Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:52 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times

Advertisements

I know I spend way too much time on my laptop every day. And my eyes just can't take it like they used to.
Am considering getting a desk top all-in-one with a huge monitor that is easy on the eyes but stays in one place. Meaning I can't sit in front of the TV or in bed with it.

Just curious: what do you use for computer work/enjoyment? a laptop, desktop, tablet, etc etc? And are you happy with it? If so, what brand did you choose? Thanks for all advice !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 11:07 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
I have a Toshiba laptop with the biggest monitor I could find (Previously had a huge desktop monitor)
No trouble with it (except getting used to Win8 at first), have had it for about 18 months.
Very happy with it,
And I'm using it online/offline a LOT.
Eyedrops help, LOL

I occasionally have to hit the Ctrl+ for certain websites to make the font bigger, but that's the websites idiotic design, not my eyes

Old 07-24-2014, 11:12 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,396 times
I'm still using a Gateway desktop I bought new about 7 years ago. It has a large screen which is easier to see than a laptop. I'll probably buy a laptop at some point, as I'd like to have one when on a trip. But having a desktop for me means not spending so much time online. I have to get up to walk or do other things. I don't want to get into the habit of having to be online as many hours as I'm awake.

My eyes are changing as well and I find that I have to get up anyway and do other things. When my eyes start to tear up or hurt, that is my key that it is time to do something else.

I like having a desktop but I guess they are becoming obsolete. Seems that happens to the things I like.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:32 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,618 times
I used to have 20"+ screen areas on my old early-days IBM PCs but my current Dell Vostro laptop has a 15.5" screen and I am fine with that. However..... it is a MATTE surface screen which makes a huge difference IMHO. It was the only one available with a matte screen. If/when this dies and I can't find something with a matte screen to replace it, I will be a very unhappy camper. I would have liked a larger screen but larger screen = heavier laptop, and at the time I bought it I needed to be able to use it at multiple locations.

I have thought about an iPad Mini but the screen is just too small. Needless to say I do not have a smartphone, nor want one. ;-) I could probably get used to a regular size iPad for occasional use away from home, but their pricetag is prohibitive for me.

I do have a Sony portable DVD player with a 9.5" diagonal screen that I have occasionally used to watch movies on, and that is okay because there is no text/scrolling involved. Plus I don't need to wear my glasses in order to see detail if the screen is that close, LOL. But that's as small as I would be comfortable going. Can't fathom why anyone would want to watch a movie on a smartphone or iPad mini size screen.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:59 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
I have an ipad. With cellular connection I love it.
Bh who said he'd never touch a computer uses it all the time because it's portable.

I have to use eye drops, though.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:43 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Dry Eyes from Computer Use

I use a 4 yr. old Dell desktop most of the time. (We also have a laptop).

I've noticed that my eyes often get tired (AND dry) if I stay on the computer a couple of hours+. What I've learned from research is that frequently looking away from the monitor, especially at a distance, i.e., looking out a window, helps. Also, be sure to have your monitor far enough away from your eyes. I think that's 18" but better look that distance up. Another thing I avoid is having a light directly shining on the screen or at my eyes while I'm at the computer. Light seems to make my eyes drier. Even a halogen floor lamp shining in my direction 8' away can sometimes hurt my eyes. Drops for dry eyes help a lot. You can buy them over the counter at the drugstore. I like GenTeal gel drops at bedtime. Blue eyes are usually more sensitive than brown eyes, according to my ophthalmologist.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Been on Macs since 1985 (at work) and 1992 (at home). Have always had a cinema monitor (this one is 23") b/c I do graphics work as well as write. So I need the BIG type and lots of magnification to see errors on layouts.

I also have an iPad, which is really helpful for doing client tasks on the road or while outside.

I often end up using the iPad to play Candy Crush or Words with Friends at night before I go to bed, lololol.

Nice for checking email, too!

If you like your laptop (no issues with it?) then why not just get yourself a good sized monitor for your desk? That way you can still have the portability of the laptop (if you ever need that!) and with a big landscape monitor, your eyes won't be so taxed. When I have to use my laptop without the monitor attached, I am miserable!!! Just too dern small to read well!!!

Old 07-24-2014, 01:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Been on Macs since 1985 (at work) and 1992 (at home). Have always had a cinema monitor (this one is 23") b/c I do graphics work as well as write. So I need the BIG type and lots of magnification to see errors on layouts.

I also have an iPad, which is really helpful for doing client tasks on the road or while outside.

I often end up using the iPad to play Candy Crush or Words with Friends at night before I go to bed, lololol.

Nice for checking email, too!

If you like your laptop (no issues with it?) then why not just get yourself a good sized monitor for your desk? That way you can still have the portability of the laptop (if you ever need that!) and with a big landscape monitor, your eyes won't be so taxed. When I have to use my laptop without the monitor attached, I am miserable!!! Just too dern small to read well!!!
To expand on anifani821's post, one can hook up a monitor to their laptop and turn that laptop into a desktop.

And if one gets a docking station then a monitor, keyboard, mouse can all be plugged into the docking station and the laptop as well and voila..you have a desktop setup. And when you want to be mobile, just take the laptop out of the docking station.

That's how I worked for years on my job. The laptop came home everyday and when I got into the office it went into the docking station and I had a "desktop" setup.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
To expand on anifani821's post, one can hook up a monitor to their laptop and turn that laptop into a desktop.

And if one gets a docking station then a monitor, keyboard, mouse can all be plugged into the docking station and the laptop as well and voila..you have a desktop setup. And when you want to be mobile, just take the laptop out of the docking station.

That's how I worked for years on my job. The laptop came home everyday and when I got into the office it went into the docking station and I had a "desktop" setup.
I use the screen on my laptop, but a seperate ergonomic keyboard and thumb operated track ball. The laptop sits on top of a five dollar plastic box from Walmart where I store things and give the bottom of t he laptop air to cool. I've considered a monitor, but as this one has a dead keyboard on the laptop now, its not working right and bought a refirb. I'm getting this one fixed, but don't see how people avoid sore necks with this screen sitting on your lap.

I have a desktop too, unused but working and am going to hook it to the tv for watching videos. That way I can be watching a movie or tv show or watching you tube vids on one and writing on the laptop at the same time. I can't imagine not having my toys....

Taking the laptop somewhere is a problem because I don't do well on flat keyboards and the external keyboard is actually larger than the laptop.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:58 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
I have a pair of glasses that I wear for work. They are single lens but weaker than my regular prescription. Much less expensive than a large monitor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement