Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 06:32 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Who here has experience with or knowledge about qualified longevity annuity contracts (QLACs):

Retirement: Having your cake and eating it, too - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 07:25 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,983 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/perso...insurance.html

I was given some good information on the above post.

I did look into it and have been getting quotes from my insurance agent. It isn't easy to read through all of the different quotes. You will need a high tolerance for boredom. These are very twisty sort of contracts and every twist adds an expense.

One of the things you have to think about is that the younger you are when you purchase it, the less it will cost, and vise versa. I have been given several quotes for $100K single premium payment that will generate $50K annually when I am 85. I have the option of starting earlier than 85, but that reduces the annual amount that I receive.

You have to keep in mind that the value you are purchasing today is going to be eroded by inflation tomorrow, so you really need to calculate the future purchasing power of what you are buying and should have some idea of what you think you will need.

You also have to be comfortable giving an insurance company the money now and not have access to it until a long time in the future. You usually cannot change your mind once you have handed over the money.

For tax planning purposes, you also have to keep in mind that depending upon how the annuity is purchased it is taxable and will affect how much of your social security is taxable and the tax bracket that you are in.

Now that I have spoken with my insurance agent, I will be meeting with a retirement planner soon to go over all of my options. I will then speak with a CPA to review the tax side of things.

Scientia potentia est ... knowledge is power.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:38 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,983 times
NEG, is there a way for me to send you a private message regarding this post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement