U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:47 AM

8,399 posts, read 9,145,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwesty View Post
Retire to where you are happy, comfortable and content. Everything else will take care of itself.
Here is wisdom. ^^^

Our perfect place is in Eastern CA. In the lower elevations of the Sierra Nevada. COL is a third of what the SF Bay Area charges. Great climate, low crime, friendly people and this meadow is an hour from our house and the ski resort is 40 minutes. Money isn't everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Best State for Retirement-1.jpg   Best State for Retirement-ski-day.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 AM

4,554 posts, read 5,472,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Couldn't do AZ, too hot and dry, not enough variety in weather, topography, scenery, plants and animals. I like the desert for a change, but not 365.
I was stranded in Phoenix for 15 years and the most beautiful sight was Phoenix in my rear view mirror. Since I was raised in Ohio I never adapted to the desert life style; yard work must done by 9:00AM, many summer nights going to the grocery store at midnight when it cools down to 100, high heat makes many drivers intensely crabby, new neighbors usually go back after their first summer, loss of family support results in many failed marriages, and of course AZ. is on the drug path north so lots of traffic and resulting crime. Too many years of drought now to even begin to feel comfortable there.

Still, there are others who like the desert, I just don't happen to be one of them.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:00 AM

15,199 posts, read 31,153,980 times
Our perfect place is right where we are - the beautiful Gulf coast of Florida. It's my home state, hubby has been here most of his life. I love the warm weather, beaches, humidity, tropical foliage and the year round gardening and outdoor activities. We have everything we want right here. So glad we don't have to move - moving is a beeyotch!

Old 07-29-2014, 09:03 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,092,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Having lived in various climates I know for sure I want no part of humidity or severe storms such as tornados, hail, blizzards.

An old friend of mine who is a sociologist once professed the idea that cultures are born from the land in which they live. His claim was people in the midwest tend to be more docile and accepting, unchanging, because they live on a land that is primarily flat (with a few hills) and unchanging. Coloradans, he exclaimed, are more likely to be aggressive in life because they survive in terrain that requires aggressive efforts to move, i.e., going up and down mountains. I don't know how much truth there is to this theory but I do know that I bore easily in the midwest. I much prefer some topographical relief such as mountains or seashore.

Hawaii. It might turn some people off because it seems touristy and exotic, but it's in the US, and it meets most of those qualifications you list. I don't know about taxes or land prices, but a libertarian friend of mine moved into a regular neighborhood. It doesn't have to be "beach" and "scenery" and "Fantasy Island."

As an aside, your sociologist friend's theory rings very true to me. It makes me want to look into that more!

Good luck, wherever your heart takes you!

Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 21 days ago)

8,696 posts, read 10,845,026 times
Arizona is a very severe climate--you like it or you don't. I get a laugh when people visit there for a few days or week in July and say the heat's not bad. A few days isn't bad at all, heck even a few weeks. But, when you multiply late May through October, unrelenting heat, maybe you get 3-4 days under 100 for months, year after year after year, it is, often times, not a tolerable climate. I used to get sick every May, every year, knowing what was coming up for 4 1/2 months. I wouldn't even take a house for free there. Tucson maybe, slower paced, a bit cooler, more monsoon. Prescott/Flagg maybe, but not Phoenix.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 AM

663 posts, read 816,653 times
You should check out New Mexico since you think AZ is the best place to retire. Both are big states, and the climate can vary within the states, but if you compare Phoenix to Albuquerque, for instance, summers are much hotter in Phoenix (the other day, it hit 114 in Phoenix, a day it hit "only" 94 in ABQ). Since one of your requirements is the availability of medical care, you must be considering the largest metro areas in AZ (Phoenix or Tucson) over some outpost, right?

I am retired and I live in Albuquerque, and I have spent a lot of time in Phoenix, and I would never choose Phoenix as a place to live (or anywhere in that metro area). Tucson? Maybe. Phoenix? Never...the traffic alone is reason enough, but the summer heat is unbearable (now winters are milder than in ABQ, but still).

Old 07-29-2014, 09:43 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,234,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Couldn't do AZ, too hot and dry, not enough variety in weather, topography, scenery, plants and animals. I like the desert for a change, but not 365.
Arizona is not all desert.
Arizona is not all Phoenix or Tucson.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:24 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,582,586 times
We have been camping in AZ for just a tad over 10 years now. I have to admit the heat can get to you come August and this summer is darn hot. We are looking at a coastal home in Oregon to escape the summer months soon. Our other concern is with the impending regulations the EPA is about to put on energy production and consumption, can we afford to camp in AZ for the rest of our lives? Depends on what the AC runs you. You can't survive AZ without one. You can always put on more clothes but there is a limit as to how much you can take off lol.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:50 AM

9,581 posts, read 10,926,696 times
When we left Colorado as political refugees twelve years ago the final two choices were Wyoming and Arizona. We chose Wyoming for demographic and political reasons. Parts of Arizona have very equitable climates with four seasons but without oppressive weather. Southeast Arizona, eastern Cochise County, has a moderate climate, not too many people, and is within a couple hours of urban conveniences. There's a fair chance of a White Christmas as well as an absense of hundred degree days.

Some years ago the nearness of the Mexican border was a positive: savings on prescriptions, liquor, food, and much else as well as a dining adventure. One of my favorite restaurants is in Juarez and specializes in seafood and game; it would be successful in France. Now, however, the border is primarily a source of illegal immigrants who are destroying the areas where they settle. That's what knocked out Arizona. We weren't looking for an alien culture.

We chose the land of fresh air, fredom, and fun. It was the right decision; I wish that we'd done it years before. Sadly, my wife would have less than three years here before her death, but she was as happy as I was.

I meet many retired people here; many are from the Deep South and love our bone dry weather. I'm a few minutes from a world tourist destination, Yellowstone. We're even starting to make the lists. Our state is not diverse. For conservative and libertarian Whites this is the best place in the country. It's the America we once knew.

10 Best States For Retirement | Bankrate.com

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog37554-wyoming.html

Old 07-29-2014, 12:17 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,743,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I was stranded in Phoenix for 15 years and the most beautiful sight was Phoenix in my rear view mirror. Since I was raised in Ohio I never adapted to the desert life style; yard work must done by 9:00AM, many summer nights going to the grocery store at midnight when it cools down to 100, high heat makes many drivers intensely crabby, new neighbors usually go back after their first summer, loss of family support results in many failed marriages, and of course AZ. is on the drug path north so lots of traffic and resulting crime. Too many years of drought now to even begin to feel comfortable there.

Still, there are others who like the desert, I just don't happen to be one of them.

"I was stranded in Phoenix for 15yrs" I love it. (not Phoenix, the statement)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement