U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:23 AM

527 posts, read 1,090,204 times

Advertisements

It is amazing to watch traffic flow thru a circle during rush hour
Every one knows where they have to be and when.
Flows so smooth

then on Sat/Sun, you get the newbies and chaos happens.
heads rubber necking, "Where do I go?"
like in a parade and one guy goes left instead of right and the whole line collapses

Yes, in NJ, we have circles with 3 lanes going around
You have to know where to be and when to be there or around you go again, or get spit out in the wrong direction
and watch the incoming traffic

NJ has had them forever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 11:26 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,579,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
ok-and who has the right of way when exiting? If you're in the left lane and want to exit and someone else is in the right lane and wants to keep going, seems like an accident in the making.
You have to think ahead and prepare

Old 07-29-2014, 11:41 AM

6,064 posts, read 9,527,749 times
Everyone struggles with roundabouts when they first encounter them. It has nothing to do with age - it's about unfamiliarlity with the traffic pattern that roundabouts produce.

I've driven the Christmas Circle (in Borrego Springs which is a small desert town) roundabout a few times. It doesn't typically have heavy traffic, so it's a good place to practice. I'd still be daunted if I encountered a roundabout with heavy traffic. I've been several times to Europe and seen them in action. Not only are the superior to 4-way stops, they should also be used to stem the flagrant growth of stoplights at every other intersection!

Old 07-29-2014, 11:46 AM

10,460 posts, read 5,926,819 times
There are 2 on the major route we take, well, everywhere at crossings of 2 pretty well traveled roads. I thank the county planners every time I use them. By far more efficient than a 4 way stop which would no doubt result in a 2 car wait. It's funny, when there is a problem it's obvious that the person is not from the area. All the locals know how they work and they work very very well.

The trick is to pay attention to the flow. If you are sitting at the circle waiting to get in and a new car shows up to your left, even if you have been there longer he ducks in behind the flow in the circle and you go in behind him assuming there is a break. It's really very very simple.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:43 PM

5,911 posts, read 6,714,947 times
They are a fine way of keeping things moving....

Unfortunately, instead of getting in there and circling at speed until your exit, people more often than not slow down, then stop, and chaos ensues.

Most drivers just aren't ready for a moving exit IMHO.

Now, about those Jersey jug handles......

Old 07-29-2014, 03:07 PM

179 posts, read 199,947 times
They are becoming common in Eastern Iowa now. Seems like the smaller/more compact they are, the more dangerous. When they are a little bigger, you have time, as an entering vehicle to assess what's coming around, or even into the rounabout to your left. When they are too small there's a lot happening rapidly. They do move traffic through though, that's pretty indisputable.

As for the "without signs" part, ours have a ton of signs - too many signs, if they just had a "Yield to traffic in the circle" that would be enough. I think they are here to stay , especially when they figure you how to pour them with a paving machine. They're pretty expensive to build right now as they have to be formed and hand poured/skreeded and trowelled. I think snow plow drivers aren't crazy about them either.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:19 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,704,474 times
If the article is true then I could see some bad things with seniors going over and riding the 'bouts especially in the UK and Ireland. A double whammy there with the roundabout itself and then the driving on the left. I drove in Eire and England and I had to get used to it!

Old 07-29-2014, 05:01 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,321,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
We have had them in MA forever and they are fine AS LONG AS EVERYONE REMEMBERS THE PERSON IN THE ROTARY/ROUNDABOUT HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY.

Nothing hard about it at all.
So true! No mystery to them. In Raleigh, NC we have them. I grew up using them in England but dread them here as drivers don't know what to do with them. They cut you off by racing to get in front of you when you are in the circle while at the same time another driver races to get into the circle and tailgate you. They also stop at the feeder roads for no reason. there can be no car in the circle and they stop and wait. It's horrible!

Old 07-29-2014, 05:10 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,056,653 times
Grew up with 'rotaries' in Massachusetts but still don't like them. Husband loves them. I live in a vacation spot where a lot of people entering a rotary have never seen one before, no experience and... what a mess!

Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,014,767 times
Default Look at Europe: this idea isn't so new

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Roundabouts are circular causeways that allow traffic to flow in a four-way intersection without stop lights or signs. This new way of managing traffic is meant to save lives, but they have some older driver's heads' spinning.

AARP runs a program that helps older drivers learn how to better navigate traffic in their golden years. They asked 200 of their volunteer driving instructors which traffic situations were considered the most challenging for their students.

Seniors struggle with roundabouts | Fox News
While I detest roundabouts it saves major time, and seems to be a trend for some strange reason. In Kelowna, BC at 4 p.m. there are two routes going up to the airport and then north out of town. The one with the roundabouts saves fifteen minutes.

Traffic design: the safe, UNINTERRUPTED flow. That's it.

Anticipating other drivers behaviour when our valley, the Okanagan, has so many students, newlyweds and nearly deads driving is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or