U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 10:46 PM

1,185 posts, read 766,419 times

Advertisements

i also chose utah for the scenery, outdoor activities and other reasons mentioned above. i paid income, sales and property taxes in MN and i'll pay them here so no big deal although property taxes will be quite a bit lower. i'll have milder winters, less humid summers, longer summers, and generally better weather.......and some sunshine! i also moved out of a major metro area to a much smaller city with a rural feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 05:54 PM

227 posts, read 165,731 times
[quote=MG120;36340548]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
SC is lower in income but has a higher sales tax.QUOTE]

SC income tax is 7 percent. What kills me is the stupid car tax. I pay more for my car taxes on 2 cars than I do on my house. They are going to get it one way or another.
This. Every year I see red. Paying these taxes even on older vehicles plus our RV is almost criminal. We applied for the high mileage discount on our 06 Yukon last year. It dropped it from $306 to $292. One of the reasons we can't wait to move out of SC. I don't how other people pay for the more expensive cars and motor homes. Our RV which is just a trailer is still over $500. Taxes are definitely a factor in deciding where we retire.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:54 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,775,806 times
Default 7 percent - income tax or sales tax?

[quote=MG120;36340548]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
SC is lower in income but has a higher sales tax.QUOTE]

SC income tax is 7 percent. What kills me is the stupid car tax. I pay more for my car taxes on 2 cars than I do on my house. They are going to get it one way or another.
[quote=kodiakbearcountry;36367770]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post

This. Every year I see red. Paying these taxes even on older vehicles plus our RV is almost criminal. We applied for the high mileage discount on our 06 Yukon last year. It dropped it from $306 to $292. One of the reasons we can't wait to move out of SC. I don't how other people pay for the more expensive cars and motor homes. Our RV which is just a trailer is still over $500. Taxes are definitely a factor in deciding where we retire.
MG120, did you mean SC sales tax (rather than income tax) is 7 percent? That would make more sense to me.

Those vehicle fees really surprise me. They are higher than those in California, which is well known as a high tax state.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:03 AM

5,826 posts, read 4,868,767 times
LOVE Tennessee vehicle taxes. We pay less here for our whole fleet, 4 motorcycles and 3 cars, than I did just for my ten year old car in CA.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:24 AM

28,570 posts, read 62,371,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post

Best State for Retirement
What are your considerations?
The best state for retirement is your state of mind.
The rest, especially the physical, is a distraction.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:40 AM

29,866 posts, read 34,929,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The best state for retirement is your state of mind.
The rest, especially the physical, is a distraction.
True, but I love being distracted in Carolina especially at the beach.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:09 AM

756 posts, read 886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post
vero beach, Port St Lucie, Stuart, Jensen beach , Sebastian FL all would fit your under 400,000
Thank you, newred5. We will spend this winter investigating possibilities suggested by you and others, and likely do a few exploratory trips next spring and summer (this winter into early spring is already pretty booked, or we'd start now).

Flood/storm insurance is definitely a factor. The "sail away to the Caribbean" idea that was once just a bit of a fantasy for us has now become a sort of an actual "plan B" if we decide a beach home is not feasible. It's silly, but it eases my mind to have a backup plan that will still allow us to have a sort of a "home" with access to the beaches I love!

On this and other threads on the retirement forum, I see a lot of people looking for 4-seasons, but not really extreme climates, sunny winters, not out in the sticks (rules out most of MT, but Billings and Missoula might suit some), and seeming to prefer dry summers to humid ones. Here are my thoughts on some destinations out here in the West!

I spent the last few days near Orem, UT and surrounding communities, and it changed my view of the Salt Lake City area. Yes, it's one continuous suburban area, but you have the cultural attractions of a large metro area in easy reach, the recreational opportunities immediately available all around, and absolutely gorgeous scenery. The winters are milder than here in MT, with an earlier spring and a great zone for the gardeners (there are even vineyards in the area). The area is generally tidy and generally low crime. COL not so low, but not crazy, and a good economy. The strong LDS influence could be a plus or a minus, depending on who you are. Anyway, for those looking for a 4-seasons area that's not in the sticks but still offers natural beauty and recreational opportunities plus big-city medical facilities and airport access, it looks pretty good to me.

Farther south, we have always loved St. George & if I didn't prefer HOT weather we'd have considered it. Beautiful. As is, Phoenix has better weather for me (not for some) and easier/quicker access from our home in MT.

Boise, ID is another one to consider for those of you looking for the recreational/4 seasons climate combined with city life. Boise is a small city, but LOTS of cultural and community activities. A beautiful, friendly place with green belts for bike riding and jogging, a huge focus on their city parks, and surrounded by recreational opportunities.

Last edited by Montanama; 09-07-2014 at 10:37 AM..

Old 09-07-2014, 10:31 AM

2,930 posts, read 1,600,561 times
Have you checked out Tuscon?

Old 09-07-2014, 10:42 AM

756 posts, read 886,336 times
I like Tucson, but we chose Phoenix (actually Goodyear) for easy, quick access from MT (one of the few places we can get to quickly with the kind of weather I like) and for the access to concerts, professional sports, etc. Tucson is more unique, but I do think Phoenix is beautiful as well. As we get closer to being there in retirement (rather than just a "pre-retirement" vacation destination) we'll be open to the whole area as our stays will be longer and the quick access will be less of an issue. Tucson definitely has more of the architectural style I had envisioned for a southwestern home. For those wanting hot weather, golf, and beautiful surroundings in retirement and not interested in the activities found in a bigger city, I think Tucson is just perfect, with plenty of nice retirement communities available.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:22 PM

3,927 posts, read 4,797,162 times
We just retired to Florida. Like Texas, no income tax, no vehicle tax, low COL. Love it. Don't care to see another snow flake, another ice-crusted car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement