U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:54 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,379,886 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it is still true, but heard once that lots of folks stick with Starbucks because of the GREAT benefits, (health insurance being the #1 reason).....things may have changed, but if you are looking for reasonable health care and not so much pay, check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 06:56 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,379,886 times
Best Part-Time Jobs with Benefits for 2014 - Updated for Obamacare

Old 07-27-2014, 07:14 AM

674 posts, read 838,917 times
Paka, Great list that I will save. I knew about Starbucks as one of my kids worked there while in school. I tease them that they'll have to give me a training class in all those drinks before I would dare apply. Just the names confuse me! But she really liked the job and I benefitted greatly from those weekly free lbs of coffee!

Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 AM
mlb

3,181 posts, read 2,856,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Don't rule out California. You can retire pretty cheaply there if you live about 35 miles south of LA in a senior trailer park. My brother in law has been living in a senior trailer park in the Santa Ana area for about ten years. You can buy a trailer for about $20K, or a nicer modular home for about $30K to $40K. Since the home value is so low the property taxes are zero or next to zero. The main housing cost is $800 a month, which includes water and garbage.
My inlaws did that in Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley - for a couple of years. Their trailer/mobile home cost them $50K. Rent for the land and utilities was $600 a month.

Quote:
We have been living off a fraction of our income for a couple decades. We then have a pretty good feel for the amount of money it takes. Our retirement income stream will be several times what we have been living off of for a couple decades. We live well below our means, saving a lot of money.
You are me/us. 5 more years.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:47 AM

1,974 posts, read 2,722,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

We all agree on ONE critical point. Before you can answer that question, you have to know what you are spending each month for at least a year. I am NOT talking about what you charged to Visa/MC. not what you THINK that you spent, but an actual accounting of what went out the door. The most experienced CPA/CFP in the room sad that 75% of his clients could not give him accurate numbers at first (And I will admit that my "guestimate" of annual household expenses was off by $8-10k for my first year of retirement.).

Second, what expenses will you need to cover in retirement that was covered by work? The obvious is medical/dental/ vision insurance.
A great 2 cents worth.

But you startled me: For the last 25 years of my working life, I kept a monthly budget AND an annual budget (and they had to jell). I did it on paper and, then, when I learned Excel, I started doing in on that. I've been retired for 8 years, and I STILL do a monthly and annual budget, that must correlate. You're saying that 3 out of 4 people/couples do not do that?? 'That does not compute'. How can people not keep track of where their money is going?? Oh, and not only that -- I have a projected budget, with 5% inflation, every year for the next 10 years! LOL (So easy to do on Excel.) Now -- I admit -- that is probably going a little overboard! LOL But it gives me a sense of security (perhaps a false sense of security). I even have a category for money to just give away every month. I know where every penny is going. Omg, I can't even imagine not doing a budget (and sticking to it, all things being equal).

Old 07-27-2014, 08:37 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,507,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
A great 2 cents worth.

But you startled me: For the last 25 years of my working life, I kept a monthly budget AND an annual budget (and they had to jell). I did it on paper and, then, when I learned Excel, I started doing in on that. I've been retired for 8 years, and I STILL do a monthly and annual budget, that must correlate. You're saying that 3 out of 4 people/couples do not do that?? 'That does not compute'. How can people not keep track of where their money is going?? Oh, and not only that -- I have a projected budget, with 5% inflation, every year for the next 10 years! LOL (So easy to do on Excel.) Now -- I admit -- that is probably going a little overboard! LOL But it gives me a sense of security (perhaps a false sense of security). I even have a category for money to just give away every month. I know where every penny is going. Omg, I can't even imagine not doing a budget (and sticking to it, all things being equal).
I keep a budget as well.
But I gave up the detailed spreadsheet method because I kept forgetting to be diligent enough.
So I switched over to using my CC for everything with a few exceptions that I can track.
That made budgeting so much easier for me. My CC statement contains about 99% of my monthly spending.

So my spreadsheet just has the CC amount and my cash "allowance".

Old 07-27-2014, 08:47 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
A great 2 cents worth.

From 1988-2013, I never kept a household budget. My wife and I have simple tastes, live frugally, and had two decent salaries. We had a good portion of our salaries placed into 401(k), stock purchase accounts, savings bond accounts and the like so we never saw the money. We never ran a deficit, so no problems. Besides, budgets did not work for us. We are competitive by nature and we would defer things to beat the budget, things like medical appointments, car repairs, etc. Budgets led to more arguments than not making a budget.

I admire you if you made one. My SIL does one. Of course, if you asked me to pull her 1996 federal tax return and look for support for charitable contributions, she will have it. In addition, she can tell you how much it cost to replace the gutters 20 years ago. She is THAT organized. I am not.

I still assert that most people do not make a budget or know where the money is going. I can tell you that it probably is responsible for 30% of the divorces in this country. It creates a lot of marital stress.

In the old days, pre credit cards, it was a lot easier to keep a budget as you stopped spending when the money ran out. Not these days.

A few years ago, a buddy of mine pulled me aside and asked me for advice. The guy had grossed $200k as a tradesman in one year. In all fairness, the guy was working 70 hours a week and mega-overtime. he told me that he did NOT save anything that year. WOW. We went through the numbers of what he spent. The rent, car payments, etc. were average for someone his age. He could not account for about $60k of his spending. I kept popping questions until I hit the right one. "What do you do for entertainment?" This guy was dropping hundreds a night at the local strip clubs. That was the problem.

By the way, for the last 15 years, I managed the budgets of large manufacturing companies.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:14 AM

674 posts, read 838,917 times
After finding this site a year ago I started doing an excel spreadsheet budget. Really helped a lot. Especially now. Highly recommend it to everyone to really see where your money is going. For me there really weren't any big surprises. Just disappointments!! Hate to see how much somethings cost!

Old 07-27-2014, 09:21 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,507,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
After finding this site a year ago I started doing an excel spreadsheet budget. Really helped a lot. Especially now. Highly recommend it to everyone to really see where your money is going. For me there really weren't any big surprises. Just disappointments!! Hate to see how much somethings cost!
There's "wants" vs "needs" and "wants" for some are "needs" for others.

I gave up cable TV about 10 years ago and use the internet instead.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:48 AM

5,392 posts, read 6,535,307 times
I kept my budget on a spreadsheet for probably 2/3 years before I retired. The year before I retired I lived under my projected post retirement budget. Just to try it out.

To my aggravation, upon retirement so many maintenance issues have hit with my house (e.g. water pipes bursting which ruined the walls and floors) so I have been unable to go with my budget plan.

Good news is that I have savings for such things so I am able to cover the unexpected so far (thank you Lord). But my personality gets irritated that I am unable to live according to my plan. I really had wanted to live a structured by the book retirement. Ha!

So when you are thinking Can I retire, my suggestion would be to build a war chest for all the things that go bump in the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement