U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 PM

197 posts, read 161,362 times

Advertisements

I have been stalking this site for months and am impressed by the financial insights provided.

My ex husband ( an economist) did much of the long term planning and so after my January divorce when I

concurrently became eligible for medicare I had a steep learning curve ahead of me to educate myself as

to how to maximize my financial security.

I have a question about my eligibility for spousal support and the timing involved in claiming it.

Yes, I have a financial advisor but she does not appear to be as knowledgeable about SS questions as many contributors to this forum. Hence I am timidly making my first post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,587,787 times
If you are 66 you can claim on his ss as long as you have been married 10 years.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:32 PM

Default Part 2 of Divorced and facing SS in same month. Enlightenment sought.

Oh dear. I did warn that I"m a newbie. I seem to have prematurely posted!

Some facts about my situation to provide a context for my spousal support question:-

I will be 66 in January 2015 and am currently employed PT in a 9 month contract at a monthly gross income of $3,000. So $ 27,000 annual income.

I intend to work for 2 more years ( until 67; the summer of 2016)

Until Dec 2016 I am receiving $3,000 alimony monthly

I have no debt and own a home

Currently my traditional IRA accounts are valued at $ 950,000.Hopefully 1m when I finish work in 2016

I have no private pension

My ex husband does not intend to claim SS at his FRA of 66 in June 2015. He is maxed out and should receive $2,500 I believe at that time. He plans to claim in 2017.

I wish to claim spousal support which will be more that the SS I am entitled to in my own right ( probably $900)

My questions are as follows: first, may I claim spousal support in January 2015 when I am FRA even though

my husband will be only 65.5 and not yet claiming benefits.; second, if the answer is in the affirmative,

is it possible to claim spousal benefit and claim and suspend my own SS until 70 or at least for a couple

more years by which time it will grow? I plan to remarry within the next few years ( yes, I have

someone in mind!) I know that I will lose

spousal support at that time but it would allow my SS to grow for a couple more years at least: third, is

there any good reason that I should not claim SS benefit at all while I am working for the next 2

years as I do not need the income and will just pay more tax?

Any insights or comments will be gratefully and humbly received!

Old 07-29-2014, 02:56 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,180,393 times
First of all you must have been married ten full years to your Ex, then you must wait two years from the date of the divorce to file on his record.
It does not matter if he has filed or not as long as he is elegible to file.
you can claim spousal benefit and let your own accumulate as long as you do it Full retirement age probably 66 for you.

Also since you are over 60 if you remarry you do not lose your spousal benefit.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:33 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,861,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgirl49 View Post
Oh dear. I did warn that I"m a newbie. ...

more years by which time it will grow? I plan to remarry within the next few years ( yes, I have

someone in mind!) I know that I will lose

spousal support at that time but it would allow my SS to grow for a couple more years at least: third, is

there any good reason that I should not claim SS benefit at all while I am working for the next 2

years as I do not need the income and will just pay more tax?

Any insights or comments will be gratefully and humbly received!

No problem on the first we have all done something similar.

As for the second highlight I believe if you wait until 70 to remarry or an age later you can continue to collect on ex SS. Someone might enlighten here. I am pretty sure I saw that in here on one of the posts.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:06 PM

3,746 posts, read 4,227,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
First of all you must have been married ten full years to your Ex, then you must wait two years from the date of the divorce to file on his record.
It does not matter if he has filed or not as long as he is elegible to file.
you can claim spousal benefit and let your own accumulate as long as you do it Full retirement age probably 66 for you.

Also since you are over 60 if you remarry you do not lose your spousal benefit.
She will lose the spousal benefit upon remarriage. She will not lose the Survivor benefit.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,180,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
She will lose the spousal benefit upon remarriage. She will not lose the Survivor benefit.
Ah yes, guess I was thinking survivor for some unknown reason.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:52 PM

Survivor benefit? Surviving a failed marriage? My ex is certainly alive and well!

How is survivor benefit calculated and is it in addition to my own SS?

Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 PM

I think I misread the previous 2 posts.

I could hardly be eligible for survival benefit. I am disconcerted to read that I need to wait 2 years after divorce to file for spousal benefit

Old 07-30-2014, 01:27 PM

2,013 posts, read 2,652,087 times
Here. Best to get it from the actual source.

Retirement Planner: If You Are Divorced
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or