U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:28 PM

7,118 posts, read 8,163,742 times

Advertisements

I don't know why so many people assume that they "have to" join AARP, like it's some rite-of-passage.

Wife and I did not join, and do not get any junk mail from them. We tend to be conservative/libertarian in our political views, and can spot money-grubbers a mile away. Some neighbors have said that AARP was helpful in choosing Medicare Part "D" plans...so the insurance involvement is real. The ACA was vigorously supported by AARP for the same reason - insurance sales (= income for them).

But then, 65 came and went for both of us, without signing up for Medicare. We actually had to "opt out", which was a royal pain. Don't let anyone tell you that signing up for Medicare is mandatory, either. If you have insurance you like, and can keep it after 65, by all means do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 02:30 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,583,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Dropped my AARP membership and joined AMAC. AARP exists only to sell insurance, make a profit and support Democrats. A plague on them.
I agree! And so much junk mail

Old 08-01-2014, 04:15 PM

9,777 posts, read 14,964,618 times
When I turned 50 a long time ago I got a promotional brochure fro AARP along with a free three month membership. I did not ask for it. The very first magazine I got advocated for abolishing the right to bear arms. I told them to take me off their list and their unconstitutional treasonous organization would never get any money from me. "Never" is a really long time.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:12 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,506,246 times
Early or late, no real benefits I can think of.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:35 PM

18,130 posts, read 23,010,120 times
I have a funny AARP story.

I have always believed I'd never join AARP, but I recently did. But, not for any of their benefits.

I was surfing the internet, and saw an ad for a sweepstakes for something like $50,000 on AARP. I thought, what the heck!

Then, their website sucked me in, and I found their rewards program. You get points for doing their quizzes and calculators and whatnot. It's called Rewards for Good.

With the rewards, you can use them for their auctions and discount gift cards and sales, etc. So, I checked it out and they had some pretty good auctions for gas gift cards. I'm on a fixed income and getting free gas sounded good to me!

So, I racked up enough points to win a $25 gift card for BP/Arco gas. Woo hoo! Well, if you are an AARP member, you get 50% more points for every quiz, etc., you take. I thought, hmmmmm... Did the math, and decided to join for $16.00, to get the maximum rewards.

I just won another $25 gift card tonight before coming to CD for Safeway, which I can also use for gas, as the Safeways here have gas stations. Once I became a member I was able to rack up more points, more quickly.

Now, I've done pretty much all the quizzes, etc. If you care about these, join first, and save up your points for the $100 gift cards, since hardly anyone does that. You get way more bang for your reward bucks.

Shortly after I joined, they sent me an email about renter's insurance with a quote that's better than the deal I was getting from Geico, which was a good deal. I called them, and I now get about twice the coverage for less money. I think my premium went down from $25 to around $13 and I get nearly twice the coverage. And it turns out, you don't have to stay a member to continue getting the discounted rate. It's through The Hartford. I asked specifically what happens if I don't renew my AARP membership and they said, no problem. Once you are in at the AARP rate, you're good forever.

So, when my membership ends next year, I'll have to reassess my reward point options, he he. They were not able to offer me a better deal on any of my other insurance rates.

I highly suggest you join, then do all their Rewards for Good quizzes, etc. (there's a page with all the links to the things that will give you points), and don't use them until you've racked up as many points as you can. Then go for the $100 gift cards, or the Apple products, etc., they sometimes auction.

Other than that and the cheaper renter's insurance, I find AARP to just be an advertising machine.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:59 AM

8,793 posts, read 5,668,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, just as one quick example, Walgreens has monthly senior discount days in which seniors who qualify receive 20% off all regularly-priced merchandise. To qualify, one needs to be either 55+ or be an AARP member. So at 54, you'd only qualify for the discount by joining AARP.

BTW, this month's senior day is this coming Tuesday, August 5th.

Senior Savings Day | Walgreens
Thanks for answering my question -- without a CD standard political rant.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:33 AM

35,596 posts, read 10,539,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
I would not join this organization at any age. They helped foist the ACA on America hoping to make billions promoting required insurance sales. There are other more liberal (meaning not wanting government dictates) organizations with equal benefits.

Not only that, but the AARP has had to issue clarifications and actually back-track from a succession of misunderstood statements over the years in support of means-testing SS and Medicare recipients.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 AM

35,596 posts, read 10,539,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..am I the only one left that sits down with a printed out 1040, papers and a calculator and does their own taxes by hand ?
No. We do, too. Which is why we always have to stick our tongues back in our mouths and our eyes back in our heads after perusing the "Earned Income Tax Credit" tables. Perhaps if more people prepared their own taxes they, too, would see just what that annual giveaway amounts to.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:32 AM

8,204 posts, read 11,925,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Thanks for answering my question -- without a CD standard political rant.
My pleasure.

You did not ask if you should join AARP.

You did not ask for opinions on AARP in general.

You certainly didn't ask for frothing-at-the-mouth denunciations of AARP.

You simply asked if there were any specific benefits to joining AARP at age 54.

It seemed like a simple, straightforward question to me.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:58 AM

720 posts, read 1,486,263 times
We get discounts when paying for campsites (10% at participating campgrounds), have gotten the best auto and home insurance rates (DH checks every 2 years) and that's about it so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or