U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:09 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,507,006 times

Advertisements

I got stuck in one many years ago in Hollywood, FL. A bus entered and blocked me and I went around that darn circle 2x.
I laughed about it and thought of Chevy Chase European Vacation..they were stuck in that roundabout for hours !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 05:15 PM

18,857 posts, read 13,611,388 times
They are great and much better than 4 way stops. They need to expand the use of them and possibly make people retest to renew their license

Old 07-28-2014, 05:16 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,525,009 times
I'm in my late 50's but don't have the best reflexes. I yield before going into the roundabout but then if I hesitate just a second or so to make sure it is my turn, the other vehicles take off and I "lose my turn in line." Then the guy behind me gets upset. It is much more difficult than a four way stop. Usually these vehicles are large SUVs going fast so it is intimidating. We have very few roundabouts in New Mexico so most of my experience has been visiting relatives in Oregon. I'm okay at the double lane roundabouts although sometimes I have to go around in a circle first before I figure out where I want to exit. Actually we have a roundabout in my neighborhood but it has stop signs instead of yield signs so defeats the purpose of a roundabout. Also I live in a neighborhood with lots of elderly people. So my visiting relatives tease me that it is an "Albuquerque" roundabout.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:34 PM

25,027 posts, read 23,916,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Too bad there aren't any decent driving schools offering serious driving courses for old people whose reflexes and leg strength are diminished. Such a school could address changes in traffic engineering also. 55 Alive is a joke to those of us trained in law enforcement driving. I'd like a Bondurant driving school bad-butt version of 55 alive. Wouldn't that be a great vacation and a lot of fun!
That would be a lot of fun! My son drives me into snowy fields to do donuts and drifts through intersections if there's no one around, but I never get do that. I really don't know how.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:37 PM

25,027 posts, read 23,916,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I'm 70 and have no problem with roundabouts or any kind of traffic situation. If your a good driver it doesn't matter how old you are.Bad driver come in all age groups.
We have here in the Sand Hills of NC, IMO the best type of roundabout. There are two lanes coming up to the circle the right lane is for exiting at the next exit, the left lane is for entering the circle. All cars coming into the circle in the left lane have to yield to those cars already in the circle. You wait until there is a break in traffic and then you enter and you can ride around all day if you feel like it.
It works great unless you get in the wrong lane, which those not paying attention often do.
Sure, roundabouts are pretty orderly. Those NJ traffic circles can be a free-for-all.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:43 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,579,794 times
I've driven in rotaries my entire life. No problem
Though I can see how someone unfamiliar can have trouble.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times
Circles of death...yup, they do seem dangerous for all drivers of any age. Horrible if you are a pedestrian. Slow if you are an emergency vehicle. On the other hand it seems to me that almost no one understands or shows any understanding who has the right of way at a standard intersection.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:59 PM

8,399 posts, read 9,143,473 times
It's not about being a senior. It's about not living in Europe. Let's put some French or British drivers on the Freeways of LA! Roundabouts are child's play.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Ghods, I struggled with them when I was in my 30's and driving in Europe.
LOL ~ when we were in Tuscany, one day we were out in the middle of absolutely nowhere, no other streets, no buildings, nothing....and we encountered an isolated roundabout. We about died laughing going around it. Must have been something the gov't cooked up to provide work.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
I blew out a tire last year when my right rear wheel scraped the lip on a roundabout. (We call them rotaries.) The lip is stupidly the same color as the road, and at night it's near impossible to distinguish them. The day this happened it was almost 100 degrees and I had two dogs and groceries in the car. I pulled into a market and fortunately two truckers on break got the donut on my tire rim so I could hobble home. I felt like suing the town I was so mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or