U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 08:29 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,848,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
LOL - I know, right? Five hours, that is ridiculous for anyone who loves the shore! I love that I am in a Florida coastal city, and can be at the beach in 15 minutes! And one of the most beautiful beaches in the country at that! I don't even have to pay to park! I love living here......

Well I agree you the ocean would be ideal . Still in my house we need to compromise . Giving up access to the ocean will undoubtably give me a compromise to something else like a location very close to a very nice golf course .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 09:03 AM

756 posts, read 884,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
LOL - I know, right? Five hours, that is ridiculous for anyone who loves the shore! I love that I am in a Florida coastal city, and can be at the beach in 15 minutes! And one of the most beautiful beaches in the country at that! I don't even have to pay to park! I love living here......
It sounds wonderful, Gypsychic--what part of Florida are you in?

For us there doesn't seem to be ONE place that will work. I really really want to be near the beach, but where can we buy that winter temps are warm (HOT!) enough for me, that is actually affordable (say, under $400k for a single family home)? This is how we came to the decision to buy in AZ as our first step--we have a few years to go before we'll be retired. Priority one is the sun on my skin . It's sunny in Montana, and oh-so-beautiful, but when I say "sun on my skin" I mean HEAT!! lol As someone said on the Phoenix forum, I think I'm part lizard.

We plan to keep our place in AZ--there just isn't anyplace else we've found that has the winter temps I'm really looking for, and I prefer the dry air. I do love the desert, but not the way I love the beach!! Ridiculous as it might sound to someone minutes from the ocean, being 5 hours (or less if I brave a road trip into Mexico) from the beach is a whole lot closer than I am here in MT. I know people in Phoenix who visit the beach in San Diego as often as people who live within a few miles of those beaches!

Still, my dream has always been a place at the beach, and we are working on that final piece of the puzzle. We'd like to find a property that would work both as a rental and a "home" where we could spend at least a few weeks at the beach every year.

Gypsychic, is there somewhere in Florida we should be looking? Currently we have been focused on North Carolina as one of the few remaining places we might be able to afford a small place within a block or two of the beach. I don't have to be THAT close, but it does need to be within a half mile I think. We were under the impression that we probably couldn't afford Florida nor the Alabama gulf coast, but we hadn't ruled them out completely. It's just difficult to even start looking when you don't know the area, there is so much coastline. We might even consider a condo in the right location. Are there still locations in Florida close to nice beaches where we could find a lovely little beach shack to grow old in?

Old 08-05-2014, 09:45 AM

I have to chuckle a little at the way life turns out. My post above tells you we've bought a retirement home in Arizona, and still hoping to find a spot in Florida (maybe).

This from the once-young couple who would turn up their noses and say, "We'd never retire to Arizona or Florida; that's what everybody does. So cliche!" lol

Turns out there's a reason so many are attracted to these places, and we're among them. There's the drive to be different, to break new ground, and I still read with GREAT interest all the posts of folks who chose interesting, original spots for retirement. And then I go research all the alternatives. But it turns out we're just one couple among the masses who want the same things as the "typical" retirees

Old 08-05-2014, 02:42 PM

3,346 posts, read 3,049,864 times
Quote:

We plan to keep our place in AZ--there just isn't anyplace else we've found
that has the winter temps I'm really looking for, and I prefer the dry air. I
do love the desert, but not the way I love the beach!! Ridiculous as it might
sound to someone minutes from the ocean, being 5 hours (or less if I brave a
road trip into Mexico) from the beach is a whole lot closer than I am here in
MT. I know people in Phoenix who visit the beach in San Diego as often as
people who live within a few miles of those beaches!
Ah for those days when Southwest started out and regularly had $19 one-way tickets between Phoenix and LA. I know lots of folks who would fly to LA for dinner and back.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:54 AM

778 posts, read 1,460,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
Still, my dream has always been a place at the beach, and we are working on that final piece of the puzzle. We'd like to find a property that would work both as a rental and a "home" where we could spend at least a few weeks at the beach every year.

Gypsychic, is there somewhere in Florida we should be looking? Currently we have been focused on North Carolina as one of the few remaining places we might be able to afford a small place within a block or two of the beach. I don't have to be THAT close, but it does need to be within a half mile I think. We were under the impression that we probably couldn't afford Florida nor the Alabama gulf coast, but we hadn't ruled them out completely. It's just difficult to even start looking when you don't know the area, there is so much coastline. We might even consider a condo in the right location. Are there still locations in Florida close to nice beaches where we could find a lovely little beach shack to grow old in?
Also check Clearwater and points north. Like Sarasota prices have shot up there already. Still incredible deals in west Pasco County like Holiday, FL close to two airports and the gulf beaches.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:40 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Quote:

This from the once-young couple who would turn up their noses and say, "We'd never retire to Arizona or Florida; that's what everybody does. So cliche!" lol

Turns out there's a reason so many are attracted to these places, and we're among them. There's the drive to be different, to break new ground, and I still read with GREAT interest all the posts of folks who chose interesting, original spots for retirement. And then I go research all the alternatives. But it turns out we're just one couple among the masses who want the same things as the "typical" retirees

I always said that I would never live in Arizona ... until I moved there.

I found that there were so many compelling arguments for moving there. And I am enjoying the summer months as well as the winter months.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:14 AM

310 posts, read 364,645 times
I moved to AZ (Phoenix area) from CA. I love the weather and the clear days. I moved to a country club development called Encanterra. It has 3 pools, 4 restaurants, golf, tennis, fitness center etc. It's like living in Paradise! I originally moved here for a consulting assignment and realized I didn't want to move back!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:21 AM

15,388 posts, read 12,138,366 times
I decided not to buy close to any beach...I'm a scaredy cat about
Hurricanes.
Renting 10 miles inland in the Winter is for me.
Tx is fine for me, close to CO.

Lived on FL many years...miss it...but not the bugs.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:46 PM

I've done some more research. We can afford a condo in most FL locations, but I am very much partial to a single family home. Looks like maybe the Cocoa Beach area would have some cute places under $300k within a few blocks of the beach, but I have only ever passed through the area. Other than that, it looks like Port St. Joe, Mexico Beach, or Panama City Beach for anything very close to the water. I know virtually nothing about those areas.

The big difference we see between coastal NC & coastal FLA is that the places we have looked at in NC are compliant for flood insurance, so it would be high but not sky-high. The places in Florida are single level, ground level. So we're looking at the newly escalating flood insurance, I assume, PLUS the hurricane/storm insurance.

Anyone who lives in Florida near the beach willing to share their actual insurance costs for a small (under 2000 sf) home?

Bugs, humidity, extra costs--not sure it's worth trying to own in Florida (or NC for that matter) rather than just visiting the beach every year. That idea of "home on the beach" might just be a fantasy.

We're very happy with Phoenix, so if it doesn't pan out we'll be fine and we have plenty of time (RE market rising notwithstanding) to decide. I do feel some pressure to make a purchase in one of the few remaining affordable beachside areas, though....

Last edited by Montanama; 08-14-2014 at 01:28 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 01:35 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,952,863 times
Quote:
I've done some more research. We can afford a condo in most FL locations, but I am very much partial to a single family home. Looks like maybe the Cocoa Beach area would have some cute places under $300k within a few blocks of the beach, but I have only ever passed through the area. Other than that, it looks like Port St. Joe, Mexico Beach, or Panama City Beach for anything very close to the water. I know virtually nothing about those areas.

The big difference we see between coastal NC & coastal FLA is that the places we have looked at in NC are compliant for flood insurance, so it would be high but not sky-high. The places in Florida are single level, ground level. So we're looking at the newly escalating flood insurance, I assume, PLUS the hurricane/storm insurance.

Anyone who lives in Florida near the beach willing to share their actual insurance costs for a small (under 2000 sf) home?

Bugs, humidity, extra costs--not sure it's worth trying to own in Florida (or NC for that matter) rather than just visiting the beach every year. That idea of "home on the beach" might just be a fantasy.

We're very happy with Phoenix, so if it doesn't pan out we'll be fine and we have plenty of time (RE market rising notwithstanding) to decide. I do feel some pressure to make a purchase in one of the few remaining affordable beachside areas, though....
I live 12 miles inland from the ocean (Biscayne Bay) in south Florida. I have a home built in 1956, 1345 sq. ft. My homeowners' insurance (including windstorm) is $4500.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement