U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 06:20 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,815,911 times

Advertisements

[quote=sheri257;2325758]True but, I'm not invested in any stocks now. I'm waiting for the market to crash ... then I'll get into stocks again.
[quote]

Oh dear...

I had a sudden flashback to 1994. Real estate was plummeting in the L.A. area and we were trying to advise my friend that she would never have a better opportunity to buy a house.

She always wanted a house but she kept putting it off, convinced she should "just wait a little more, I'm waiting for the market to crash ... "

It never did, of course. Crashes aren't very common, even though the media likes to predict them. They do that because it sells newspapers, not because it's realistic.

The idea is to buy low, sell high. Don't worry about getting the best possible bargain, just get a good bargain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 08:35 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,794,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

Oh dear...

I had a sudden flashback to 1994. Real estate was plummeting in the L.A. area and we were trying to advise my friend that she would never have a better opportunity to buy a house.

She always wanted a house but she kept putting it off, convinced she should "just wait a little more, I'm waiting for the market to crash ... "

It never did, of course. Crashes aren't very common, even though the media likes to predict them. They do that because it sells newspapers, not because it's realistic.

The idea is to buy low, sell high. Don't worry about getting the best possible bargain, just get a good bargain.
Ok ... I misspoke ...

I'm not so much waiting for the market to "crash" but I do think we're in a bear market right now ...

Afterall from 2000-2002 the Dow went from a high of 11700 down to 7400. What would be the point of buying stocks then just to see them go down further?

I don't expect to get the best possible bargain but ... I'm not really interested in buying at the beginning of the downslide either when everything is heading south.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:49 AM

Sherri, the trick is to buy individual stocks for companies that you have researched (or are personally familiar with). Look for companies that have exciting plans, or a new product that seems promising. There are always good places to invest, no matter what is happening to the market in general. If you would like to learn more about how to research good stocks, I suggest stopping by a library or bookstore and reading through Jim Cramer's books or "Use the News" by Maria Bartiromo. I don't necessarily agree with the specific stock advice they give, but their books will teach you how to do research.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I suggest stopping by a library or bookstore and reading through Jim Cramer's books or "Use the News" by Maria Bartiromo. I don't necessarily agree with the specific stock advice they give, but their books will teach you how to do research.
Jim Cramer?

OMG ... do you realize how many times he's been wrong?

Old 12-24-2007, 08:55 AM

If you want to make money, look at each situation on a case-by-case basis. Just because you think "the market" in general is going south does not mean that every single stock is going south. The same is true for real estate. In general, prices have not hit bottom...so in general it is not smart to buy real estate this year. But, look at each property on a case-by-case basis. Determine what the lowest price would be (in 2009), and you might be able to talk a seller into that price today.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Just because you think "the market" in general is going south does not mean that every single stock is going south.
True but ... most of them do get dragged down in a down market.

Oh well ... I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. We'll have to check back in a couple of years to see who was right.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:38 AM

384 posts, read 219,703 times
Jim Cramer?

I like to think I have enough brains to not even watch that show.
You actually think he cares what your stocks/mutual do?
He's an entertainer,it what he does and get paid well for acting like an idiot.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:44 AM

384 posts, read 219,703 times
so in general it is not smart to buy real estate this year.

Thats not true at all as most real estate sales , especially here in Florida, are now being brought out by foreign investors where their bucks buys more.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones View Post
Jim Cramer?

I like to think I have enough brains to not even watch that show.
You actually think he cares what your stocks/mutual do?
He's an entertainer,it what he does and get paid well for acting like an idiot.
He knows how to do research, and explains it very well for the beginning investor. That was my point.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones View Post
so in general it is not smart to buy real estate this year.
I did not say that AT ALL. As many of you know, I just bought property in Georgia. Yes, I know you are just trying to yank my chain--but tyhanks for the opportunity to say it one omre time:

I do not believe in following general trends or listening to assumptions. Ever.
I have made my money by taking everything on a case-by-case basis, and striking when the opportunity seemed right (no matter what the "market" said.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement