U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 02:08 PM

5,406 posts, read 21,492,717 times

Advertisements

I have always used cheap windows lap tops but I have to admit the display on the new Mac laptops is stunning as far as clarity. I understand you could ever run windows on it if you cannot stand to switch.

I really don't see how the younger generation manages with smart phones as a substitute... I cannot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 02:40 PM

21,590 posts, read 44,351,232 times
Vision issues I don't have unless I'm not taking my eye vitamins or am excessively tired. Use Ctrl + most of the time, plus drugstore reading glasses. Sometimes wish the 15.5" laptop screen was bigger because of NYT pages, etc. - don't like the scrolling - but not getting a new laptop just for that. Do have a big stand-alone monitor, but don't use it. No iPad or Smartphone here - no need, plus screens way too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
as this one has a dead keyboard on the laptop now, its not working right and bought a refirb.
I replaced my own keyboard last year. Simple, simple. Bought the brand new OEM part off eBay for under $20. Youtube vid on how to replace made it easy, peasy. Took 15 minutes. Not paying someone $100 to fix what I can do for myself - not to mention not having the computer readily at hand if I need it. I have a Dell 15.5" Inspiron laptop - bt 2006 - going strong. Only use it for internet, simple Word/Excel docs and email, so not planning to replace it anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
don't see how people avoid sore necks with this screen sitting on your lap.
Recliners make it easy. Never was one for sitting upright when I got home from work. Now that I'm retired, in the recliner much of the day for phone, paperwork, etc. Laptop right next to me or in my lap. Sort of an appendage, actually.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:01 PM

26,302 posts, read 12,977,213 times
I have a Seiki 50 inch 4K UHD LED HDTV I use for a monitor. I actually regret not getting the smaller 39" version. This things a monster. But even then I have to make some text bigger because of the 4K display.

I am a software engineer though, so the massive screen real estate from the resolution bump to 4K is pretty nice. You do need a really good video card as well to handle the resolution.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:04 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,507,690 times
i use blu blockers brand sunglasses when I'm at work or at home on the computer.
those ones with the late night TV commercials. they really work. much better than prescription computer glasses retailing for hundreds of dollars.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:25 PM

4,368 posts, read 6,102,927 times
I have a desktop. Monitors let you adjust font size. I also spend a lot of time on my 10" tablet. With a twist of my fingers I can expand any site to HUGE! Both are very adaptable to aging eyes.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:54 PM

11,337 posts, read 8,553,375 times
I just use reading glasses. I'm on a computer much of my work day and a good deal at home. Glasses work for me.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,434,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I have a Seiki 50 inch 4K UHD LED HDTV I use for a monitor. I actually regret not getting the smaller 39" version. This things a monster. But even then I have to make some text bigger because of the 4K display.

I am a software engineer though, so the massive screen real estate from the resolution bump to 4K is pretty nice. You do need a really good video card as well to handle the resolution.
WOWZERS. Now I have monitor envy, lololol.

My son keeps telling me to just hook this laptop up to a 36" TV - I am a gamer, too, so the extra real estate would be awesome!!! And yes, a good video card would be essential.

I also watch movies on my computer so an even bigger viewing area would be very nice, indeed.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:41 AM

13 posts, read 11,121 times
I have a rather heavy bar table, less than three feet high with centre supporting beam and I do my pc (lap top) thing on my couch, works fine, of course, I lean my head back and adjust the screen to my liking.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:29 AM

36,487 posts, read 44,085,383 times
I have macular degeneration and reading is very difficult for me. I didn't read anything for 3 years until I got my Kindle and now on the largest font I can read all day.

For computer use I have Windows PC with 22" LCD flat screen but I have my screen magnified so large I have to scroll left and right all day in order to read anything. It gets tiresome.

I use my 10" nexxus a lot for reading newspapers every day and sometimes watching a HBO or Netflix shows.

My eyes hurt constantly. Doc had me on Restasis for awhile but I couldn't tell much difference. Now on prednisolone eye drops and artificial tears but they still hurt. if I try to read a label or newsprint instant headache.

I don't think a laptop would work for me cause I have two laptop kitties already there. But we do have one for our kids so I guess I could try but this set up is working OK for me.

Secretary in eye doc office showed me her computer and monitor which is awesome. She is slowly going blind but doc still keeps her on with accommodating equipment. Nice to know technology is available should I ever need it.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:58 AM

7,141 posts, read 8,224,798 times
Our new home is off-grid, so not much AC power (we do have an inverter for some, which goes mainly to the kitchen). 12 volt is where it's at, for me. That meant that just before we moved, we gave away our PCs to a couple of our 6 grandkids. In exchange, we got a Samsung Galaxy tablet, which, along with our phones, are all kept charged with a couple of huge external battery packs, via USB. And we can charge up the battery packs via 12 volt, no problem. We don't bother with TV, and haven't in a long time. BTW, if you don't recharge via battery pack, you should try it, esp on the road!

As for eyes, as somebody pointed out, with a tablet you can magnify anything to a HUGE size with the flick of a finger; sometimes I inadvertently do so, and have to pinch it back down. But the screen is hi-def, hard, and shiny. Oddly, this makes things sharper. Much better than a PC screen.

The only time there's a problem for me, is when I'm in bed and reading news, with the tablet on my chest (ya gotta have a case for these, to set 'em up). One night, when my eyes got tired (I had reading glasses on), I reached over and grabbed my wife's glasses. Yeah...I had 2 pair of glasses on! And I can't believe how big and SHARP everything was, way up close! Try this sometime, if you have an extra pair of readers, and can bring your tablet, phone, or laptop up close! ZERO eyestrain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or