U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 PM

14 posts, read 11,912 times

Advertisements

Heck, I struggle with roundabouts, but I'm getting better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 07:29 PM

307 posts, read 472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't have a problem with the roundabouts but I do think they are gas wasters where I live. Most of the ones we have are on a road with a 45 MPH limit so you get up to speed and then have to slow way down to get through, then speed up again. That's rough on a car and mileage, I would think. The first one they ever put in here got run into, head on, by some lady who wasn't paying attention. Hard to believe, but true! They are also bad for 18 wheeler trucks who HAVE to use that road here. I think most of the black marks on the curbs are from 18 wheelers. My brother drives one and he hates those roundabouts.

If they were the traditional four-way stop...or just with stop sign...wouldn't you have to stop anyway...and start again? It wouldn't matter how fast the road speed is...you still have to stop...or at least yield..and then go. Wouldn't that also be rough on a car and mileage as well? I agree about 18 wheelers going on those roundabouts. Doesn't even have to be an 18-wheeler. I'd be a nervous wreck driving a 26 footer U-Haul truck on those roundabouts. But they're here to stay...so we might as well accept them...and drive more carefully around them.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:04 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,247,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
They are installing them fast and furious here in my small Florida city. I personally LOVE them - even if confusing to some they are far superior to the stops and traffic pattern they replaced. Plus, they are so much more esthetically pleasing - they did them in brickwork and landscaped nicely. I am all for them!
The aesthetically pleasing pavers my county tried to impress citizens with were 1/2" faux brick facings which tore up within 5 years and are now potholes. I wish it had been a rotary but happens to be one of the busiest intersections in the area and only the most intricate of traffic light systems could calm the traffic.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:30 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,311,688 times
New? I hated these things when I lived in Europe. What makes them a disaster here is that no one knows how to drive in them.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,058,272 times
Have extensive experience with 'em and love 'em.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:54 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,956,584 times
As with so many articles today....it must have been a slow news day. Right up with happiest place to retire or what retirement state has the highest percentages of golf cart accidents

Lived with these in New England......and now here in the south I am seeing them more. A lot of people do not yield to those in the circle (single lane roundabouts) and they shoot through like a pinball through a chute.

We have a fairly busy one and they put a pedestrian cross walk coming right at one of the off shoots, lots of fender benders there.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:04 AM

56,018 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
It is amazing to watch traffic flow thru a circle during rush hour
Every one knows where they have to be and when.
Flows so smooth

then on Sat/Sun, you get the newbies and chaos happens.
heads rubber necking, "Where do I go?"
like in a parade and one guy goes left instead of right and the whole line collapses

Yes, in NJ, we have circles with 3 lanes going around
You have to know where to be and when to be there or around you go again, or get spit out in the wrong direction
and watch the incoming traffic

NJ has had them forever
Jersey here, too. Yes, nothing new about traffic circles.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:05 AM

8,872 posts, read 13,545,637 times
It's been demonstrated that one of the most dangerous aspects of seniors driving is that so many have a limited ability to turn their heads with ease due to neck problems. Any driving situation in which they are required to watch things outside the range of straight-ahead vision challenges them. The most common cause of accidents in elders is the side collision. They simply don't see another car encroaching on their space at the sides of their car.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 AM

10,322 posts, read 9,372,412 times
Drivers of all ages have difficulty with roundabouts. I dislike them mainly because those entering a roundabout truly believe they always have the right-of-way and are the main cause of the many accidents that occur in roundabouts.

I much prefer 4-way stops v. roundabouts.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:37 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,578,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Drivers of all ages have difficulty with roundabouts. I dislike them mainly because those entering a roundabout truly believe they always have the right-of-way and are the main cause of the many accidents that occur in roundabouts.

I much prefer 4-way stops v. roundabouts.
At four way stops there is sometimes the the entitled driver who needs to go first.
Also the ones who go straight through the stop sign, an everyday occurance here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or