Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:57 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,425,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Had any weekend or even weekday getaways lately?
One of the joys of summer (especially when you live in a climate with horrible winters) are 2-3 day summer getaways.
Always always Monday - Friday. Why compete with people that only have 2 days off from work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Ironic. Our summer getaways are to escape the brutal heat/humidity. Winters are great. Actually, 8-9 months are great, but July/August can be... not so great.
I'm with astrohip, LOL.
In my area we either head for the coast, or head for the hills.
Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, South end of Sequoia, and the Tahoe area.
San Diego.
Idyllwild, Big Bear Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 12:59 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,543,753 times
Went to the Isle of Iona this week for two nights.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:58 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
My girlfriend and I just got back from a two day trip on the beach a three hour drive from our home. The weather was beautiful, and we drove a long way, since Galveston Island, the beach much closer to us, is so disgustingly polluted we won't even sunbathe near the water, much less get in it. The day after we got there, we went out to swim and met a very chatty guy, his daughter and his dog. Just before we got in his dog pooped in the water. EEEWWW! After going back and forth about it, we decided to swim anyway since we had driven so far, but we did move away from where they had been swimming. Soon after we got back home, we were both seized by bouts of severe diarrhea and stomach cramps that lasted over two days. Was the dog's poop the cause of it? I don't know, but the timing sure is interesting. On the plus side, while we were there, we both got a terrific tan and my girlfriend asked me to marry her. I said yes

Old 08-02-2014, 04:52 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Couple of weekends ago we struck out for Savannah. It was a nice weekend. We needed ocean.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:19 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
Like many recent retirees, I take care of my elderly mother. She is disabled, a fall risk, sometimes sharp but sometimes confused, so cannot be left alone all day. I get 3-4 days off about every 18 months when one of my siblings comes here to stay with her. The deal was supposed to be I would get two weeks off per year, but the sicker she gets the more excuses people have as to why they can't visit. I can't work to supplement my SS, so paying someone to stay with her is not an option.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:40 PM

503 posts, read 1,203,653 times
I always go to the Twin Mountain Area of NH White mountains for 2 or 3 days each summer. In a few weeks I'll be taking a cruise out of New Orleans to the western caribbean.

I live in MA and I keep thinking about moving to FL because I hate the cold now but I just can't seem to pull the trigger.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:00 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
luvmyhoss, Rockport MA? Is it gorgeous there or what? That's a day out for me too, a perfect day with wonderful little shops, great ocean scenery, and good eats. I hope you had a wonderful time.

catsy girl, it's an eye opener to return to a place where you used to go. What a shame that those beaches have changed so much for the worse. The 40 minutes away beach sounds like a much better getaway.

ipoetry, There's a lot to do in Rhode Island and for those ofus who live in MA, it's not too far for a short getaway. Welfleet (sigh). I don't do Boston but I'll be forced to if I want to go to a great museum. I hope you have a good time.

What someone said--we're retired and we DON'T have to battle the traffic. Leave on a Monday when the suckers are going to work hahahaha. It's so enjoyable listening to the Friday and Sunday traffic reports on radio and tv--that the non-retirees are not stuck in.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:02 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
it's usually a beach or some mountains for a quick getaway, so it seems. Although maybe an interesting nearby city too.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:10 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Went to the Isle of Iona this week for two nights.
I'd love to see a few pics of the Isle.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:12 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Ironic. Our summer getaways are to escape the brutal heat/humidity. Winters are great. Actually, 8-9 months are great, but July/August can be... not so great.

Over the next 2 1/2 months, we have 5 days in Aspen, four days in Portland (OR, not Maine), 5 days in Santa Fe and then 2 weeks in Kauai.

Other than the Hawaii trip, we mostly do shorter excursions. Gives us a break from Houston summers. However, next summer we are considering spending 6-8 weeks somewhere in the Rockies. Colorado to Montana area.
The question posed was weekend getaways and day trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement