U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 03:04 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just went online to check out Peet's. I see organically grown teas (no pesticides), but not coffees. I wonder why they don't offer any.
Ask 'em. Most if not all of their beans come from elsewhere not inhabited by green people and old hippies. They do sell several fair trade coffees however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 03:09 PM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Ha. I just drink coffee in the morning with the A/C on.
Two days in a row last week - 115 degrees
Yesterday - 104 degrees
Today - 106 degrees

The highlight of my week so far - the AC is working like a charm

I should have had coffee this morning.

The monsoons hit last night (12:30 am - 5 am) and we hit a low of 68F outside of Tucson. It was chilly this morning on my 6:30 am forced march.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:19 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,445,259 times
I love iced coffee. And cold cappuccinos and cold lattes. All year round, but particularly in the spring and summer.

Drinking an iced coffee can be a highlight of a day, especially sitting outside.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:57 PM

1,567 posts, read 578,952 times
Smile I serve Folgers to my 94 year-old mom!

Oh boy, where do I start? Oh yes, retirement, that's right. The highlight of my day?

First of all, my early retirement got a slight push by the new Federal budget last October, so I haven't been doing this very long. Right now, the highlights of my day consist of finally being a grandma after 37 yrs of marriage and surprise the baby and mom are with us! So I get to wake up with a sweet baby's cry, and it is a blessing, because baby is special needs. She is alive!!

After that, I get in trouble if I don't have a fresh pot of Folger's going for my 94 yr old mom, who now lives with us too! And that is a blessing, also, because we almost lost her from a heart attack in December. She's weak, but by golly, she has her mind and loves to talk politics.

My disabled brother? Yeah, he's here, too, but not much trouble.

I especially like to be able to work in my garden , but it's tough right now to even go out there. Yesterday was 116 !! But when the fall arrives it will be like paradise for eight months.

All in all, I think the best part of my entire week comes on Sunday night, when I don't have to rush around getting prepared to go to work for another week ! I feel very blessed to be able to be part of an extended family, both forward and backward.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:04 PM

18,828 posts, read 4,941,180 times
Get up early, let the peke out, let him back in....then pick him up and crawl back into bed....aaahh.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:52 PM

5,178 posts, read 3,896,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
BH and I are just sitting here on this
Beeyootiful summer day and

He says I just can't wait for the mail to arrive is it here yet.
I guess that's the highlight of his day.
What's yours?
I enjoy talk radio and arguing on City Data without the guilt of knowing I should be working. Lately I have found myself enjoying sitting next to my wife while she wastes her time on Facebook.

Yeah I know. I have no life.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:56 PM

5,178 posts, read 3,896,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's also a disparaging term for a black person, but the full word is really "j*gaboo".
I was recently censored for trying to say gobbledygook. My mistake was splitting it into two words.

Dancing a *** ...

Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,058,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I was recently censored for trying to say gobbledygook. My mistake was splitting it into two words.
I typed it in and previewed the post and it bleeped for me too. Off to urban dictionary to find out why, so much fun!

Old 07-28-2014, 04:54 AM

2,734 posts, read 721,741 times
My morning highlight is exercise----mostly going to the gym, occasionally walking. This makes me smile to type this since I never thought I'd be saying that. I always enjoyed walking, but never ever in a million years did I think I would join a gym and attend classes. I was always the least athletic/physically fit kid, the one chosen last for teams in PE and on the playground. But now I love being active. I do water aerobics, kickboxing, step, weights, Zumba, and lots of yoga.

The afternoon highlight is cooking, both lunch and dinner. I've always enjoyed cooking and did so even when working, but not to this extent. With what I've learned about food and health and all the fantastic blogs online where untrained but very talented cooks share their creations, I am now cooking virtually everything from scratch and love the results, as well as being in the moment as I cook.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:17 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Oh boy, where do I start? Oh yes, retirement, that's right. The highlight of my day?

First of all, my early retirement got a slight push by the new Federal budget last October, so I haven't been doing this very long. Right now, the highlights of my day consist of finally being a grandma after 37 yrs of marriage and surprise the baby and mom are with us! So I get to wake up with a sweet baby's cry, and it is a blessing, because baby is special needs. She is alive!!

After that, I get in trouble if I don't have a fresh pot of Folger's going for my 94 yr old mom, who now lives with us too! And that is a blessing, also, because we almost lost her from a heart attack in December. She's weak, but by golly, she has her mind and loves to talk politics.

My disabled brother? Yeah, he's here, too, but not much trouble.

I especially like to be able to work in my garden , but it's tough right now to even go out there. Yesterday was 116 !! But when the fall arrives it will be like paradise for eight months.

All in all, I think the best part of my entire week comes on Sunday night, when I don't have to rush around getting prepared to go to work for another week ! I feel very blessed to be able to be part of an extended family, both forward and backward.

Nice post, Hollyhock. The ideal in retirement seems to be to get rid of family responsibility, but it sounds like you've incorporated your loved ones into your family and though I'm sure it's challenging at times, you seem to be taking it in stride. And congrats on becoming a grandma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or