downside though is complex. For some of us the years are flying by. Ten years in one place is a drop in the bucket. Heck, I feel like I've just moved in to this house here and it's three years next month. Energy-wise and expense-wise, I don't think we could do an interim move before the final place (ccrc's are not in our realm of possibilities). The kicker is that this place is growing on us, it's pleasant, safe, we own it, it's near family and friends and everything we need, just that the projection of taxes over many more years is a bit scary. And we do have a pull to another place. If we elect to go that route, we will be accepting that there's no coming back here. The area is really out of reach $-wise, as are many desirable places now in the U.S. Those who are looking at a "next move" now will need a good plan in case it doesn't work out as hoped, and a "what if" plan if the next move becomes the final place instead of a ccrc.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:45 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
catsy,

What you say makes a lot of sense. The downside though is complex. For some of us the years are flying by. Ten years in one place is a drop in the bucket. Heck, I feel like I've just moved in to this house here and it's three years next month. Energy-wise and expense-wise, I don't think we could do an interim move before the final place (ccrc's are not in our realm of possibilities). The kicker is that this place is growing on us, it's pleasant, safe, we own it, it's near family and friends and everything we need, just that the projection of taxes over many more years is a bit scary. And we do have a pull to another place. If we elect to go that route, we will be accepting that there's no coming back here. The area is really out of reach $-wise, as are many desirable places now in the U.S. Those who are looking at a "next move" now will need a good plan in case it doesn't work out as hoped, and a "what if" plan if the next move becomes the final place instead of a ccrc.

i understand what you're saying about certain decisions regarding where/how to live now may make going back impossible if the move doesn't work out . i think the sense of time limitations factors in to to a greater extent now than it ever did in the past, and there is the feeling of needing to get it right.

i also understand getting to feel comfortable where you are, even though it may not have been where you thought you'd be permanently. i am really starting to feel that way where i am - after eight years-, and some of the comfort level is really due to very practical considerations- good medical care, location with easy access to several large cities, adequate amenities nearby without having to be in an urban area, and activities in which i'm now involved. if i do move it will probably be close to where i am now and perhaps a residential setting; however, i'm not even certain that i'll do that or feel the need to do that. i'm still looking at possibilities.

catsy girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement