U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-02-2014, 11:57 PM
 
14,262 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Reputation: 20084

Advertisements

[quote=Clark Park;36342325]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post

What's a car tax? I never heard of that. Do you mean the sales tax when you purchase a new or used car?
In many states including VA, AZ, GA, and MO, you pay a personal property tax or an ad valorem tax on the value of your car, generally at the time of registration or renewal each year.

That is in addition to any sales tax at purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2014, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,687 posts, read 49,469,539 times
Reputation: 19134
[quote=Clark Park;36342325]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post

What's a car tax? I never heard of that. Do you mean the sales tax when you purchase a new or used car?
I have lived in places where it was called 'road tax', or 'excise tax', or 'registration tax'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 11:54 AM
 
9,204 posts, read 9,280,929 times
Reputation: 28851
I am surprised at the way this discussion has devolved largely into a discussion about taxes that various states impose.

My state has an income tax, sales tax, and property tax. I guess I'm just used to paying them. I will choose Utah over most places I've found in this country. What is more important to me is the beautiful scenery, the four distinct seasons, the ability to access five national parks in our state and at least two outside the state (within one day's drive), the comparatively low population, and the low violent crime rate.

You could cut taxes to zero in some places in this country and I still wouldn't move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 03:14 PM
 
134 posts, read 54,677 times
Reputation: 217
Have been living in MD for 35+ years and about to retire. We recently purchased a condo in Fountain Hills AZ where we plan to be snowbirders. In order to meet our desire to be near family in MD and close to the beach, we are looking at Delaware for a place to live the rest of the time. Delaware has a lower property tax than MD and no sales tax. The cost for a home is much lower than in MD.

Last edited by Nelliebell; 09-03-2014 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,507 posts, read 14,335,765 times
Reputation: 23366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
My requirements include street fairs and festivals, film festivals, parades, excellent fireworks displays, professional live theater of Broadway caliber, classical ballet and modern dance, a first rate symphony, an excellent opera company, world class art galleries and museums, history and science museums, botanical gardens and arboretums, jazz clubs, piano bars, Kosher delicatessens, ethnic restaurants by the score, etc etc etc.

Pretty scenery? Fresh air? Trout fishing? Hiking? I could jump in my car and get that an hour's drive from here.
Aye, but the reverse of that is true for those of us who prefer to live more rural or small town, we just jump in our cars to get a dose of the big city stuff, lol.
A part of my decision was based on no longer being willing to deal with crowds, long lines, and heavy traffic on a daily basis.
Being the procrastinator that I am I often get my car tags renewed on the last day of the month, here it was a fifteen minute wait in a line of maybe ten people, a wonderful change from the city where it was a take a number, have a seat and wait for hours with over a hundred other people. I know that might seem like such a silly little thing to be excited about but to me it typifies one of the important aspects of the lifestyle I want in retirement, I want things to be simple and easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 03:47 PM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Aye, but the reverse of that is true for those of us who prefer to live more rural or small town, we just jump in our cars to get a dose of the big city stuff, lol.
A part of my decision was based on no longer being willing to deal with crowds, long lines, and heavy traffic on a daily basis.
Being the procrastinator that I am I often get my car tags renewed on the last day of the month, here it was a fifteen minute wait in a line of maybe ten people, a wonderful change from the city where it was a take a number, have a seat and wait for hours with over a hundred other people. I know that might seem like such a silly little thing to be excited about but to me it typifies one of the important aspects of the lifestyle I want in retirement, I want things to be simple and easy.
I agree. I've been living in south Florida for 40+ years and am tired of the heat and lack of 4 seasons. When I retire, I will be moving to a temperate climate, smaller town, lower housing costs, lower col overall. I also want to live where the majority of people can speak English. The county I live in, well I am in the 15% minority. It has changed so much, especially in the last 20 years. I guess the main reason I have lived here for so long was my good job, but I am no longer my happy self in this area and plan to make changes very soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Status: "Support the Mining Law of 1872" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,583 posts, read 10,933,686 times
Reputation: 19225
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I agree. I've been living in south Florida for 40+ years and am tired of the heat and lack of 4 seasons. When I retire, I will be moving to a temperate climate, smaller town, lower housing costs, lower col overall. I also want to live where the majority of people can speak English. The county I live in, well I am in the 15% minority. It has changed so much, especially in the last 20 years. I guess the main reason I have lived here for so long was my good job, but I am no longer my happy self in this area and plan to make changes very soon


Your best choices are the interior PNW and upper Plains states and the upper Midwest, upper New England. West Virginia, and NW Arkansas. Lot of uppers , but it's not accidental.

Your desires to live in a place where the majority speak English and where you won't be a member of a minority are very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,890 posts, read 25,335,938 times
Reputation: 26388
After spending 15 years in MN, I can understand why the OP wants to leave. Not only is the weather abysmal, the taxes are bad too! I have no regrets about moving to Las Vegas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Buckeye
601 posts, read 716,308 times
Reputation: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
After spending 15 years in MN, I can understand why the OP wants to leave. Not only is the weather abysmal, the taxes are bad too! I have no regrets about moving to Las Vegas!
Amen fellow Minnesotan. This state is one of the few in the country that taxes Social Security retirement benefits as regular income tax. And voters here elect the likes of Jesse Ventura, Al Franken, a 9 year old boy (mayor of a town) , and a dog (mayor of another town). Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Reputation: 32309
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I am surprised at the way this discussion has devolved largely into a discussion about taxes that various states impose.

You could cut taxes to zero in some places in this country and I still wouldn't move there.
Agreed. Some people obsess about taxes, and I suppose if I had a lot of money I might be among them. The less we have, the less it matters. My property taxes for a year were $2850 the last time I paid them. My total state income tax liability for 2013 was $3,500, down from $6,250 in 2007 (gradually cut out part time work over the years and also increased charitable giving). As for sales taxes, I have never tried to estimate what I pay. The rate in Calif. is fairly high (just over 8% in Los Angeles County), but groceries are exempt and I am not a big spender on clothing and the like. So even in an admittedly high tax state like California, we can see from my example that modest income = modest taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top