Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:25 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times

Advertisements

I'll be heading over to the Kentucky stretch of the World's Longest Yard Sale, aka the U.S. 127 Sale, several days this week, as it's only about a 45 minute drive from my home to the closest spot to hop onto 127. Officially, the sale starts on Thursday, but in reality, vendors set up several days in advance. Traffic increases each day, so going a day or two ahead of the official starting date makes it easier. I usually drive the stretch between Frankfort and Junction City, but have gone farther (in both directions) in previous years.

Already got the paper towels, extra bags, bottled water, umbrella (probably won't need it) and hand sanitizer in my car, with snacks ready to go. Need to hit the bank and gas up the car, then head over to treasure-hunt! People-watching and striking up conversations are other popular 127 Sale activities, as people come from everywhere to attend this incredible event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:00 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I'll be heading over to the Kentucky stretch of the World's Longest Yard Sale, aka the U.S. 127 Sale, several days this week, as it's only about a 45 minute drive from my home to the closest spot to hop onto 127. Officially, the sale starts on Thursday, but in reality, vendors set up several days in advance. Traffic increases each day, so going a day or two ahead of the official starting date makes it easier. I usually drive the stretch between Frankfort and Junction City, but have gone farther (in both directions) in previous years.

Already got the paper towels, extra bags, bottled water, umbrella (probably won't need it) and hand sanitizer in my car, with snacks ready to go. Need to hit the bank and gas up the car, then head over to treasure-hunt! People-watching and striking up conversations are other popular 127 Sale activities, as people come from everywhere to attend this incredible event.
This sounds like a lot of fun. I would have to bring a shopping cart, lol. Sounds like a great place to meet people, too. Post a pic after you go!

Old 08-04-2014, 07:10 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:

I would love that!

Old 08-04-2014, 07:12 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wow, I wouldn't mind ending my days there! Thanks for posting.
It's beautiful but the island is 3 miles x 1.5. Packed with tourists in summer but dead in winter. As for shopping..... forget it. People travel over to the mainland to shop which entails a 5 minute ferry trip, then travel across another island for 35 miles, then a 45 minute ferry trip.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:27 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,215 times
Newport RI and Block Island. Never been, but stayed at the jailhouse inn, parked the car for 2 days and had a great time. Lot's of sights, shopping, food, nightlife and plenty to do. The cliff walk and mansion tours (especially the servants tour) were tremendous. I'd go again in a heartbeat!

Old 08-04-2014, 08:36 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Yes, Siesta Key Beach for two days, Florida Keys for day dive trips once a week.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:52 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
John just got back from the air show in Osh Kosh and visiting his mother for two nights. I'd rather someone just shoot me in the head and drop me in a field somewhere then do either of those things.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
John just got back from the air show in Osh Kosh and visiting his mother for two nights. I'd rather someone just shoot me in the head and drop me in a field somewhere then do either of those things.
You deserve some kind of medal for that. You must be glad to be back home.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:21 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:

Does that ever sound like FUN! You are so well prepared too, lol. I've heard of that yard sale and it is famous. There's nothing like the thrill of the hunt!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:25 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Had lunch in Mexico two weeks ago. This past weekend we went to the mountains and got rained on (LOVELY, LOVELY RAIN we so badly needed it!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement