U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:11 PM

756 posts, read 884,718 times

Advertisements

What about Puerto Rico? What's the drawback there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 06:22 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
We chose Wyoming for demographic and political reasons.

Our state is not diverse.

For conservative and libertarian Whites this is the best place in the country.

It's the America we once knew.
Shouldn't there be a white hood on that smiley face?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:05 PM

8,402 posts, read 9,152,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
What about Puerto Rico? What's the drawback there?
How is your Spanish? The place is so un-Montana or Eastern CA. But if it does it for you, then Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Shouldn't there be a white hood on that smiley face?
Where I live such is the case. No white hoods required.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:47 PM

756 posts, read 884,718 times
My Spanish is rusty, but it's in there somewhere. I do have to access it now and then in Phoenix.

un-Montana is the idea I've been chasing for 25 years! It's precisely what I'm after.

I wasn't really thinking Puerto Rico for myself, although it's probably worth a look as I do enjoy the Caribbean; I just wonder why I don't see it mentioned often here on C-D or in the MANY articles I read about retirement spots. Ecuador, for a long time Mexico (until the past several years), Panama, Belize....but you don't see Puerto Rico come up much. Since this thread is about the best "state" and PR is a US territory, just thought I'd ask--whatsamatta with PR? Expensive maybe?

I'm hoping North Carolina pans out as a summer beach home destination, but we have a few (very few) options still on the table if it doesn't.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:18 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,009,233 times
I have been to all fifty states, most a number of times. I have yet to find the "perfect" location. There are trade-offs that are made in any location.

If I remember right, my priorities in retirement were (in no particular order):

1) Low COL.
2) Available health care nearby.
3) Proximity to family (in Midwest).
4) Lower taxes.
5) Sense of community.
6) Less extreme winters.

Over the years, I had looked at TN, TX, KY, and NV. We also briefly considered Western Michigan and Cleveland for a short time.

We ended up in AZ. Yes, I know, it is not on the list. We found the right community at the right cost with enough activities to keep me happy.

To those who talk about the terrible heat south of Tucson, it has not been bad. We generally are out exercising from 5-10 am each day, take a midday siesta, eat an early dinner and spend most of the evening on the patio.

June has the most intense heat. However, July and August are not bad with the monsoon rains that come in most nights. Generally, we only run the AC from 10 am - 6 pm daily.

I spent last September visiting Tennessee. My wife had lived in Madison, TN for a couple of years and did not like the are around Nashville. I looked at the cities around Eastern TN and could not find one that met my needs. The housing that I liked was roughly twice what I paid in AZ. Oak Ridge and Cookeville were interesting, but I could not "pull the trigger."

We like visiting NV but it is not really a place I want to live. I struggle to stay fit and would balloon in LV with all of the dining options. Also, it is hard to find a good community feeling in the state. We were concerned about the health care options in Reno and Elko.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:07 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,071,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
You should check out New Mexico since you think AZ is the best place to retire.
DH & I spend several weeks a year in northern NM, and if we could just shake off the extended family ties and estate complications that tie us to north TX, we'd move there in a heartbeat. As is, we feel lucky to live within a day's drive of a great state.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:04 AM

32 posts, read 44,679 times
Default Arizona weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
GeneR your selection of AZ is interesting. The weather you are accustomed to in MN is very different in AZ. Also there is no sea shore and relatively few mountains there as well. Culture will be very different too with many people from lands south of there.

Back to climate there was a huge dust storm and that might be trouble if you are not ready for it.

Look here Video: Haboob, A Huge Dust Storm, Hits Phoenix Area : The Two-Way : NPR

If you have never lived through one it can be quite unnerving and driving is impossible.
We got caught in that dust storm. We live in California where it's 70s and 80s in the summer. We were in Phoenix for a convention. We were getting ready to leave our hotel and our cell phones were alarming in a way I didn't know existed.
It was 116 during the day and 110 at night. Then it rained at night and steam was everywhere. I felt like we were in hell.

Retire there????

Old 07-30-2014, 03:17 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,852,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardinbelle View Post
We got caught in that dust storm. We live in California where it's 70s and 80s in the summer. We were in Phoenix for a convention. We were getting ready to leave our hotel and our cell phones were alarming in a way I didn't know existed.
It was 116 during the day and 110 at night. Then it rained at night and steam was everywhere. I felt like we were in hell.

Retire there????

Never been to Phoenix but I spent a year in Iraq. Driving up to the base we were to occupy we got caught in one. Then we had one that looked just like that but angrier a few days later. It was a deep rust color as it made its way toward us. We could see it from miles away. Absolutely unnerving. I have lived through blizzards too. They are both very similar. I want to avoid both extremes. We will probably end up somewhere in the middle. AZ doesn't make our list.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:11 AM

649 posts, read 554,759 times
Funny how everyone equates Arizona with Phoenix. I noted that one poster said Az doesn't have any mountains, except for the 26 that are over 10k feet, which is 26 more than any state east of Colorado. Flagstaff is one of the snowiest cities in the country with over 100 inches per year.

Southern AZ is high desert, which is really grassland and mountains. Parts of Az have forests that would have you thinking your in the PNW. I love both Arizona and New Mexico, but NM taxes everything, to include SS.

So Phoenix is NOT Arizona, just like New York City is not New York.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:20 AM

38,252 posts, read 14,949,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post

I'm hoping North Carolina pans out as a summer beach home destination, but we have a few (very few) options still on the table if it doesn't.
Lots of NC beach homes for sale right now. The insurance picture is changing as the feds are pulling out of subsidizing flood insurance, which many homes require, and home insurance is going up every year, in some areas as much 10+% a year.

This is happening all along coastal areas.

Coastal Homeowners Upset with Insurers, Regulators Over Surge in Insurance Costs

We were at the beach earlier this month and it seemed like every third home had a for sale sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement